S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Sunroof leakage at car wash

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
Another case of posters answering a different question than the one the OP asked.
Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
It could happen with a great seal if the jets are strong enough and pointed right down into the seal. Car washes are my bane, I hand wash and an never sorry.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pfcoach
Had my S4 for 6 weeks. Twice I've gone into the same car wash w/the sunroof shade cover pulled back, i.e., sunroof closed. The wash jets were very powerful but I was still shocked to have some water leak through. Anyone else have this problem or have you all gone in w/the shade closed? Seems like a (partially?) defective seal.

Sprint Blue Prestige Sport Diff Auto rear & side shades Blk silk nappa
As one readers response to your question(s): No such problem experineced and yes do leave 'shade' open. [By car wash however the systems I sometimes use is (new) and all 'soap / brush wash / rinse / then hand wipe'. Know that carwashes vary, so unlikely apple to apple comparison. No 'power niozzels' though ...and no micro scratches that I have noted].

Either way it could be the Bulb Seal is not engaging w/enough overlap against perimeter roof sheetmetal, suggesting
a) seal profile and or fit is partially defect or
b) full close function is not closing 'complete' to end of close stroke
Would seem your Dealer should be able to identify and fix quickly - if you wash again beforehand, you 'might' want to take before and after photo's of Sunroof Seal close & (after) Cabin leak condition, also some detail on what 'power nozzel conditions' your using?

Don't know the latter 'conditions' but IF for example you're directing a nozzel w/over 7 bar pressure at Bulb Seal for long enough time then probability is that water ingress will happen. Seals are designed to sustain greater pressures for short time [OEM's benchmark the washer nozeel pressures for helping determine their design specs] BUT there is some variation in every car build which - in case of sealing - at lower end of tolerances might not full comply with conditions exceed max design intent spec. This scenario may have nothing to do with cause in the end, but given that no other cars with problem are so far noted, this cause I am guessing is more probable than a) / b) noted above.

Am interested in final determined cause noted by your Dealer
Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eggplant Wizard
I do touchless automatic all the time with no problem. If it's leaking, tell the dealer.
I use a touchless once or twice a week with no at all problems on my Audi (my Vette always leaks). Maybe you should try another car wash so see if the one you use has too much pressure. Then see the dealer.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Sunroof leak continued

Originally Posted by S4Tokyo
As one readers response to your question(s): No such problem experineced and yes do leave 'shade' open. [By car wash however the systems I sometimes use is (new) and all 'soap / brush wash / rinse / then hand wipe'. Know that carwashes vary, so unlikely apple to apple comparison. No 'power niozzels' though ...and no micro scratches that I have noted].

Either way it could be the Bulb Seal is not engaging w/enough overlap against perimeter roof sheetmetal, suggesting
a) seal profile and or fit is partially defect or
b) full close function is not closing 'complete' to end of close stroke
Would seem your Dealer should be able to identify and fix quickly - if you wash again beforehand, you 'might' want to take before and after photo's of Sunroof Seal close & (after) Cabin leak condition, also some detail on what 'power nozzel conditions' your using?

Don't know the latter 'conditions' but IF for example you're directing a nozzel w/over 7 bar pressure at Bulb Seal for long enough time then probability is that water ingress will happen. Seals are designed to sustain greater pressures for short time [OEM's benchmark the washer nozeel pressures for helping determine their design specs] BUT there is some variation in every car build which - in case of sealing - at lower end of tolerances might not full comply with conditions exceed max design intent spec. This scenario may have nothing to do with cause in the end, but given that no other cars with problem are so far noted, this cause I am guessing is more probable than a) / b) noted above.

Am interested in final determined cause noted by your Dealer
THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE POSTED ON THIS! This particular post asks some excellent detailed questions
1) The pressure on the drive-thru car wash (I was in the car) is very high. That is part of why I was asking the question. If I do visit this wash again (gets the car very clean), I will try to get a picture.
Incidentally, I've also noticed a significant amount of H2O inside the doors jambs; so I'm inclined to believe this is a water pressure issue & not the seals.

2) No, I've not seen any leakage when it rains, although I can't be positive that I've had the sunroof shade pulled back.

3) I did go into another drive-thru car wash w/o noticing an issue; however I also did not have the shade open.

4) I will have the dealer check this out at 5000 mile service.

Thanks to all for the idea of a "gentler" wash. Seems like good advice.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another case of posters answering a different question than the one the OP asked.

IMO, the roof shouldn't leak. My current Audi has been through the carwash with no visible damage many times and has never leaked to date.

What do you guys do when it's 40F in March, the first day over freezing in a week and there's an inch of salt and slush caked to your car? Handwash while standing in a snowbank? Have fun with that.
Indoor handwash.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

What do you guys do when it's 40F in March, the first day over freezing in a week and there's an inch of salt and slush caked to your car? Handwash while standing in a snowbank? Have fun with that.
Yes, because that 40f feels like 70f after its been mid 20's for a week.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We use a very high pressure touchless wash near our home on both my wife's A4 and my S4 at least twice a week and have never had any leakage on the windows or sunroof. I always spray all four wheels with cleaner before entering the wash and now that I am using the Armor All wheel protectant after my weekend hand wash sessions, it cleans 99% of the brake dust off. Good luck with your leak.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

IMO, the roof shouldn't leak. My current Audi has been through the carwash with no visible damage many times and has never leaked to date.

well, when it is 40degrees out and an inch of salt and slush caked on the car,common sense would tell you that you should either wait until it clears/melts(giant snowbanks)and if possible/warm enough you could then wash yourself or bring it to a trusted (indoor)detailer like I like to do.BTW if the (brand new)car leaks at all, ANYWHERE, during a car wash,torrential downpour or monsoon season ,that is an absolute and positive warranty fix free by any Audi dealer.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BLACK10-S4P
well, when it is 40degrees out and an inch of salt and slush caked on the car,common sense would tell you that you should either wait until it clears/melts(giant snowbanks)and if possible/warm enough you could then wash yourself or bring it to a trusted (indoor)detailer like I like to do.BTW if the (brand new)car leaks at all, ANYWHERE, during a car wash,torrential downpour or monsoon season ,that is an absolute and positive warranty fix free by any Audi dealer.
:-) Not sure where your from, but give NH a visit sometime mid-winter. Have seen snow on the ground from Jan to Mar (with a bonus April 1 snowstorm one year).

I have a quatro Audi because of the winter and it's an S4 so that I can have some fun for that half of the year.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, getting it detailed would be a total waste of money, the car is slushy and salty again (when conditions are "right") within a day. All you're trying to do is get the crap off your car so it doesn't just sit there and digest it!

Quick Reply: Sunroof leakage at car wash