S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Test Drive Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drive Impressions

Not that I'm a professional auto journalist or anyone cares what I think of the car but I wanted to post some observations and get some impressions from the community especially those who moved to the B8 S4 from other Audis.

Got to test drive both a 6MT and Stronic this weekend. The power and drive-ability of the engine is amazing. The DSG gearbox is really incredible. It is amazingly fast.

In the manual, I had a difficult making smooth shifts. I normally drive a manual but the clutch take up was just different enough for jerky shifts. Also the way it holds high revs is a little foreign at first. When effort is made to shift faster it smooths out. Did those of you with the 6MT have to adjust your technique to be smooth in the S4?

I relly like the feel of the shifter, I didn't notice a rubbery feel that has sometimes been reported. The throws are perhaps a bit long.

Handling wise I thought there was a big difference with ths sports diff. I felt that my B5 A4 handled as well or better. Is this possible? Maybe I was just going faster than I realized in the S. Could be tires too. Both cars I drove had 19" wheels.

On the interior, I expected more bolstering from the seats. I don't think they had more lateral support than those in my current car. I was hoping they would be more like the seats in the C63 AMG.

Audi has the best interiors but it looks like they've been cutting costs on some of the materials compared to earlier generations. The lenses on the dome & map lights look cheap, the rotary ***** for the volume control and climate controls felt cheap. Audi really emphasizes "haptic" so their swithc gear is usually top notch.

There's a big gap between the door trim and the b-pillar trim such that you can see the body color paint. Seems like a $50k car should do better.

My B5 A4 had a small first aid kit in the rear armrest, the new more expensive car none.

These are niggling little things that have nothing to do with the car's performance but I expect great fit finish and details from the German luxury sprots sedans. Again, I'm curious if those of you who've moved up to the S4 notice these things?

I'm still cnsidering buying an S4, re-convince me I won't regret it.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you on a couple of the points. I too found it difficult to make smooth shifts (at first). But by the end of the test drive it got better, and I assume that with time it'll become automatic.
And the gap between the door panel and frame is strange. Our B5 A4 has no such gap.

Tom
'98 A4 1.8TQMS
Old 04-18-2010, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It is very easy to shift the 6MT, assuming you know how to shift.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an A4, which is slightly less 'heavy clutch' and I still had to learn how to change gears smoothly. It's to the point that on Friday when I drove my fiancee's Civic that I was having problems almost stalling out and stuff... I had to relearn on a normal clutch, lol.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good reply. However, in fairness to Audi, many/most import cars have had to cut out items in order to deal with the losing dollar. There are also a lot more standard features today than there were five years ago. Tire pressure monitors, knee airbags (A5), media connectivity, etc.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When I test drove a 6MT S4 I was underwhelmed by the engine, but I'll chalk that up to three people in the car and smooth power delivery, that perhaps put on the speed deceptively (all the numbers say so).

As for the handling with the sport differential (with ADS) it was fantastic. My B6 with sport package is leagues behind the B8 S4. I'm surprised about your comments regarding the handling of your B5.

As for the whole clutch comparison. Most cars are different one to the other. This one was a little new again leaving the parking lot, but quick to learn.

OP - I second your comment on the C63 seats. My wife's GTi has nicer seats than the S4 (and M3 I'm considering). Still the S4 seats were a step up from my B6 A4 seats to be sure.

The things missing from 'modern' imports are starting to add up. It is a shame the USD has fallen so to the Euro. It is all the little things that start to add up, over the years I've noticed the loss of:

- Battery Cover (what's that about?)
- Under Seat Draws
- Arm Rest First Aid Kit
- Multi Hinged Trunk Lid
- flush fit door handles
-
- but also price...