S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Thinking of taking the S4 plunge

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of taking the S4 plunge

I am considering ordering this setup on a 2013 S4: Premium Plus in Ice Silver Metallic, black on black interior, 7-speed auto, sport diff, 19" wheels w/ summer tires, and Supercharged badges (that "T" bothers me).

For someone who is not into tech toys I have no desire to add the NAV package; I simply will not use those functions. My main concern is comfort and performance. But is there any option that, in your opinion, is a must that I am neglecting to add to the car.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by isles1
I am considering ordering this setup on a 2013 S4: Premium Plus in Ice Silver Metallic, black on black interior, 7-speed auto, sport diff, 19" wheels w/ summer tires, and Supercharged badges (that "T" bothers me).

For someone who is not into tech toys I have no desire to add the NAV package; I simply will not use those functions. My main concern is comfort and performance. But is there any option that, in your opinion, is a must that I am neglecting to add to the car.
Something to consider, the Nav system also includes the back-up camera and parking sensors. The controls for the audio are placed around the shifter vs. above the climate control. For some this is essential. Also consider the B&O sound system Advanced Key. Both do not help with performance but certainly impact the comfort.

Granted, some of the options are critical for some and useless to others. Do yourself a favor and test drive a car (A4,S4, A5, S5, etc) and come to your own conclusion.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Granted, some of the options are critical for some and useless to others. Do yourself a favor and test drive a car (A4,S4, A5, S5, etc) and come to your own conclusion.
Good color choice!

x2 on the above

plunge away...
Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I have driven an S4 with the NAV, backup camera, advanced key, etc. And I drove an A4 without the NAV, etc, so I could see the difference between the placement of controls, and not having the push button start. None of those differences bothered me.

I chalk of those things up to: It might be nice to have them, but I can definitely live without them, especially when the NAV adds $3K to the cost.

The exterior color choice has been the hardest. I considered Moonlight Blue, then settled on Monsoon Gray...until I saw the Grey next to the Ice Silver. I also thought about the silver alacantra inserts for for the interior, which really pops, but the light color might be a bad choice with a child in the family.

Decisions, decisions. More thoughts are welcomed.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NHman
Something to consider, the Nav system also includes the back-up camera and parking sensors. The controls for the audio are placed around the shifter vs. above the climate control. For some this is essential. Also consider the B&O sound system Advanced Key. Both do not help with performance but certainly impact the comfort.

x3, particularly B&O, which I think can be ordered stand-alone. I think the backup camera and sensors are great / almost indispensable (especially if anyone else will ever park the car). If I didn't rely so heavily on the Sirius traffic, I could easily live without the nav.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
x3, particularly B&O, which I think can be ordered stand-alone. I think the backup camera and sensors are great / almost indispensable (especially if anyone else will ever park the car). If I didn't rely so heavily on the Sirius traffic, I could easily live without the nav.
IMHO, B&O option is a bit steep at $850. But I did not compare the standard sound package with the B&O.

When I backed in the S4 after my test drive, I started to use the camera, but reverted back to the side view mirrors. My biggest concern with anyone (including me) would be scraping the rims against a curb...would the camera / parking sensors help to prevent that?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have my Ibis White ordered, my wife was strongly recommending Ice Silver which I really like but didn't feel paying extra for the color.
I am just like you - never saw value in 3K Nav, and knew that I won't probably be using it, however after much thinking I decided to include it for a few reasons:

- Screen between gauges is color vs b/w
- Rear view camera, I have it in my current car and feel it's important safety feature
- with 13 models Sirius XM traffic is included free for 4 years, it's important for my driving
- from what I heard - with Nav+ computer speed is faster than without it; also center screen resolution is higher
Everything else doesn't really matter to me, things like nav itself, 3G, etc.

I did get advanced key for a few reasons - I've had it before and have it on wife's X3. It's really nice when vehicle recognizes key and adjusts everything (seats, mirrors, presets, etc) to a key owner. Also no need to take it out of the pocket. It doesn't seem like a big deal unless you have it; after that you can't live without it.

I did get lunar silver alcantara inserts and I do have 2 kids (5 and 2), I also got rear seat cover for them, but I feel silver alcantara adds very special premium feel to a car; also stitching will be contrast on the steering and seats - which looks very good.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stactum

- Screen between gauges is color vs b/w
Originally Posted by stactum
I did get lunar silver alcantara inserts and I do have 2 kids (5 and 2), I also got rear seat cover for them, but I feel silver alcantara adds very special premium feel to a car; also stitching will be contrast on the steering and seats - which looks very good.
If you get the opportunity, it would be great if you could post some pictures of the screen and contrast stitching on the steering wheel. I'd did not pick up on these subtle details during the test drive.

Also, what seat covers did you purchase for your rear seats?

Thank you for your other comments and feedback on the NAV and advanced key. I might need to give these some thought and run the numbers again with and without these options. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by isles1
If you get the opportunity, it would be great if you could post some pictures of the screen and contrast stitching on the steering wheel. I'd did not pick up on these subtle details during the test drive.

Also, what seat covers did you purchase for your rear seats?

Thank you for your other comments and feedback on the NAV and advanced key. I might need to give these some thought and run the numbers again with and without these options. Thanks!
My wife's Q5 doesnt have B&O, Nav or advanced key and I would say the one option I miss the most is the back up camera when I drive her car. I use all the options in my car but certainly could live without them if need be.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=isles1;24356221]IMHO, B&O option is a bit steep at $850. But I did not compare the standard sound package with the B&O.

B&O is a STEAL at $850 for the S4!!! Try the A7, A8 etc... $5,800 option!!!!

Quick Reply: Thinking of taking the S4 plunge