S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Thinking of the new 2011

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2011 S5 coupe is a V8 with either a manual transmission or a six-speed Tiptronic.
The 2011 S5 cabriolet has the same engine as the S4 and is only available with the seven-speed S-Tronic.

I should know, being an evil S5 coupe owner (much less, a lowly Portlander) posting in the S4 forum. I would be an S4 Avant owner if AoA had released it over here; that is, if it had a manual.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep sorry meant cabrio when I said coupe
Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just got back from my test drive. I am in love. I mean, I'm coming off a Corolla, but the smooth ride, the pickup, handling and the interior, it's all amazing. Unless the BMW or Infiniti can give me the same interior and drive, I'm going to get an S4. The problem is finding a dealer with the color I want with the right packages. I don't know if I can hold out if I have to place an order.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Be careful with BMW I noticed that if you drive one of their RWD 335iS you really would rather have that for the handling. If you are thinking of the X drive then Audi hands down stomps on that. The interior of the Audi is much better but build quality in latest BMWs has gone up especially with M packages... I had a hard decision but in the end with snow and everything I was happy to have the quattro, interior, supercharger, and room in the car.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Iono
I don't know if I can hold out if I have to place an order.

If you can keep the Corolla on the road for another 4-5 months, it's well worth the wait to get exactly what you want, without compromise.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from my test drive. I am in love. I mean, I'm coming off a Corolla, but the smooth ride, the pickup, handling and the interior, it's all amazing. Unless the BMW or Infiniti can give me the same interior and drive, I'm going to get an S4. The problem is finding a dealer with the color I want with the right packages. I don't know if I can hold out if I have to place an order.
Ask your dealer about doing a dealer swap or finding an inbound dealer order that is close to your spec.

If that can't be done, place the order and get exactly what you want. It's worth the killer wait, and this coming from someone expecting their almost 4 month wait to end any day now.

Last edited by helix139; 12-30-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now. Today I'm going in to test drive a new Audi S4. I'm determined to find one with MMI and sport rear differential. I'm going to get a manual, though everyone in my family is calling me a nutjob and an idiot, because manuals are dangerous and more expensive to deal with. I'm also going to be checking out the BMW 335i xDrive and the Infiniti G37x as well, later today as well. I've driven my friends B5 S4 and I fell in love with it.

I was wondering if any of guys can recommend Audi dealers in the NY/NJ tri-state area to work with. I'm going to Princeton Audi for the test drive since they are the closet dealer that has an MMI and sport rear diff in stock.
town audi in englewood is great. Ask for Arun. Tell him Simon sent you. They'll bend over backwards for you. He even picked me up to get the car. Ask to them throw in free nitrogen too.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I owned an automatic 2009 G37x for almost a year before I upgraded to my 2010 6MT S4. I got to the point where I absolutely despised that G37, felt like I was driving my grandpa's car. I wanted to get back to a 6MT, drove the S4, and that was all it took. I love driving this car. I keep it in dynamic mode and race through the gears and can't express enough how much joy driving it gives me. One of these days I'll get the APR chip upgrade and I bet I'll fall in love all over again. What an amazing vehicle!
Anyway, I'll be very surprised if you like the G37 after test driving the S4. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks now. Today I'm going in to test drive a new Audi S4. I'm determined to find one with MMI and sport rear differential. I'm going to get a manual, though everyone in my family is calling me a nutjob and an idiot, because manuals are dangerous and more expensive to deal with. I'm also going to be checking out the BMW 335i xDrive and the Infiniti G37x as well, later today as well. I've driven my friends B5 S4 and I fell in love with it.
OH MAN! You and me need to swap numbers, and start a mini group therapy session. My family (parents) is the EXACT same way! Although they've never really had any bad experiences with a manual, they think manuals are DANGEROUS (oohhh, scary) and inconvenient (below them) [i.e. Why choose it over an advanced self-shifting gearbox?]. Also, it doesn't help that my last car (FIRST manual in the family) got totaled.

335i [Sedan] (Steptronic): I test drove MY2010 this past March, and liked it (except the SUCKtronic, of course). The power was plentiful, and the handling was direct. Overall, you felt connected with the car and the road. I'd say you can't go wrong with this car until you start blowing HPFP's like there's no tomorrow...HAHAHA!

G37 Sport [Sedan] (Manual): I WOULD like this car...if I was in my late-30's. As it is now, the car is way too soft and plush to my liking. I like to think of it as the Lexified version of Audi/BMW. Although, it did have power and rigidity, overall, it was just way too toned down. Oh, and get this, the salesman egged me on so it's not like I didn't have "fun" while on the test drive. Also, because of the characteristic and personality of the car, it felt slower than my APR-chipped MK6 GTI. If this was a 4-door version of the 370z, I would have picked this, no contest. I really liked the 370z when I test drove it. Oh well...guess that's why I have a deposit on the S4 now

If you want manual AND AWD, kiss the G37 good-bye, and good luck finding one on the 335i xDrive. Well, xDrive's with a manual here on the West Coast are rare-to-none, and most likely need to be custom ordered. I don't know how it is on the East Coast, so I might be wrong.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I'm going to place an order for my S4. I'm planning on getting a Sprint Blue (or Quartz Grey, not 100% set yet), MMI Nav and B&O. I'm not sure if I am going to get the rear sport diff. I'm going to be headed to a couple of dealers and see who can hook me up with the best price. The one dealer I went to for the test drive said he only sells at MSRP. (Princeton Audi) Thanks for the heads up Psymon, I'm going to head to town Audi on Monday and see if they can do any better.

Quick Reply: Thinking of the new 2011