S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Three After market Improvements -What Would You Choose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helix I really like the Ti wheels, but wont spend extra money on the prestige to get them.

I figure someone will want to sell them separately if I really want them. Really nice design, and look easier to maintain then the other wheels.

So far I am sold on the Alu Kruez as first mod. I will wait on tuning since I want to get a feel for its limitations as well as get some "break in" time before I do an engine mod. Short throw will be in there to as they are usually inexpensive and not hard to install imo. I dropped a tranny into a 71 GTO at 17 so that should be a piece of cake.

For me the more understated externally with subtle hints the better. I am not out to impress anyone but me.

One thing that is out of the norm.....I am a sound freak. Believe it or not one of the reasons I wrote BMW's off the list is their dam penchant for putting 4 inch 100mm speakers in their doors. As an engineer for Sirius/XM and in the music industry for over 30 years I have the sound system redesigned as fast as I can retro-engineer the stock one.

I need to hear the third violin in the second row or Flea ripping down a bass line and hear his fingers pull away from the fret. I have over 40,000 cd's now and pretty varied taste in music. Once, I get the car I will give step by steps down to the color coding of wires and as easy or technical as folks want to get when looking for info.

Well any way keep the suggestions coming please. They are all great. More than likely it wont be what I don't get them just when. Cheers,

EE

Last edited by Evlengr; 12-25-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey EE, let me know what audio mods you wind up doing. I am an (ex)audiophile myself and love good music and happiest when it sounds good, too! The best in-car stereo I have heard was my Lexus that had the Mark Levinson upgrade. The B&O system leaves me wanting for a bit more...
Old 12-25-2011, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by socfan12
Hey EE, let me know what audio mods you wind up doing. I am an (ex)audiophile myself and love good music and happiest when it sounds good, too! The best in-car stereo I have heard was my Lexus that had the Mark Levinson upgrade. The B&O system leaves me wanting for a bit more...
Mark Levinson always made quality qear when I sold hi end stereo systems so it's easy to see that a car system with his name on it would be high caliber. B and O is okay, but seems to lack any character..kinda bland for me. And no I don't like the thumpty thump systems.

I plan to keep the stock H/U in the vehicle and work from there. The H/U will essentially become a pre-amp type unit. This will preserve the outward integrity of the vehicles interior as well as ease of integration with the steering controls. No cutting of any kind and will make a harness to integrate into the stock wiring.

More than likely I will start with a good audio in line processor such as Audio Control's DQXS 6 ( http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...trol-DQXS.html )

And Alpine PDX5 and MRF-350 Amps and finally Boston Acoustics Reference Component Series. I have a 10" dual voice coil, low profile sub now. Going to make a custom basket to tighten the bass, instead of leaving the bottom open to the trunk. It should be about .75 cu ft.

The amps and speakers I have currently and use the Alpine idax310 H/U, but with processors like the Audio Control unit I listed I see no point in tearing out the stock H/U that is so intertwined into the electronics of the dash.

ps.

Wife has already started feeding my habits as she bought me the top line Beltronics Sti Radar Detector for my Xmas gift and a Porter Cable buffer. And to make things better, she is smart, a knock out and insists on driving stick. Doesn't get any better
Old 12-26-2011, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
I've had an S4 for a week and had the Alu-Kreuz and JHM short-throw installed this morning. The Alu-Kreuz is a definate plus and worth the money, but the short-throw is crazy good.

I've been driving MTs (legally) for over 35 years and am a bit of stick-shift snob, and I think that the JHM is almost as good as the factory short-throw in my 911. And that car costs twice as much!! I liked the S4 a lot before today. I LOVE it now.
I was worried about the JHM but after reading this I can't wait to get it installed! Both are coming this week! I too have driven the factory short throw on the porsche and if it is close then life will be good shortly. Thanks for the insight!