S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Third tank of gas and MPG is awful

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrem1969
i was told by my dealer that the stasis ecu flash is not done at the dealer but that the dealer pulls the ecu and sends to stasis for the flash then they send it back to dealership for reinstall or u can go straight to stasis and have it done while you wait. and as long as your dealer is an audi/stasis approved dealer then all is ok with audi.
ahh, interesting. their site of course doesn't mention that little detail :-)
Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Just took a nice 30 mile highway drive and I averaged 24.7 both ways. The key was not putting the car in "Dynamic" mode. Leaving it in Auto really helped apparently.

Im much happier with this now.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Just took a nice 30 mile highway drive and I averaged 24.7 both ways. The key was not putting the car in "Dynamic" mode. Leaving it in Auto really helped apparently.

Im much happier with this now.
I thought you would be
Old 05-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rktskicar
The number of B5 S4 chipped or better cars is much higher than 1% I would estimate 5-8%. 1% would only be 134 B5 S4's chipped out of 13437 sold in NA and there are many more than 134 I have seen on forums that have been modifed over the years. Many people return them to stock before they sell them, as they can make more money parting them out back to stock rather than selling them modded. I sold mine with all the mods to a local PNW forum member, as I knew he appreciated it for what it was knew the effort I had gone through to build it up.

I still belong to a number of B5 S4 forums and they are still lots of modded cars out there IMO. Certainly on the forums, there is 85%-90% modded cars, There are also some GT turbo ones as well that are extremely fast. There is alot more allure in modding a 2.7T engine as you can get in supercar (450+ HP) area pretty easily, rather that trying to do the same thing with a 1.8T or 2.0T engine.

Bruce
yeah, I think you missed the main point of my entire post (in bold).

Originally Posted by sakimano
Hi Bruce. I usually agree with your straight to the point posts, but I have to ask...do you honestly think Audi gives ANY thought to aftermarket tuning of their cars when designing them? I seriously don't. I imagine only about 1% of these cars will be chiptuned while in warranty.
note 2 things

1. I said 99% of Audis won't be modded while in warranty. B5 S4s, are 8-12 years old. Totally irrelevant as the warranty ship sailed 2 World Cups ago .

2. You're thinking from a forum-centric point of view. Forums make up a sliver of the car owners out there. Think about all the guys who say 'RS4 wheels are played out'. Really? Maybe in the forum world or at car meets, but in the real world you rarely see cars with RS4 wheels. Why? Because in the real world an Audi's first owners don't change a thing. Very rare.

I've done polls on these forums before, and usually get (on B6/7 S4 for example) about 150-250 answers. If there are really 500-1000 forum members for a particular S model, that's not a lot of guys when we're talking about 10s of thousands of cars on the road. Using forum stats just won't cut it (especially when forums average age tends to be in the early to mid 20s...and they are the 2nd or 3rd owners of the cars.

Look at your own car...we're on an Audi forum...there are a few hundred B8 S4 owners on here or AZ...the cars are up to 18 months old and I think FIVE of you guys are chipped! You're also forum guys, so are far more likely to be chipped than the regular joe who is 45 years old, drops $60,000 for his Audi and drives it 50,000 miles in 4 years while never modifying a single part.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sakimano
Look at your own car...we're on an Audi forum...there are a few hundred B8 S4 owners on here or AZ...the cars are up to 18 months old and I think FIVE of you guys are chipped! You're also forum guys, so are far more likely to be chipped than the regular joe who is 45 years old, drops $60,000 for his Audi and drives it 50,000 miles in 4 years while never modifying a single part.
You miss the point that the car has only been here in North America for 10 months. The vast majority of posters here you are polling are from North America, not places where the car has been out 18 months. I understand and agree with where you are coming from in regards to the enthusiasts being people who will mod their cars and frequent the forums, but also consider that an enthusiast is typically an early adopter, as well as someone more likely to buy an S4 over an A4. These play into the equation as well, as you will almost certainly have a much higher number of forum jockeys and therefore people who will mod a car like the S4, the first model year it's availible in a specific locale.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
You miss the point that the car has only been here in North America for 10 months. The vast majority of posters here you are polling are from North America, not places where the car has been out 18 months. I understand and agree with where you are coming from in regards to the enthusiasts being people who will mod their cars and frequent the forums, but also consider that an enthusiast is typically an early adopter, as well as someone more likely to buy an S4 over an A4. These play into the equation as well, as you will almost certainly have a much higher number of forum jockeys and therefore people who will mod a car like the S4, the first model year it's availible in a specific locale.
huh?

I said hardly anyone will mod these cars while in warranty, so Audi certainly does NOT design/buid cars while asking 'what will the tuners do'. You guys are almost 2 years into the S4 being out there and hardly any are tuned. Americans are almost 1 year into the release, and almost none are tuned. By the end of the warranty, hardly any will be tuned. It's the younger guys who buy these things 2nd or 3rd hand when the warranty is long expired that will be doing the serious modifications to the car. It's always this way.

Bruce said the b5 BWK03 failures caused by modding were the death knell for turbocharged Audis. That makes no sense as hardly anyone chiptuned their B5 while they had a warranty (think big picture, not the few hundred forum regulars) and further Audi used another 7 million K03 turbos over the following decade on A3/A4/A6/A8 cars. Currently there are 1 million Audis sold per year. About 900,000 of those are turbocharged.

Audi ditched the turbo in the B6/7 model because the economic environment made forced induction unnecessary...cheap gas saw the automotive world gravitate to higher displacement, naturally aspirated engines to make the power as its the best solution for clean, reliable power and delivers a far greater 'feel' to owners (sound, instatorque etc.). This happened with almost every AMG car, and stayed the case with the M cars (which are usually NA anyway). Why? because NA was 'in'. FI was 'out'. Then the enviro nannies started flipping out...oil pushed towards $100/barrel and while developing the next generation (B8 S4...the E?? M3...the new M5...etc.) everyone moved towards forced induction to meet CAFE standards and to address people's sensitivity to MPG readouts.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wasn't the original question about gas mileage?

I was pretty disappointed on my first few tanks of gas, only around 14 mpg mixed driving. ~2500 miles in, it's closer to 19-20 mpg. I am convinced that my experience has been similar to others posted here, that there is a significant improvment that comes with more driving.