S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Talking Points Memo: The Inevitable Thanksgiving BMW 335i/M3 vs Audi S4 debate

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought of something measurable that puts both the Jeep Wrangler 2-door and Dodge Challenger SRT8 (w/ manual) above all others: U-turns.

There is simply no car that makes better U-turns, with the tires keeping contact with the road, than the Jeep Wrangler. Period.

If you're allowed to break the back tires loose, then the Challenger is the best, here's why. It's about that visceral thing. If you're driving an M3, and you need to make a U-turn in an open area, and you stomp on it to bring her back around, well, you're an <insert expletive>. If you're in an SRT8 and you make a 3-point turn where it would be safe to stomp on it, well, you're just a <insert expletive>.

S4 owners aren't typically absent-minded like Wrangler, M3 and Challenger owners, so U-turns are less common.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One happy family. Mommy, Daddy, Love Child.
Attached Images    
Old 11-28-2009, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I think it's quite a bit of irony to trash someone's post point by point - countering most every point (which were almost all opinions and subjective by the way), then close by stating you would take this current lesser vehicle by your description.
I wasn't trashing his post, and sorry if it came across like that, but to bash the 335i is just stupid, as a drivers car it still has the edge. But then I think the NA 330i is better than the turbo charged 335i as well.

As I said, I don't care about times around a track, times to 60mph, times for 1/4 mile. Not any more anyway. To me it is how much fun the car gives me. Hence why the 330i is a better car than the 335i to me.

My E30 325i was a lot more fun than my E90 335i, but on paper it is a crap car in comparison.

I am also saying that as an everyday car I would take the S4 over the 335i as I also have a 1 series, but I wouldn't buy it as a 'sports car' cause it isn't one and I wouldn't buy it as my only car, I know I would be bored of it once the 'new car' novelty had worn off.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gIzzE
I wasn't trashing his post, and sorry if it came across like that, but to bash the 335i is just stupid, as a drivers car it still has the edge. But then I think the NA 330i is better than the turbo charged 335i as well.

As I said, I don't care about times around a track, times to 60mph, times for 1/4 mile. Not any more anyway. To me it is how much fun the car gives me. Hence why the 330i is a better car than the 335i to me.

My E30 325i was a lot more fun than my E90 335i, but on paper it is a crap car in comparison.

I am also saying that as an everyday car I would take the S4 over the 335i as I also have a 1 series, but I wouldn't buy it as a 'sports car' cause it isn't one and I wouldn't buy it as my only car, I know I would be bored of it once the 'new car' novelty had worn off.
Fair enough reply, but he was not trashing the 335i. Most were very much opinions, those which weren't (crash test safty ratings and Quattro versus xDrive) were fact. I think what pushed your couter-point over the edge was the "Now I realise(sic) this post is just a joke." It's 100% ok to disagree with someone's opinion, but when someone tries to invalidate a person's opinion - that's a bit far in my opinion.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I think what pushed your couter-point over the edge was the "Now I realise(sic) this post is just a joke." It's 100% ok to disagree with someone's opinion, but when someone tries to invalidate a person's opinion - that's a bit far in my opinion.
Sorry, I really didn't mean it like that at all, I genuinely thought that he was deadly serious until I read....

.........and call it the Ferrari "Plebian"
And then realised he was saying the whole thing with tongue firmly in cheek, being sort of serious, but not taking himself too seriously, if that makes sense??