S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Track my S4 yesterday... (video & pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track my S4 yesterday... (video & pics inside)

Like the title says, I took my S4 to the track yesterday. The event was put on by eXtremeSpeed Track Event. Great groups of guys BTW, so for the SoCal guys who wants to track, go check them out. Anyway, we were on Streets of Willow (CCW). I took my 335i (bone stock with Dunlop Star Specs tires) to this same track, same direction a few months ago and clocked a 1:32.042. Granted yesterday was about 20-25°F cooler, so it might've helped a little. I missed the first 2 advanced sessions, so I jumped into the 2nd intermediate session. When I was in the pit waiting to get on track, there was a train of cars, and I thought I wasn't able to really push the car. Somehow I managed couple of laps with light traffic, so I pushed it a little. To my surprise, I did a 1:29.9xx. [o_o] I was like...WHAT??? In a bone stock S4 even on over a year old stock Dunlops??? Unfortunately, I didn't turn on my camcorder. So after lunch, I jumped into the advanced session, and really tried to get a good lap on tape. Well, I did. 1:27.923. To compare, my friend with a 350Z on coilovers and BFG r-comp tires did a 1:28.7xx; another friend with an Exige on Yokohama A048 did a 1:27.1xx; a brand new Cayman S did a 1:28.3xx. My god...this S4 really surprised the hack out of me when it comes to lap times. I'm very very impressed with what Audi has done to this S4. It's amazing!!!! Anyways, enough talk, here's are the video and pics. []

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XydERglV8m8

Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Awesome Video and Pics! Nice driving man!!!! I could have watched another 30 minutes of that!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice.... You drive very well.... How did the brakes hold up?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you have the sports diff?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

they dont require you to have numbers on you car???
Old 01-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sick, so 2nd & 3rd are most ideal gears on the track? Never hit the track, but I'm going to try this year. No way you can get into 5th anywhere on the track?

Were your windows open while you were recording? Why? Heat? Didn't wanna run AC? sorry for so many questions lol
Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

We're not allowed to run with open windows in the UK....although I'm not sure why.

I'm assumming the B8's are the same as my B6 S4 and before that my TT : the A/C compressor is automatically disengaged when you're on full throttle.

On that basis and also that any lap times will vary marginally and also won't get me picked by a racing team anyway, I always keep the A/C on....especially due to our windows up standard.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Whoa wait, so even if the AC is on... and when @ WOT, the A/C stops blowing cold air? That's crazy, never heard of that before.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 180Custom
Sick, so 2nd & 3rd are most ideal gears on the track? Never hit the track, but I'm going to try this year. No way you can get into 5th anywhere on the track?

Were your windows open while you were recording? Why? Heat? Didn't wanna run AC? sorry for so many questions lol
Gears are highly dependent on the track and the car. Some tracks will need 5th, and some tracks may not even need to go down to 2nd. It's all dependent. This track is relatively small.

Most organizations will require you to drive with the windows down. It's for safety reason. In the event one smashed the wall or flipped, the safety crew can pull you out of the window.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 180Custom
Whoa wait, so even if the AC is on... and when @ WOT, the A/C stops blowing cold air? That's crazy, never heard of that before.
Yep - Definately on my previous two Audi's. I've assumed it on this one but haven't tested it. Theory is that if you want max power then the car should give you all it can. Bear in mind that you'll still get cold air for 5-10 secs anyway.

Just found this in the manual :

"In order to achieve maximum engine power, the air conditioner compressor is temporarily switched off when pulling away from a standstill with full throttle.
The compressor also switches off if the coolant temperature is excessively high, to ensure adequate engine cooling under extreme loads."

Last edited by Scotty (UK); 01-09-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Track my S4 yesterday... (video & pics inside)