S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Throttle cut out saga

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle cut out saga

Looking for help from any Audi mechanics out there. I have had a month long saga with my car. A month ago, I was driving and the car went into limp mode and the warning lights went off like a Christmas tree. Had the car towed to the local mechanic I always use and trust and he said the ECM was bad and replaced it. It turns out he actually needed help from Audi to program the ECM and had it sent to the dealer. They put in the new ECM and it worked great except that at almost exactly 5000 rpm in any gear at WOT, the throttle violently cuts out momentarily. The car has an aftermarket exhaust and intake and HAD a stasis tune (now gone and Stasis out of business). Car went back to the dealer where it was worked on for two weeks and was returned to me as "unfixable". They said Audi really wouldn't cooperate in helping them fix the car because of the mods and they knew of nothing else to try! they had a temporary fix by changing some sticking flap in the intake which seemed to work for about a day. Car is still doing this exact thing, throwing no codes to vag com. Any ideas anyone? I am so unimpressed with Audi corporate for their stance on this, I'm not asking to be repaired under warranty. They said they can't help unless it is put back to stock ( not happening), which is a rant for another thread. I am extremely impressed with what the dealer did for no charge on this, but I am at the point where I will probably never buy another Audi and will tell me friends not to also because of this ridiculous response by them. So if I got my exhaust replaced at Midas for something they wouldn't help diagnose a different problem if it turned up? Some engineer at Audi suggested, I presume off the record, that I get an APR tune??? Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude. you need to return stasis flash to stock and start from there.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by urojohn
Looking for help from any Audi mechanics out there. I have had a month long saga with my car. A month ago, I was driving and the car went into limp mode and the warning lights went off like a Christmas tree. Had the car towed to the local mechanic I always use and trust and he said the ECM was bad and replaced it. It turns out he actually needed help from Audi to program the ECM and had it sent to the dealer. They put in the new ECM and it worked great except that at almost exactly 5000 rpm in any gear at WOT, the throttle violently cuts out momentarily. The car has an aftermarket exhaust and intake and HAD a stasis tune (now gone and Stasis out of business). Car went back to the dealer where it was worked on for two weeks and was returned to me as "unfixable". They said Audi really wouldn't cooperate in helping them fix the car because of the mods and they knew of nothing else to try! they had a temporary fix by changing some sticking flap in the intake which seemed to work for about a day. Car is still doing this exact thing, throwing no codes to vag com. Any ideas anyone? I am so unimpressed with Audi corporate for their stance on this, I'm not asking to be repaired under warranty. They said they can't help unless it is put back to stock ( not happening), which is a rant for another thread. I am extremely impressed with what the dealer did for no charge on this, but I am at the point where I will probably never buy another Audi and will tell me friends not to also because of this ridiculous response by them. So if I got my exhaust replaced at Midas for something they wouldn't help diagnose a different problem if it turned up? Some engineer at Audi suggested, I presume off the record, that I get an APR tune??? Any help is appreciated.
Remove the throttle body. Then remove the cover from the throttle position sensor and then remove the snowshoe wiper. Bend the contact fingers to better press against the black sensing surface. Wipe the black surface with a clean cloth. Reassemble and reinstall.