S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Thinking about an S4

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about an S4

Hello, I am new to this forum. I currently own a 2009 335i, but am getting frustrated with recurrent engine-related problems and am seriously considering looking for something else and am looking at an S4 as an option. I would like to know if there have been any major issues with the B8 S4 in terms of reliability, as the main reason I am considering making a switch is that I am spending way too much time getting my car fixed.

Also, for those of you who compared the S4 to the 335, what drove your decision to pick the S4? Did any of you make the switch from BMW to Audi and, if so, why? Does the S4 do well with all-season tires or does it need separate summer and winter setups?

I think that's about all for now. Thanks in advance for the information.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey,

Have you driven the new 335i? I was dead set on an S4 then I drove the BMW. I think the 335 has a nicer interior than the S4 and has overall better electronics than are offered on the S4 and for less money. If you get one with the M suspension and sport transmission it is an incredible car. I have no idea which way I will go.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to watch this:

But I have a bone to pick with the comparison. they did not have an S4 with Leather seats but had one with the stock Alcantara. Does BMW still offer vinyl seats as standard? If so, shame on BMW. In fact many actually prefer the Alcantara to the leather and it comes not only in black , but 2 tone silver and black. IMHO, the leather in the S4 is far superior to the Dakota leather in the 335i which is thin and looks like vinyl. It also creases easily. BTW, auto Week rated the interior of the S4 better than the 3 series. S4 is superior to the 335i in most aspects other than exhaust sound and maintenance costs. Performance is better as well. Don't consider getting one without getting the sports dif. As far as A/s tires, you can order the car with 18" A/s tires. Living in Philly, you really don't need a summer winter set up to get around. I live 50 miles north and have had no issues with a/s tires. HOWEVER, the S4 really looks better with 19" wheels. I wore out the oem 19s and replaced mine with 19" A/s tires. You can do the same or run an summer winter set up. There also is a market for the 19" wheels and tires as well as the 18"ers. BTW, my last car was an 07 E92 BMW which I really liked. The s4 is so much better .

Last edited by DrGP; 09-30-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Willa,

I had two BMW's (X3's) and drove all the new BMW 3 series, 5 series, and X3's and there are so many reasons not to go with BMW it is ridiculous.

First: Run Flats All BMW's now use run flats and I can tell you from direct experience no matter how much they try to tell you other wise, they are rough if you have a bad back. They also, cost a fortune to replace, which you must for even a regular puncture. And, no one stocks them properly. So have a flat on a Saturday and your car is out of commission until at least Tuesday (this happened to my wife.....twice).

The transmission: BMW's shift like tanks. They claim that all drive by wires are like this and that the BMW will "learn" your style and adapt. BS!!!! I filed and settled a lawsuit over this and ended up asking for a MT to avoid the problem as BMWNA's VP told me they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen in a new replacement.

Up until recently the 335 had major issues with the high pressure fuel pump that would leave you on the side of the road at least twice a year. I had one person tell me that he had 4 replaced in one year.

Warranty: They will do anything to claim it is not covered under warranty or not within the time period to avoid paying out for it. Anything more than windshield wipers and you have to fight them tooth and nail to cover it. Brakes..yeah the light went on and they told me it still had a bit more time before replacement. Screwing around with brakes--really? Everything was a battle with them.

How they handle with A/S don't know yet. Just got it. The only difference is that BMW are a little better on gas, but I didnt buy this for mpg savings.

Any regrets? None so far. I drove all the new BMW and the S4 beats them in every category. Fit, finish, handling, acceleration, comfort, ergonomics....everything. I still read the BMW (bimmerfest) as I was active for over 5 years there and see that that all the new BMW's are basically having all the same problems they did before. They learned nothing from their mistakes other than putting in better coffee cup holders.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pilfer
Hey,

Have you driven the new 335i? I was dead set on an S4 then I drove the BMW. I think the 335 has a nicer interior than the S4 and has overall better electronics than are offered on the S4 and for less money. If you get one with the M suspension and sport transmission it is an incredible car. I have no idea which way I will go.

I was dead set on the new 335i before I drove S4. I actually drove them on multiple occasions and really wanted to like 335 but in comparison - I just can't, keep going back to Audi and don't even think about Bimmer after that.

Audi just feels special. BMW, nice, but I in my opinion interior is not that great, I mean it looks way better than e90, but not on par with S4. I agree with previous poster that electronics is nicer, such as screen, head-up display, and connected drive; but to me Audi is all about driving. Also audi probably comes a little cheaper after all (the way I prices them: S4 vs 335i xDrive M-Sport).
Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stactum
I was dead set on the new 335i before I drove S4. I actually drove them on multiple occasions and really wanted to like 335 but in comparison - I just can't, keep going back to Audi and don't even think about Bimmer after that.

