S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Summer tires in "winter"

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer tires in "winter"

I live in Atlanta and am slightly concerned about the summer tires that will be coming on my S4 for winter driving. It might snow once in the winter and other than that low temps during the day are usually in the high 20's / low 30's.

Should I go ahead and get all-weather tires now and get rid of the summer tires? Please keep in mind I do not have a place to store the summer tires to switch out with the seasons.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Summer tires cannot handle temps that low safely. Get all seasons imo.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Although I don't typically advocate summer tires in winter, in Atlanta you'll be fine. If it snows no one goes to work anyway and often not when it's cold as well (20's). The issue (in addition to less aggressive tread than snowtires) is that the summer performance tire rubber compound gets hard in cold weather. Some say it's like riding on hockey pucks. But as long as you take it slow on those cold mornings until the tires have a chance to heat up through the friction of motion you'll be ok. Of course your afternoon/evening commute should be easy at well above freezing.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you are going to run only one set of wheels/tires all year then run UHPAS (ultra high performance all season tires).

Bruce
Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never took off my summer tires last winter here in SE PA. Temps got down to zero. But NEVER drove on anything but clear roads. I know that summer tires are not recommended for temps under 40 degrees becuse the rubber gers really hard and traction is reduced. You MIGHT just get buy if you don't get any snow or sleet. But if you do, you actually will be able to go. You just won't be able to stop or turn. If you can only run one set of tires, you really would be better off with UHP allseasons. I would suggest geting the Dunlop Extreme DWS tires. Or Michelin sport A/s tires. Dunlops are signifiantly cheaper.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DrGP
Never took off my summer tires last winter here in SE PA. Temps got down to zero. But NEVER drove on anything but clear roads. I know that summer tires are not recommended for temps under 40 degrees becuse the rubber gers really hard and traction is reduced. You MIGHT just get buy if you don't get any snow or sleet. But if you do, you actually will be able to go. You just won't be able to stop or turn. If you can only run one set of tires, you really would be better off with UHP allseasons. I would suggest geting the Dunlop Extreme DWS tires. Or Michelin sport A/s tires. Dunlops are signifiantly cheaper.
Aren't those Continentals DrGP instead of Dunlops?

Bruce
Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
If you are going to run only one set of wheels/tires all year then run UHPAS (ultra high performance all season tires).
+1
I had summer tires when I lived in Atlanta but switched to conti DWS and it made a world of a difference. Just get a set of UHP all season you Will be happy
Old 07-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also never took off my summer tires here in NYC. And we had probably one of the worst Winters ever with those crazy blizzards. But I can tell ya that I was scared out of my mind driving through the snow. There were plenty of times where I stop skidded at red lights...and I was driving extremely slow. I plan on getting the Conti's before this coming Winter.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Garooo
I also never took off my summer tires here in NYC. And we had probably one of the worst Winters ever with those crazy blizzards. But I can tell ya that I was scared out of my mind driving through the snow. There were plenty of times where I stop skidded at red lights...and I was driving extremely slow. I plan on getting the Conti's before this coming Winter.
All I can say is that anyone who drives with summer tires in the winter cold/conditions deserves to have their S4 in an accident. As others have mentioned, it is not just snow but colder temps that will neuter your traction. Seriously people, stop being stupid and risking your life/car as well as others on the road with you. Sheesh!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is like asking if it's okay to go ice skating with high heels on.

Quick Reply: Summer tires in "winter"