S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Summer tires in "winter"

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some "summer only" tires warn not to use in below freezing temps since it can cause the rubber to crack and/or traction will decrease dramatically even on dry roads. I've only seen this disclaimer on a few "summer only" tires though.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got my 2011 S4 in May (Original owner bought in August '10) so have yet to experience the wonders of Quattro in wet weather. Here in the bay area I don't expect to see much though, no snow, barely dips below 40 in the winters =D. That said be interesting to compare the drive in rain/pouring rain from my previous 2000 Nissan Altima to the S4 :-).
Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
Some "summer only" tires warn not to use in below freezing temps since it can cause the rubber to crack and/or traction will decrease dramatically even on dry roads. I've only seen this disclaimer on a few "summer only" tires though.
If it is a true "summer only" tire, none of them will be a good bet in sub 40 degree temps.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I live North of Pittsburgh PA. Winters can be nasty! You have a death wish if you are driving on Ultra High Perfomance Summer Tires in Temps below 32 degrees. I have the Peelers and 19" P-Zero Rossos for Summer. Just ordered a set of VMR V710s Gunmetal 18x8.5 with Michelin Alpin PS3s Ultra High Perfomance Winters. I suggest getting a dedicated 18" Wheel & Winter Tire Set just for Winter. Car will go like a tank!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

My first set of tires on my '99 A4 were the stock sport tires. The sales guy told me that most here in Boulder got all-seasons. I thought to myself, "silly sales-guy, I have all-wheel drive".

During my first winter with the car I hit the gas a little too hard coming out of an icy corner on I-70 and fish-tailed my way to the side of the road. I've been running all seasons ever since (12 years).

You can keep the HP tires, but understand the risk. When I get my S4 I will switch tires in and out. I am going to assume there is no low-torque setting on my foot. ;-)

FWIW, I am (and was) an experience snow driver, having spent several seasons in Tahoe and Vail, and driving regularly to the mountains in the snow... of course, prior to my A4 that was in my GTi.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't be like this idiot and blame the brakes for the wrong tires:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...er+tire&page=2
Old 07-30-2011, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Asking if it's ok to drive in freezing temperatures or on snow with summer tires is like asking if it's ok to drive after having a few drinks. Don't do it. Not only are you putting yourself at risk, more importantly you're putting other drivers around you at risk.

All wheel drive isn't even a consideration here. AWD doesn't stop cars, tires do.

If you have alternate transportation to use on snow days (second car, bus, walk, work from home) then sure, you can get by without winter or A/S tires.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
Aren't those Continentals DrGP instead of Dunlops?

Bruce
My bad. I was thinking about the Dunlops that are currently on my car.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Like most everyone else, it's silly/irresponsible to recommend driving in the snow or severe cold in summer performance tires.

That being said, I did just that this last winter in Northwest Arkansas where we had one of the most miserable ( snow+cold) winters on record. I have a lot of experience driving in the snow, but mostly avoided driving with snow or ice on the ground. My experience was that you can do it, but it was very noticeably dangerous stopping or making turns. Which means it was dangerous.

Now I did make a 200 mile round trip with the roads clear and temps hovering around 10 F and never noticed a problem. For me it was the snow/ice that was the issue.

For what it's worth, I will be switching to all season tires before this next winter.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Goony
All I can say is that anyone who drives with summer tires in the winter cold/conditions deserves to have their S4 in an accident. As others have mentioned, it is not just snow but colder temps that will neuter your traction. Seriously people, stop being stupid and risking your life/car as well as others on the road with you. Sheesh!
Hi, I am new to S4, know little about cars, live in San Francisco bay area (no snow all year round). But I go ski several times a year and am using the standard 2012 S4 tires. Any suggestions for my ski trips?

Quick Reply: Summer tires in "winter"