Audi just feels special. BMW, nice, but I in my opinion interior is not that great, I mean it looks way better than e90, but not on par with S4. I agree with previous poster that electronics is nicer, such as screen, head-up display, and connected drive; but to me Audi is all about driving. Also audi probably comes a little cheaper after all (the way I prices them: S4 vs 335i xDrive M-Sport).
Same with me. I spend two months reading up and checking out multiple dealerships for the 335i and have even tried to order from two different dealership. Then I just so happen to drive pass my local Audi dealership and test drove the S4. Right after that drive, I knew the S4 was the car for me. I have pretty much the same feeling and experience as stactum.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Debated between the 2 and decided on a 2013 S4. No contest really.

What has always drew me to BMW was the connected steering feel it always had. Somehow, they've managed to screw that up too with the new 3 series. The S4's steering now actually feels much better. Who knew. Sure you can pay more money to get the old steering rack as an option with worse MPG. WTF!

Only thing the 335 has on the S4 is the better mpg and a bigger screen. Was considering possibly the 328 but ran away from it pretty quickly after the test drive.

Rear differential is a must with the S4. It'll run circles around the 3. Around the Street of Willows track, it's like 1.4 sec faster the old 335. One of the car mag did a comparo a few years ago. With a few suspension mods, the S4 can become a track monster.

Test drive both and I don't think you'll be picking the new 3.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2010 S4 and love it but Audi cheapened the interior compared to my 2007 -B7 S4. The 2013 interior is what should have been there all along. Prestige gets leather armrests with stitching, chrome trim on window switches and around the MMI. dashboard surround finally improved. The rest of the car- no contest- engine, handling- first Audi I've had that will easily hang the back end out
Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was reading these forums and had to register. There is a lot of biased opinions on these boards I don't see on BMW forums. I like both cars and there is no better car. It's a personal decision to which is the right car for you. I drove both cars multiple times and they are both kickass.

Interior wise the BMW has just as good fit and finish if not better. The idrive screen is hands down better then the Audi counterpart. The leather is softer in the Audi and feels great but there is a trade off. The Dakota leather in the BMW is thick and will not crease and crack. I have seen BMW seats 15 years old that look brand new. The button layout on the driverside in the Audi is hands down better.

Driving wise I am sorry you can't beat rear wheel drive. No tech in the world will be able to replace that feeling. I think both cars have impeccable road manner. I found the Audi way to well behaved and camry like. But I think both card shift way too smooth.

Performance I think both cars are dead even but it is much cheaper and easier to make a BMW fast. 1000s of BMWs everyday get Warrenty work that have piggybacks and other mods. Audi has officially come out and said they will look and find your tuned car. It may be smoke and mirrors but it's a huge risk.

To me it comes down to a win win choice. I am not a fanboy like others online. Both are amazing machines.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Buildbright
Audi has officially come out and said they will look and find your tuned car. It may be smoke and mirrors but it's a huge risk.

To me it comes down to a win win choice. I am not a fanboy like others online. Both are amazing machines.
I am going to respectfully disagree with this perception that BMW wont do the same thing.

Again, anything they can do to void or not honor their wonderful warranty they will do. If you even change the tires they will say that is the cause of some problem. Everytime I wanted something covered under their warranty I had to jump through hoops so to imply they are better at accepting mods is ludicrous. When I had ticking lifters they tried to tell me it was a result of the gas I used. I had every single receipt for every tank of gas I put in the vehicle. They were full of it. Initially, they stood right in front of me denying they could hear the ticking sound until I asked two other people at the service counter to stand next to my X3 and tell me if they noticed anything out of the ordinary. Oh sorry I thought you meant something else was the service manager's reply. This is a well known problem with the E83 series and the have to replace head gaskets and the lifters so I wasnt the first to complain.

I am not a fanboy of Audi (although it may seem so from my recent posts), but after battling with BMWNA on any warranty repair better than an oil change I cant disagree more with the above comment.

BMW's are nice cars/suvs granted. BMWNA's attitude is what really was the final nail in the coffin for me. I do agree with one poster when they mentioned the road feel and steering. Don't know how/why BMW managed to screw up their biggest asset, but they did. The Audi in dynamic mode is like being on rails when you turn. The only thing I really like more on the sport 3 series is the look which is very aggressive. Bottom line go out and drive both. Then let us know what you think.

Last edited by Evlengr; 09-30-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an S4