S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Tint question & clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
fyi, if you're putting fresh paint on the car, you need to give it a couple of weeks to let it cure before you can apply clear bra. I forget the cure time, but ask your clear bra guy.
I forgot about that. I'm in a dilemma now, because I don't want more rock chips, but I want to get the rock chip repaired properly before doing it. The chip is all the way down to the metal it looks like, so I need to get it repaired.

You can download a bigger picture here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Old 03-15-2011, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
This is why you should go straight to the clear bra place after you leave the dealership. I even went as far to cover the entire front on blue masking tape for the drive over to my clear bra installer. I have seen people put clear bra over chips and you can really see them under the film. There is no need to detail first a good installer will clay bar there area before they put on the film.
I had no time, I picked up the car 7:30 pm on a Monday night. I didn't have that chance.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is the body shop gonna respray the entire hood? If so, they can probably remove it and put it into their baking oven to let it cure faster..
Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not sure, I'm going to head there in about 30 minutes and see what they can do. I don't think touch up will do the trick.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

. I would NOT repaint the hood. There are some places that will do touch up. Will make it look 80to90% better. Sorry I would hate that. But please don't repaint the hood. No one can match the factory paint job as good.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
. I would NOT repaint the hood. There are some places that will do touch up. Will make it look 80to90% better. Sorry I would hate that. But please don't repaint the hood. No one can match the factory paint job as good.
+1 I have to agree, once you repaint it will never be the same as factory. Just do a touch up, it is only one chip should be 80-90% or so. Live with it rather than do the whole hood and be screwed.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some Dr Colorchip for that chip. It's not all that expensive and you'll save the rest of your paint. Just take your time, and apply multiple coats. If you absolutely still hate it, you can always get it repainted at that point.

Also, just an FYI to the original poster, if you want a full hood wrap, Avery doesn't make a 60" Nano Fusion Film. That said, you can still do the full bumper, headlights, and fenders and have a different film used for the hood.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I use a mobile dent and Chip repair place locally and they come to me and also do small chip work. They did a door ding and it was amazing and I did the cheaper of two paint/fix options because it was a lease car I returned it upon finishing the lease as it was a work car but I did not want the chip for the remainder of my time.

CHECK OUT RESOURCES BEFORE JUMPING IN TO QUICKLY AND NOT BEING HAPPY WITH THE RESULT.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

+1 for not getting the hood repainted. If I were a prospective used car buyer, I'd accept a few rock chips more than I would a complete panel spray. Just get a touch-up and put on the clear bra.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am definitely going to do a full hood. Atlanta is really hard on cars with all the interstate driving. My dealer gave me a good price, $895 for the full, but I am going to shop it a little as well.

Anybody not tint their rear window? I am curious how it looks. I really hate it when the optics out the back get messed up.

Chris

Quick Reply: Tint question & clear bra