S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Thoughts on STiR display location?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on STiR display location?

I have an install scheduled for later this month for a Bel STiR+ & LI package. I am trying to decide where to mount the STiR+ display.

The photoshopped picture below shows the two locations I am considering. Does anyone who owns an STiR+ (or 9500ci) have any comments on where they put the display and why? I also considered in the <strike>glove box</strike> ashtray, but that will take my eyes off the road for too long. The only downside I see to the position next to the NAV is that it is frequently blocked by my right hand on the wheel.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Pyro451; 11-27-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I just had the STI-r+ I put the display under the little lip underneath the odometer. It mounted perfectly and was very discreet. Now that I also have a V1 concealed display I stacked both of them in the same location but with the STI display just above the lip/below the odometer. This location gives it the perfect line of sight I think. The problem with the high center mount you depict is is might be tough to see depending on how you tilt your steering wheel. I have my wheel set pretty low, I can't even see the high beam indicators.

The MMI location looks even more discreet but like you say may be a little out of the line of sight. Also, I assume you meant to type 'ashtray' instead of 'glove box', right? The glove box would be a pretty bad location!

A final option is at the base of the windshield/dash intersection. Almost like a poor man's heads up display.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the comments.

I actually have my wheel tilted fairly high, so I can't see the location between the steering column and the odometer, but I have a clear view of the location where I pasted in the display.

I never considered mounting at the bottom of the windshield, but I hoped to minimize the "bolted-on" look. That is one of the main reasons I opted for custom install versus windshield mount.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had mine mounted in the rearview mirror and the controls in the former ash tray location.. Real stealth and when it's off you can't see it thru the mirror
Old 11-27-2011, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pyro451
Thanks for the comments.

I actually have my wheel tilted fairly high, so I can't see the location between the steering column and the odometer, but I have a clear view of the location where I pasted in the display.

I never considered mounting at the bottom of the windshield, but I hoped to minimize the "bolted-on" look. That is one of the main reasons I opted for custom install versus windshield mount.
Sounds like the center option might be ideal for you considering how your steering wheel is placed. Don't discount the windshield/dash intersection mount either. If you run the cable along the gap and mount the display near the speaker it's impossible to see. Especially if you live in a state with inspection stickers! Very stealth, and great for line of sight viewing.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Alex'S4
I had mine mounted in the rearview mirror and the controls in the former ash tray location.. Real stealth and when it's off you can't see it thru the mirror
I looked into this option and it seemed crazy expensive. Radar-Mirror wants $500, plus my mirror and my display to mount the display in the mirror.

Did you find a more reasonable option for a mirror mounted display?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 PM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

I looked into this option and it seemed crazy expensive. Radar-Mirror wants $500, plus my mirror and my display to mount the display in the mirror.

Sure, DIY. See my thread on Audizine, you should be able to do it easily, forget all of the soldering crap I did.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the guys who did my install etch out the glass from the backside of the mirror.. cost an extra $300 but so worth it