S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Thinking about an S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evlengr
Again, anything they can do to void or not honor their wonderful warranty they will do. If you even change the tires they will say that is the cause of some problem. Everytime I wanted something covered under their warranty I had to jump through hoops so to imply they are better at accepting mods is ludicrous. When I had ticking lifters they tried to tell me it was a result of the gas I used. I had every single receipt for every tank of gas I put in the vehicle. They were full of it. Initially, they stood right in front of me denying they could hear the ticking sound until I asked two other people at the service counter to stand next to my X3 and tell me if they noticed anything out of the ordinary. Oh sorry I thought you meant something else was the service manager's reply. This is a well known problem with the E83 series and the have to replace head gaskets and the lifters so I wasnt the first to complain.

It sounds like it was your dealer denying the claim vs. a policy from BMW. While I can't speak to your specific issue, I would agree with the statement from that Audi has changed their policy with mods and specifically with ECU tunes. That is with the automatic detection of changes (to the ECU) and subsequent TD1 flag. I don't believe there are enough reported cases to say whether warranty work will be denied but Audi has put the owner community on notice.

With the BMW FI engines, the modifications can be done via piggy-back system. This can be easily removed prior to service work being done. Therefore, for the moment, BMW's are mod friendly. Perhaps this will change in future models but for now it is a viable option.

FWIW, I had owned several BMW's each modded to some degree. My last one was a MY08 335i vert which had the Dinan stage 2 ECU tune and exhaust. I believe Dinan shares this information with BMW corporate as my dealer knew about the mods prior to the car being connected to the diagnostic tool. However the warranty work, for the (well known) HPFP and injectors, was performed without issues. Thankfully my car didn't fail but the work was done as part of the recall.

Most manufacturers are moving in a direction to make it difficult for after-market companies to modify the ECU. This is to protect them as well as their suppliers from systems that are operating outside of the design parameters.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by willa1975
Hello, I am new to this forum. I currently own a 2009 335i, but am getting frustrated with recurrent engine-related problems and am seriously considering looking for something else and am looking at an S4 as an option. I would like to know if there have been any major issues with the B8 S4 in terms of reliability, as the main reason I am considering making a switch is that I am spending way too much time getting my car fixed.

Also, for those of you who compared the S4 to the 335, what drove your decision to pick the S4? Did any of you make the switch from BMW to Audi and, if so, why? Does the S4 do well with all-season tires or does it need separate summer and winter setups?

I think that's about all for now. Thanks in advance for the information.
OP, the S4 is a great car and at this stage it is a mature vehicle. That is the past problem areas (thermostat, seal, etc) have been addressed and you would be getting the benefits of product fixes plus the mid-cycle refresh. The 3.0T engine has proven to be very reliable. It is used in other Audi vehicles except at a different level of tune.

Can it use all-season tires, yes. This is the case with most vehicles. However the benefit or limitation of all-seasons would depend on your location, driving habits and usage. IMO, all-season tires can be best described as "Jack of all trades, Master of none". A dedicated setup will give you the best handling and braking in those specific conditions (winter for ice/snow, summer for dry/wet).
Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I too came to my 2012 S4 from an 07 335i sedan. Absolutely no regrets at all.

I loved the n54 engine in my 335i but I have to say I love the Audi V6 even more.

Plus, the S4 with the DSG and sport/diff (which is a must) make the S4 just that much better.

I test drove the F30 335i and just could not fall in love with the N55 engine.

The 2013 S4 just improves on the Audi vs. BMW comparision.

Make sure when you get your S4 that the dealer throws in the $850 Audi service plan for free.

The S4 is a special car...you won't see many on the road.

But that just means your in an exclusive club!

Too many 3 series on the road.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buildbright
Driving wise I am sorry you can't beat rear wheel drive. No tech in the world will be able to replace that feeling.
Even on snow and ice?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by willa1975
Hello, I am new to this forum. I currently own a 2009 335i, but am getting frustrated with recurrent engine-related problems and am seriously considering looking for something else and am looking at an S4 as an option. I would like to know if there have been any major issues with the B8 S4 in terms of reliability, as the main reason I am considering making a switch is that I am spending way too much time getting my car fixed.

Also, for those of you who compared the S4 to the 335, what drove your decision to pick the S4? Did any of you make the switch from BMW to Audi and, if so, why? Does the S4 do well with all-season tires or does it need separate summer and winter setups?

I think that's about all for now. Thanks in advance for the information.
Just last week I went through this same decision. I ended up coming home with an S4. I went and drove a 2013 335i Msport. I really like that car a lot. I particularly like that it develops maximum torque at 1250rpm and holds that maximum torque up to redline. Yay VV Turbos and German engineering. It stickered at $68k and the salesman there told me not to worry, he could easily save me $1000 dollars off the sticker price... wow. I told him "Thanks. I'd like to go home and think about it."

I went and drove another older 2009 335i @ carmax. I was not as impressed with its performance (being a twin turbo instead of the single VV Turbo), even less impressed with the shot rear wheel bearing (with only 37k miles on the car). The salesman told me not to worry, it was just asphalt stuck on the tire because they had recently repaved the lot. I told him that I was 99% sure it was a wheel bearing. He called me 3 days later to confirm that it was indeed a wheel bearing and that they had replaced it.

After Carmax, I went over to the Audi Dealer just to check out what they had to offer. They had 3 S4s and the guy told me he could give sell any of the S4s for $1000 over invoice. They had a Blue Prestige and a Silver and Charcoal Premium Plus. I test drove the Blue Prestige and I much preferred the interior and exterior styling to that of the 2013 335i. I felt like performance wise, I really couldn't tell much of a difference. The Nappa Leather was what really sold me. It was so much higher quality than that of the BMW 2013 335i. So since this guy was willing to deal, I went home with the Charcoal S4 for about $48k.

