S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Swapping the supercharger pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MickeySaleen
How much is an ECU tune for these cars? Are they worth the funds?

My Saleen is definitely dyno tuned due to the fact that you would be on borrowed time running this much power on the stock motor without fine tuning.

So I guess I am asking the average price difference between a piggy back tune and a custom tune and the average differences in power between the two..
This is the first model year for the S4 in the states, coupled with Audi using a new piece of hardware for the ECU which had new encryption on it. This meant time to crack the encryption before work could even really begin, setting things back another step from just dealing with a new engine model.

At present there are 2 companies close to a full tune, GIAC and APR (Stasis will be selling a de-tuned version of the GIAC software which will be warrantied against damage to the car through authorized Audi dealers). No release dates or pricing is out yet, the Stasis tune has been seen to list at $1200 or so, which of course has to build in warranty money, so I would think the others will show for 600-800 maybe as much as $1K. I also expect to see something by July/Aug, but I could be off a little. GIAC is supposed to also be working on a SC upgrade, since the stock one is very small, I could see a swap to the next size up from Eaton, the R1650 (1.65L discplacement SC) as a smart upgrade - ironically Eaton states that the recommended engine size for our SC is a 2.2L and the 1650 is a 3.0L so we'll see

Piggy backs are a good stop gap, but as you are likely aware, this is just fooling the stock ECU code with false signals to trick it into adding more power. The problem is that the stock parameters are what the ECU is locked to, so a piggy back cannot pushthe ECU past whatever Audi hard coded in. It also cannot affect timing directly, which is a large blokcing factor when dealing with FI engines. MTM is the main piggy back seller, and they want $2400+ for their chip. As a result, there are many waiting patiently (well maybe not, but we have not choice but to be patient)for a full blown ECU tune.

Audi underrated this engine we already know, from many dyno pulls. 333HP at the crank they claim, but there have been several 285-300HP dyno runs, which doesn't compute with the drivetrain loss on an AWD vehicle. You can also look at the weight of the car and see it's numbers compared to the 335i or just drag strip tickets and tell that the numbers don't add up for a 4,000lb+ car. We are looking at a likely ~450HP tune from just an ECU change alone.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats great info, thanks a lot! 450hp from a tune, now thats power! Im sure yall have seen/discussed the following video below, but what are your thoughts on the power being made?

Crap, Im at work and they block youtube...anyways, its the video of the blue wagon S4 making roughly 428bhp with an exhaust and tune on the dyno...

And here is MTM claiming 430bhp without any aftermarket exhaust or intake
http://www.4wheelsnews.com/mtm-gives...o-the-audi-s4/
Old 06-23-2010, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Crap, how much cash do I have to save for the 1650?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My motor is only 4.6L pushing only 6.9psi and my car makes just north of 500rwhp, so roughly 600bhp. My supercharger is a twin screw, which is much more efficient and advanced than an eaton blower.
Anything else done to the car to make over 500 at the wheels with that little boost? Most 3v's with 7psi aint making 500 at the wheels....
Old 06-23-2010, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thats great info, thanks a lot! 450hp from a tune, now thats power! Im sure yall have seen/discussed the following video below, but what are your thoughts on the power being made?

Crap, Im at work and they block youtube...anyways, its the video of the blue wagon S4 making roughly 428bhp with an exhaust and tune on the dyno...

And here is MTM claiming 430bhp without any aftermarket exhaust or intake
http://www.4wheelsnews.com/mtm-gives...o-the-audi-s4/
My thoughts? MTM claims the stock is 333HP crank(which is just not accurate) and that their tune is 430 at the crank. They have no crank dyno, so there is no valid way to make this claim. If the car is really making closer to the estimated 360HP, now the MTM tune is only adding about 60HP at the crank, to me, the cost is not worth the gains.

Take a stock S4, put it on a roller 4 wheel dyno. Now hook your MTM to the SAME car, and put that on the SAME dyno. This eliminates every other possible change than your chip. Show us this before and after. It's that easy, since the piggy back is around a 30 minute disconnect. No one has done it. Not MTM, not any US MTM reseller, and not any US MTM customer. We have had 2 who bought it and said they were going to, and they just disappeared. Why?

