S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Unexpected features you're discovered during ownership

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unexpected features you're discovered during ownership

This is probably a rather silly thread but I'm curious what features you've discovered after owning an S4 for a while that you didn't expect. After looking at the dash for a while and finally reading the owners manualy this week I found out that we have rear fog lights. Oddly, Saturday was strangely foggy in Houston on Saturday so I actually used them. No clue if it helped but it's cool to know they're there if needed. I've started turning them on when backing out of my garage at night and there is a notable difference in the illumination through the back up camera. Rear fog lamps (WTF)? How cool is that!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

hooks in the trunk ceiling that pull down to hold grocery bags so you can still hammer it and not have things flying around
Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here's one. Where is my friggin ski bag? My last S4 had this standard. Has a hole for it on this car, but no ski bag. I have checked out the grocery bag holders already...

All the S4s for many generations have had rear foglights, dude.

Bruce
Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MalSer
This is probably a rather silly thread but I'm curious what features you've discovered after owning an S4 for a while that you didn't expect. After looking at the dash for a while and finally reading the owners manualy this week I found out that we have rear fog lights. Oddly, Saturday was strangely foggy in Houston on Saturday so I actually used them. No clue if it helped but it's cool to know they're there if needed. I've started turning them on when backing out of my garage at night and there is a notable difference in the illumination through the back up camera. Rear fog lamps (WTF)? How cool is that!
Audi has long used rear fogs. While many people argue they are too bright and blinding, I think they lend an extra safety measure. Regardless, it was once used to show fellow Audi drivers a "hello" on the road when you'd flick it on while passing. Don't think that still flies today.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MalSer
That's not how you use them, they're for other drivers to see you're rear whenyoure driving in thick fog. Creative use though.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

lol, I don't think there was any confusion about what a rear fog lamp is actually used for.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are rear fogs not mandatory in the US then? They are over 'ere (UK)
Old 12-14-2009, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete.S
Are rear fogs not mandatory in the US then? They are over 'ere (UK)
Sadly no, they are a rare thing here only on higher end autos.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Sadly no, they are a rare thing here only on higher end autos.
I find that quite incredible for modern times. Most of the major motorway accidents over here involving multiple fatalities have been in fog.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, and there are massive pile-ups every year in known foggy areas (one long strech of highway in Tennessee comes to mind) - fatalities which could likely be avoided.

From 1990: http://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/12/us...tennessee.html

From 2002: http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=15333

Quick Reply: Unexpected features you're discovered during ownership