The ONLY advantage I saw to the BMW was that the dealer offered to purchase/install the stage 2 Dinan stuff for me as part of the deal and was willing to assure me, in writing, on BMW letterhead, that it would not void any portion of my warranty.

Hope that helps you some.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I should clarify that the 335s I drove were both 335xi, not 335i
Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Evlengr
I am going to respectfully disagree with this perception that BMW wont do the same thing.

Again, anything they can do to void or not honor their wonderful warranty they will do. If you even change the tires they will say that is the cause of some problem. Everytime I wanted something covered under their warranty I had to jump through hoops so to imply they are better at accepting mods is ludicrous. When I had ticking lifters they tried to tell me it was a result of the gas I used. I had every single receipt for every tank of gas I put in the vehicle. They were full of it. Initially, they stood right in front of me denying they could hear the ticking sound until I asked two other people at the service counter to stand next to my X3 and tell me if they noticed anything out of the ordinary. Oh sorry I thought you meant something else was the service manager's reply. This is a well known problem with the E83 series and the have to replace head gaskets and the lifters so I wasnt the first to complain.

I am not a fanboy of Audi (although it may seem so from my recent posts), but after battling with BMWNA on any warranty repair better than an oil change I cant disagree more with the above comment.

BMW's are nice cars/suvs granted. BMWNA's attitude is what really was the final nail in the coffin for me. I do agree with one poster when they mentioned the road feel and steering. Don't know how/why BMW managed to screw up their biggest asset, but they did. The Audi in dynamic mode is like being on rails when you turn. The only thing I really like more on the sport 3 series is the look which is very aggressive. Bottom line go out and drive both. Then let us know what you think.
You can disagree all you want but that facts are there are far more modified BMWs then Audis. When you go with BMW you have Dinan, BMW performance for a factory backed performance option. Which Audi has Stasis which I hear all I hear about is financial problems and denied warranty claims. Third party is just as strong with Audi but with BMW you can put a JB4 piggyback for $450 and remove it without any trace. I know this because I have done it.

To your issue with warranty work sounds like you dealt with a crappy dealer. Which is very unfortunate but they are on both sides. But if we wanted good service we would have bought a Lexus lol.

Road and steering feel on the BMW is amazing as always. Any poster who says anything different is posting their opinion. Alot people say Audis steering is horrible but I disagree both cars are great. On ice and show Audi rules, sliding the back around a corner BMW has the feeling.

I choose the 335i and don’t regret it for a moment. The way the motor feels in the powerband is amazing and is a sick beast with a piggyback or tune.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Buildbright
You can disagree all you want but that facts are there are far more modified BMWs then Audis. When you go with BMW you have Dinan, BMW performance for a factory backed performance option. Which Audi has Stasis which I hear all I hear about is financial problems and denied warranty claims. Third party is just as strong with Audi but with BMW you can put a JB4 piggyback for $450 and remove it without any trace. I know this because I have done it.

To your issue with warranty work sounds like you dealt with a crappy dealer. Which is very unfortunate but they are on both sides. But if we wanted good service we would have bought a Lexus lol.

Road and steering feel on the BMW is amazing as always. Any poster who says anything different is posting their opinion. Alot people say Audis steering is horrible but I disagree both cars are great. On ice and show Audi rules, sliding the back around a corner BMW has the feeling.

I choose the 335i and don’t regret it for a moment. The way the motor feels in the powerband is amazing and is a sick beast with a piggyback or tune.
Well so that's sort of the problem too. I bet there are 5 335i BMWs in my companies parking lot right now. I know I passed 2 on the way to work this morning. I like to have something unique.

If you say performance is your main consideration, there is a list of RWD cars 9 miles long cheaper and faster than a 335i. I mean why not spend 40k on a C6 Corvette that will destroy both the 335i and the S4 on the track.

Are you really ok with crappy dealership service? If so a Corvette is sounding like a better and better option for you IMO...
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There must be five Audis for every one BMW in my town, but we live in snow country so it makes sense.

I'd be pretty happy owning either a 335 or an S4 (as long as they're not plagued by mechanical problems). I was *this close* to buying a 2013 X3xDrive35i but bailed out of the deal when the BMW forums were showing too many consistent complaints with the steering rack. It scared me off. One guy had his new car break down on the drive home from the dealership. WTF?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AngryBird
Well so that's sort of the problem too. I bet there are 5 335i BMWs in my companies parking lot right now. I know I passed 2 on the way to work this morning. I like to have something unique.

If you say performance is your main consideration, there is a list of RWD cars 9 miles long cheaper and faster than a 335i. I mean why not spend 40k on a C6 Corvette that will destroy both the 335i and the S4 on the track.

Are you really ok with crappy dealership service? If so a Corvette is sounding like a better and better option for you IMO...
I see very few F30 BMWs around. But if you want something different buy a Volvo S60R or Jag XF Supercharged.
Find me a brand new C6 Corvette for 40k..lol Sorry but Corvettes are not cheap. Have you driven a new Corvette with traction control off? The average person will wreck a Corvette around the track. They are scary and unpredictable. Faster in a straight line yes, around the track depends on the driver. Corvettes are not for me. I like cars that are best of both worlds. The 335i and S4 are as fast as a Camaro SS in acceleration, handle like a track car, ride like a smooth luxury car, and do not cost a fortune. Not to mention I can pick them up in Europe and get a free vacation.
But I am about balance and BMW makes the best RWD luxury sedans. Audi makes the best AWD luxury sedans. Mercedes makes the fastest luxury sedans. (Not counting supercars)
I am not ok with crappy dealership service but my BMW dealership treats me like royalty. But some are not as lucky as me.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an S4