S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Strange vibrations when u-turning at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange vibrations when u-turning at low speed

Last week, I started to notice a light vibration in the front everytime the steering wheel is completely rotated towards one end, at slow speed of course (when parking or u-turning).
It feels like the back wheels are pushing the fronts into understeer.

In my VW Touareg, similar behaviour was caused by a faulty stepper motor in, forcing me to bring it back to the shop more than 15 times.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I haven't experienced anything like that nor have I heard of this on the S4. However, there has been a lot of talk on the B8 A4 forums re what sounds like your issue and is apparently caused by the power steering hose. Do a search over there, see if that is the same as what you are experiencing. Also, you should not turn the wheel all the way to the stop as an fyi.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by no cell
Also, you should not turn the wheel all the way to the stop as an fyi.
Why on earth not?
Old 06-02-2010, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You know, that's a good question that I don't have the answer for. Maybe I should have qualified my post by stating that that is what I have read many times over the years. Maybe it is not true? Anyone else chime in on this with more knowledge than me?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I too am experiencing this strange vibration.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Same here
Old 06-02-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I get the vibration at or near the stop, which I attribute to it being a AWD car and having different characteristics than my RWD ones.

On the "don't turn the wheel all the way" issue, as an engineer, there is absolutely no reason to not turn the wheel all the way. If turning the wheel beyond a certain point would damage anything, you would expect a "stop" before that point, right? If the existing "stop" were too far, ie not before the point of damage, you would expect (1) for some design engineer to be fired and (2) for there to be some mention of that in the documentation.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GiantEli
Why on earth not?
I recall reading somewhere that when you turn the wheel all the way its puts such a large amount of stress on the pump, that it can cause problems.

Its not like one makes U-turns every time they drive so i dont think its a huge deal
Old 06-02-2010, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also started experience this, happened a few times last week, hasn't happened since. 7000 miles.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My $0.02... I don't have my S4 yet, but I've driven 09 and 10 A4 quattro loaners and they have made the same noise. I don't think it has anything to do with the PS pump... I think it's the quattro, as I've also driven FWD A4s and never experienced this.

RE: Damage from turning steering wheel to stop... BMW literature (from my past) suggests not holding your steering at full stop for extended periods... apparently it can cause pump damage. I think this applies to any car. Ever since I read that I'm overly careful not to lock the steering wheel... that noise effs with my inner peace.

That's all.

Quick Reply: Strange vibrations when u-turning at low speed