Some have said they don't think it's wise (or want) to spend the ~100-150 to get a dyno [i]but they are willing to pay over 2K for the chip. They say they feel that it's faster, and that is all they need to prove it to themselves, they are all very happy, and don't think they need to prove anything to anyone else. I'm fine with this stance, but it also makes me highly suspect.

Taking into account what has been said regarding the limitations of a piggy back compared to a reflash, and I'm content to wait for now.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
Crap, how much cash do I have to save for the 1650?
I just know that Eaton makes this SC, I have not seen or heard any details about anyone working on this, but it just stands to reason. Same manufacturer, same smaller footprint, and it might even mate to the current stock SC setup and require only slight modifications. Getting a larger SC will absolutely require a reflash though.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts
Default The 2010 S4 static compression is 10.3:1

With a static compression is 10.3:1 and boost of 11 lbs/sqin, that is a lot of boost for a stock engine on 91 octane petrol. The direct injection & combustion chamber design allows for much higher effective compression ratio than many past OEM supercharged setups. I think it will take some careful tuning to make large improvements in the power. This setup is not as crude as many older supercharger setups.

It will be interesting to see what GIAC & APR can do with the little 3.0L engine.

As for the 4.6L Mustang with 500HP & 6lbs boost look at the Whipple web page;
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1208
"The standard Mustang SC kit boast the industries latest twin-screw supercharger...This SC system pumps out nearly 415HP with 6-psi of boost and is easily upgradeable to the HO intercooled system.
The HO package pumps out an astonishing 500+HP* and over 475+TRQ*, all on 91-octane pump gas and a 100% stock engine! You’ll make nearly 400RWTRQ at the hit of throttle with an instant 8lbs of boost."
Old 06-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by primetime
Anything else done to the car to make over 500 at the wheels with that little boost? Most 3v's with 7psi aint making 500 at the wheels....
full exhaust, blower is custom ported, stage II cams, techco cai, aluminum d/s, and electric w/p

Old 06-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by m444
With a static compression is 10.3:1 and boost of 11 lbs/sqin, that is a lot of boost for a stock engine on 91 octane petrol. The direct injection & combustion chamber design allows for much higher effective compression ratio than many past OEM supercharged setups. I think it will take some careful tuning to make large improvements in the power. This setup is not as crude as many older supercharger setups.

It will be interesting to see what GIAC & APR can do with the little 3.0L engine.

As for the 4.6L Mustang with 500HP & 6lbs boost look at the Whipple web page;
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1208
"The standard Mustang SC kit boast the industries latest twin-screw supercharger...This SC system pumps out nearly 415HP with 6-psi of boost and is easily upgradeable to the HO intercooled system.
The HO package pumps out an astonishing 500+HP* and over 475+TRQ*, all on 91-octane pump gas and a 100% stock engine! You’ll make nearly 400RWTRQ at the hit of throttle with an instant 8lbs of boost."
Dude, no offense but I know my mustangs...I have been on mustang forums for 4 years now with over 15,000 posts combined between different forums. What I mean by this is that i have spent countless hours reading and researching about mustangs and I could care less what Whipple states their blower will do on a STOCK mustang. My mustang is far from stock, very far from stock actually. I can put up dyno sheets if you like? The most recent one I have is 488rwhp @ 6.9psi WITHOUT my aluminum driveshaft or my electric waterpump, both of which have been proven time and time again to add at least 5-7rwhp each...Bear in mind this is all done on 91 octane...with 93 octane, I would be north of 500rwhp without those latest mods
Old 06-24-2010, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Dude, no offense but I know my mustangs...I have been on mustang forums for 4 years now with over 15,000 posts combined between different forums. What I mean by this is that i have spent countless hours reading and researching about mustangs and I could care less what Whipple states their blower will do on a STOCK mustang. My mustang is far from stock, very far from stock actually. I can put up dyno sheets if you like? The most recent one I have is 488rwhp @ 6.9psi WITHOUT my aluminum driveshaft or my electric waterpump, both of which have been proven time and time again to add at least 5-7rwhp each...Bear in mind this is all done on 91 octane...with 93 octane, I would be north of 500rwhp without those latest mods
You do know this is an Audi forum right? Are you looking at getting an S4?

Quick Reply: Swapping the supercharger pulley