S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Tint question & clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While on the topic, i am going to get ventureshield installed on monday. Planning to wash and detail the car on Sunday. I used Zaino. Now should i apply layers or just clay it and make sure it is clean and wax free? Please advice, thanks!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tofuking
While on the topic, i am going to get ventureshield installed on monday. Planning to wash and detail the car on Sunday. I used Zaino. Now should i apply layers or just clay it and make sure it is clean and wax free? Please advice, thanks!
Won't hurt to apply layers, but it would be a waste to apply it on the panels that will be completely covered by the film as it will be stripped off. If you're just getting a partial hood or something, though, I'd go ahead and do the hood. Definitely clay the whole thing though.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Since you are in Atlanta, there is a detail place that will do a new car prep AND they also install clear bra. Don't know firsthand but they seem to do some quality work. Detailed designs autospa in lawrenceville.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTSurgery
Since you are in Atlanta, there is a detail place that will do a new car prep AND they also install clear bra. Don't know firsthand but they seem to do some quality work. Detailed designs autospa in lawrenceville.
Thanks, I'll check them out!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi,

I am usually just an observer, but happen to work in the urethane film manufacturing industry and thought I would chime in for a little clarification:

Having the car detailed before film application:
- Film adhesive fills in swirl marks just like wax does, so don’t worry about buffing or waxing areas that will be covered by film

- It helps to remove imperfections that change the elevation in the surface and fill existing rock chips

- Film installers typically strip any wax on the surface to make sure the film adheres well

Paint Cure Time
- The cure time for paint is usually around 30 days. The easy way to judge is to put your nose close to the paint and wait until you can’t smell it out gassing chemicals.

- Use a reputable paint shop that properly preps and cures cars. If not, there is a chance you could lift the paint or clear if you ever remove the film.

Brand Comparison
- While some installers will spend a long time to educate you on the different options, many will not. It is not uncommon for a store to automatically tell you what they have on their shelves is the best product out there. There is a lot of misinformation circulating and it is usually best to contact the film manufacturers directly to learn about the products (and any installer recommendations).

- Film Brands: 3M, Avery, Clearshield, Defenzall, Durashield, Llumar, Ventureshield, XPEL (in alphabetical order to be fair). Some of these are newcomers to the market. Some of these companies offer different lines or grades of film to fit your greatest needs.

- Some differences to ask about between films:

o Presence of texture (orange peel)

o Available widths (can you cover my full hood)

o Flexibility/ease of installation (largely determines the visibility and acceptable level of defects)

o Adhesive

o Durability/Warranty

3M/VentureShield

3M purchased VentureTape for their industrial tape division. 3M ended up with VentureShield, a VentureTape subsidiary, as part of the deal. VentureShield has just recently started borrowing adhesive technology from 3M, rather than vice versa.

Aftercare
- Any film can be waxed. However paint waxes are meant for a completely different surface and may not provide much protection, as they are not purpose made. There is a reason we use a different product for our upholstery, tires, paint, etc., so why should Clearbra be any different. While it looks like paint, it definitely is not.

- Do not use paint waxes or products that contain petroleum products like kerosene. These products will dry out ANY brand of urethane film, making it much more likely to stain, yellow, or haze.

- Sealants are the best products to use in place of wax, as they seal off the pores from collecting contaminants (the source of yellowing or haziness)

- Plexus can cause yellowing as well if used repeatedly for long periods of time.

Film quality is really only one third of the battle. Ask whether installers will hand cut with a blade or use precut kits. Whatever their answer, look at examples of their work, as there are good and bad examples of each. A good installer and a quality precut pattern or custom cut can make almost any film look good. If you talk to an installer and their main selling point is price, you might want to look elsewhere.