S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Two jukebox questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two jukebox questions

There is a lag when accessing music from my ipod through the AMI connection, does the jukebox access music faster, or is there still a lag?

In windows, my music files are not organized in folders by artist in windows explorer, they mostly have strange nonsensiscal file names. However, they are organized fine in itunes, and when you look at "get info" in itunes they have all the information stored (artist, album, song title...). Do I need to worry about the windows file names, or can I just drag the files over onto an SD card and import them into the jukebox? If I drag these files with crazy names over, will the jukebox then be able to organize them by artist, album, etc?

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can just create a folder on an SD card and drag and drop the songs you want directly into it from iTunes. Make new folders for different playlists. It works fine for me that way.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McGriddle
You can just create a folder on an SD card and drag and drop the songs you want directly into it from iTunes. Make new folders for different playlists. It works fine for me that way.
I don't believe he's asking about iTunes. He's asking how the built-in jukebox/hard drive in the car works.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WatchNut
I don't believe he's asking about iTunes. He's asking how the built-in jukebox/hard drive in the car works.
Sorry, maybe I should have clarified. PhilH: Once you drag and drop the songs form iTunes into folders on your SD card, you can simply import them directly from the SD card into the Jukebox. The Jukebox will then organize your songs using the appropriate metadata. Also, there isn;t as much alg with the Jukebox as there is when you first start using the AMI.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McGriddle
Sorry, maybe I should have clarified. PhilH: Once you drag and drop the songs form iTunes into folders on your SD card, you can simply import them directly from the SD card into the Jukebox. The Jukebox will then organize your songs using the appropriate metadata. Also, there isn;t as much alg with the Jukebox as there is when you first start using the AMI.

Hope that helps!
You're right, testing it out, that does work. Only thing is I have 112 artists on itunes, and only have 20 folders for artists that are organized in any way into folders so far. Looks like I have a bit of work to do. Thanks for the info.

I still wonder if the jukebox would make sense of the jumbled mess of strangely named folders that are currently on my computer.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilH
You're right, testing it out, that does work. Only thing is I have 112 artists on itunes, and only have 20 folders for artists that are organized in any way into folders so far. Looks like I have a bit of work to do. Thanks for the info.

I still wonder if the jukebox would make sense of the jumbled mess of strangely named folders that are currently on my computer.
Yes, the Juke ignores any folders you make on the SD, it pulls metadata (so long as the metadata is intact) and allows you to sort them by artist, genre, album, or song title.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Yes, the Juke ignores any folders you make on the SD, it pulls metadata (so long as the metadata is intact) and allows you to sort them by artist, genre, album, or song title.
Thanks, I think I'm going to give the jukebox a try.

edit--->Actually, doing more research it seems that although the hard disk space in the S4 is 40GB, the nav uses nearly 30GB of it, so there's only between 12GB and 15GB of space for music in the jukebox (http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_4301.shtml). Others have said there's only 10GB available for music. I currently have 18GB of music on my ipod, and the size is only getting bigger. Also, just being able to take the ipod out of the car, plug it into the computer and update the songs seems to be easier than downloading new songs to SD cards and then uploading them into jukebox.

Last edited by PhilH; 07-05-2010 at 04:06 AM.