S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Switch from E92 335 to S4...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NHman
Regarding the E9x series, the biggest issue is with the RFT's. Switch to normal tires the the problem goes away.
But then you don't have a spare tire, right? Seems a bit risky on a road trip.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shinchan, is that close to your real name or you just love that japanese cartoon? I've been watching it recently and it's hilarious. But I digress. As for breakin the car in, I drive it like I stole it, after the engine warms up that is. I'll have to see how well it holds up in a few year but the logic behind the technique makes sense to me.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

10-15 Min warm up... hmm... I think that in 15 min, i am done with driving.. office to home is approx 15 min. :-P

I will try the varying the engine speed method. I have 2 exits to travel on highway, and right now, i drove my E92 on highway at 85+ for those 2 exit follow by fast off the ramp.... trying to hold on to my venti starbucks coffee on the ramp. (there is no traffic when you need to be in the office at 6:00AM)

So, i think i can do a sort of semi WOT once.... in the morning, and once in the afternoon.

LOL.. waiting for the car to warm up.. is 8 min driving through my local town within speed limit.

BTW.. starbucks cup sucks.. they leak....
Old 08-07-2012, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

The BMW road noise would be from the Run Flat tires. My S4 is also my first Audi after 5 BMW's and SO much better in many ways.

My car just hit 40k miles and it really feels like it is just hitting its stride. Nicely broken in, engine and trans smooth as silk. I have not enjoyed a car this much since I had an E46 3 series. That was the last great BMW model in my book.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I like the Motoman technique better. From day #1, after the engine has warmed up, 2-3 times a day (NO MORE)do WOT runs to the redline followed by engine braking. Doesn't have to be in first gear or drag race style. No back to back WOTS to redline. WOT below redline at will up to 1K miles when there no longer are any restrictions. Engine braking is the key to getting the piston rings to seat COMPLETELY.
I have heard, used on my previous cars, a slightly different method: do the same but at partially open throttle. Also, avoid prolonged driving at constant RPMs during break-in. Is there an advantage of WOT, or is it the engine braking that does it?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinchan
10-15 Min warm up... hmm... I think that in 15 min, i am done with driving.. office to home is approx 15 min. :-P

I will try the varying the engine speed method. I have 2 exits to travel on highway, and right now, i drove my E92 on highway at 85+ for those 2 exit follow by fast off the ramp.... trying to hold on to my venti starbucks coffee on the ramp. (there is no traffic when you need to be in the office at 6:00AM)

So, i think i can do a sort of semi WOT once.... in the morning, and once in the afternoon.

LOL.. waiting for the car to warm up.. is 8 min driving through my local town within speed limit.

BTW.. starbucks cup sucks.. they leak....
You'd be surprised how long it takes to fully warm-up the engine. I recommend enabling the lap time with a VAG-COM cable which gives the added benefit of an oil temperature reading. In my experience, it is a full 15-20 minutes, before the engine is completely warm (obviously ambient temp and driving type dependent).

I didn't do the Motoman technique with my S4, but I will with the Q5 3.0T that I have on order.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had a 2008 335, and the run-flats kill the ride. My S4 with 19's rides better than my 335 with 18's. And, yes you do not have a spare with run-flats. On a trip back from NYC, I had a nail in my front time. The tire would hold pressure for only 30 minutes, I had to stop and put air every chance I got. Since it was a holiday weekend, all BMW dealerships were closed and I was **** out of luck...
Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wdFan
I have heard, used on my previous cars, a slightly different method: do the same but at partially open throttle. Also, avoid prolonged driving at constant RPMs during break-in. Is there an advantage of WOT, or is it the engine braking that does it?
Engine braking is most important. But, taking the engine WOT to the redline also helps.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not been very familiar with all the terms throwning arround.. Engine Break... I have DSG... does that mean i down shift to allow the engine to slow the car down?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinchan
Not been very familiar with all the terms throwning arround.. Engine Break... I have DSG... does that mean i down shift to allow the engine to slow the car down?
Can't shift down because when you take it to redline in a particular gear and shift down, you'd over rev. A good technique would be to use 2nd gear, take it to redline and just take your foot off the gas and let the car slow back down pretty much back to idle.

Quick Reply: Switch from E92 335 to S4...