S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

TPMS and Winter Tire/Rim set up

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS and Winter Tire/Rim set up

Hi All. As winter nears I have been looking into purchasing a winter tire/rim set up for my 2010 S4. The few local shops have been feeding me some conflicting information causing me to be generally confused.

1. They are claiming that very few rims out on the market with the correct bolt pattern and offset will work due to the Audi's 66.6 mm hub bore and caliper set up? Has anyone ordered rims which had to be machined out to fit or is this BS?

2. Some claim that the B8 platform is very sensitive to vibrations with regards to the TPMS and even the owners manual states that if you do not have the AO approved tires and wheel set up the TPMS could malfunction or be damaged. I know it has something to do with the ABS sensors however unclear as how sensitive the set up is?

Has anyone with non-OEM wheels or winter tire/rim set ups have come across any issues?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

KC
Old 09-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A quick search at tirerack.com shows the local shops are out of touch. However, most of the wheels on tirerack use centering rings, since the bore size is not machined to B8 dimensions. I opted to find wheels that were made for the B8. VMR and Hartmann make wheels for this with all the proper dimensions, and even use stock lug bolts.

I think Audi is just covering their a$$ses there, just incase the TPMS doesn't work with non stock wheels or tires, they have an out. I suspect there will be no issue. That said, my winter setup is the stock tire size for 18" wheels with VMR wheels.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KCsS4
Hi All. As winter nears I have been looking into purchasing a winter tire/rim set up for my 2010 S4. The few local shops have been feeding me some conflicting information causing me to be generally confused.

1. They are claiming that very few rims out on the market with the correct bolt pattern and offset will work due to the Audi's 66.6 mm hub bore and caliper set up? Has anyone ordered rims which had to be machined out to fit or is this BS?

2. Some claim that the B8 platform is very sensitive to vibrations with regards to the TPMS and even the owners manual states that if you do not have the AO approved tires and wheel set up the TPMS could malfunction or be damaged. I know it has something to do with the ABS sensors however unclear as how sensitive the set up is?

Has anyone with non-OEM wheels or winter tire/rim set ups have come across any issues?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

KC
I use 18" OZ Alleggerita with Michelin PA3 235/45/18. I just needed to recalibrate TPMS once, no issues all last winter
Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have been running non-OEM tires/wheels for 10.5 months now, no issues. Wheels came from tire rack.

Bruce