S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Test drive impressions and my current dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test drive impressions and my current dilemma

Went to Reeves Audi in Tampa yesterday after work for a test drive, and wow, what a car! I test drove a Phantom Black Premium Plus with 6MT, sport diff, nav, B&O, black alcantara, Carbon Inlays, and 19" wheels, and I was extremely impressed.

It started raining right as I got there, and rather than ruin the test drive, it sold me even more. Quattro handled it almost like it was dry pavement, and if it were not for visibility, I would not have felt uncomfortable pushing the car fairly hard. Luckily the rain stopped about halfway into my 30-40 minute test drive and the SA directed me to a nice twisty road for a little bit of fun. The sport diff is definitely able to be felt. Coming from a fairly well-balanced but still rear-biased Bullitt Mustang, the lack of intrusive understeer when pushing the car a bit around some 30mph corners was pleasantly surprising. I was also pleased with the stock shifter. It has a very positive feel, though with a slightly longer throw than I might prefer. Nothing that can't be easily fixed. All in all very easy and pleasant to drive, and I was smiling most of the time.

I also really liked the Alcantara seats. After debating with myself last night I'll probably still go with leather, but it's a much closer call than it would have been before and you really can't go wrong with either. The only complaint I have is that the B&O system seems lacking on the low end, but that is nothing one of the 12" L5 Solo Barics and the 1400w rockford amp I have in my closet can't cure. In short, I'm completely sold.

Now to my dilemma: The dealer has an allocation that they just configured a day or two ago. They gave me the option to take the S4 allocation they have right now and change the order to what I want and possibly get it a little earlier than I was planning (late nov/early dec rather than late dec/early jan), or wait on their next allocation, which should come within 30 days or so but could be later.

One other relevant factor is I will be getting an Audi Exclusive color (Sepang Blue) and the dealer said that sometimes that can add another 30 days or so to the order time. Can anyone who has ordered Audi Exclusive colors verify this?

Either way, I'll be putting a deposit down this week for this allocation or the next (currently leaning toward the next). I'm looking forward to joining all of you as an owner!

Now to the order details:

Premium Plus 6MT
Sepang Blue
Titanium Sport Package
Black Silk Nappa
Navigation
Sport Differential
Navigation
B&O
Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pre grats, Sepang is a stellar color on the S4! Yes it can be as much as another 30 days for an exlcusive color, but not always, so don't bank on that - it really depends on if someone else is getting that color during the same general build timeframe and they can load your up with others getting the color. Is there any specific reason you want to get the car within a certain timeframe rather than ASAP?

There are already a few aftermarket things, like a short shifter, which owners of it have said improve the feel and crispness of shifting. There are other things out like exhauts, high flow cats, and intakes, with an ECU tune coming by the time you get your car. I agree on the lack of low end, I have an MTX monoblock amp and Alpine Type R 12" being installed to solve this on mine soon.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Pre grats, Sepang is a stellar color on the S4! Yes it can be as much as another 30 days for an exlcusive color, but not always, so don't bank on that - it really depends on if someone else is getting that color during the same general build timeframe and they can load your up with others getting the color. Is there any specific reason you want to get the car within a certain timeframe rather than ASAP?
Thanks! The reason I would like to wait is I paid off my current ride this month and would like a couple months of not having car payments. Not a necessity, but would be nice to build up a little higher cash reserve, and I could also possibly make a larger down payment.

There are already a few aftermarket things, like a short shifter, which owners of it have said improve the feel and crispness of shifting. There are other things out like exhauts, high flow cats, and intakes, with an ECU tune coming by the time you get your car. I agree on the lack of low end, I have an MTX monoblock amp and Alpine Type R 12" being installed to solve this on mine soon.
I've seen the short shifter options and will definitely be investigating. I may also go with a Stasis tune through my dealer when I pick up the car, but I'd like to see their charts first.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Exclusive added literally 3 days to my TT order. It's not a big deal and it won't be WEEKS added to an order. My buddies Exclusive S5 order took an extra day.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zerinS4
Exclusive added literally 3 days to my TT order. It's not a big deal and it won't be WEEKS added to an order. My buddies Exclusive S5 order took an extra day.
Sounds like you should wait till the next allocation then - this will let you build reserves for money down and enjoy some payment free time.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reeves Audi walked me over a $500 difference in the price that we couldn't agree on. I ended up getting my car at Classic Audi in Orlando for invoice the same week. Just FYI.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by legbend
Reeves Audi walked me over a $500 difference in the price that we couldn't agree on. I ended up getting my car at Classic Audi in Orlando for invoice the same week. Just FYI.
Supplier pricing will get me the same price no matter where I buy from, so that isn't a huge issue. My thought is that Reeves is closer to my job for when I need service and that way I'd have a loaner, etc. Seems odd that they walked you over $500 as my SA last night was very willing to allow me to be fairly aggressive on what I want for my trade in. Still, might check out Classic and see what they will do as far as trade in if I can't sell my current car on my own.