S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Is there any way to get Keyless entry/start without Prestige??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be the only one on the planet that can't stand keyless start.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nica
I guess I really do not want to spend the extra $3k for the 19" rims but also want the keyless entry and start.......Any recommendations?
The unfortunate answer is no (or not yet). Do you currently have a car with keyless? I've found that those who have to give it up, miss it; but those who've never had keyless...well, you get the idea. Either way, as others have mentioned, it's a great car and if $$$ is an issue in this regard, skipping it makes sense.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zerinTT
I must be the only one on the planet that can't stand keyless start.
Not a big fan of it here either.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi.com
Audi Advanced Key

With optional Audi advanced key, an electronic access and authorization system, the driver can keep the car key in his or her pocket when unlocking and starting the vehicle. The key is identified via proximity sensors in each car door and trunk lid which is matched to a radio pulse generator in the key housing as soon as the driver is within approximately 5 feet of the vehicle. The vehicle is automatically unlocked as soon as the door handle or trunk is actuated.

The Audi advanced key system also means that, before the start of a journey, the steering is released and the ignition turned on electronically and without inserting the key in the ignition. Provided the driver has the key on his or her person inside the car, the engine can be started by pressing the brake pedal and pushing the Engine Start button. The Audi advanced key can also be used like a conventional key to operate central locking and start the vehicle via the ignition lock. When leaving a vehicle equipped with Audi advanced key, simply press a small locking button on any door handle to lock the vehicle. By recognizing up to four drivers, Audi advanced key forms the basis of Audi's new personalization system, one-touch memory.

I love advanced key, but I'm curious how AK recognizes four different drivers. I guess it's two per key?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Smith837
The unfortunate answer is no (or not yet). Do you currently have a car with keyless? I've found that those who have to give it up, miss it; but those who've never had keyless...well, you get the idea. Either way, as others have mentioned, it's a great car and if $$$ is an issue in this regard, skipping it makes sense.
Thanks Smith. I was just looking for a clear answer. Yes I do have it and probably would miss it.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts
Default The main feature of the prestige is the keyless entry.

The prestige model is intrinsically tied to the keyless entry. If one could buy all the OEM pieces and figure out how to program the system to work, it would probably cost much more than the option price.

The reason I did not get the prestige, is because I did not want the keyless entry. I would have been nice to have the memory seats and and rear sun shade, though. The BMW cars allow a-la-carte options because the assembly line relies more on human labor. The Audi production line is much more automated for simple consistant assembly.

The idea of the key controlling the seat memory is not a good one for me, since the most use the memory seat gets in my mercedes is when my wife and I switch drivers coming home from a trip or event. We only use one key, but two settings. This works fine on the Mercedes, but the new prestige S4 is flawed and requires the the seating position tied to the key.

The keyless entry relies on an RF ID tag at a distance. It does not sound like a very secure system, it is too automatic.

Last edited by m444; 07-17-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For me, Prestige was the only way to go since I really wanted ADS. Keyless start is not a necessity, but in my B7, I really hated keys dangling over my knee and bouncing off the dash while driving. Dimming mirrors are nice too.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Smith. I was just looking for a clear answer. Yes I do have it and probably would miss it.
LOL Welcome to AudiWorld!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koobah
For me, Prestige was the only way to go since I really wanted ADS. Keyless start is not a necessity, but in my B7, I really hated keys dangling over my knee and bouncing off the dash while driving. Dimming mirrors are nice too.
Two Questions.......Do the sun shades come with the prestige package as referred in above post and can't you get ADS with Premium +?
Old 07-17-2010, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Two Questions.......Do the sun shades come with the prestige package as referred in above post and can't you get ADS with Premium +?
I believe for 2011 models, ADS and sun shades are available only with Prestige.

Quick Reply: Is there any way to get Keyless entry/start without Prestige??