S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Unexpected features you're discovered during ownership

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AoA is damn inaccurate, so I was surprised to find out that my car has red (monochrome) DIS even though AoA says it is "color".
Another surprise was the absence of the Hill Assist that I had on my Bimmer. Sure, you can use the electronic brake for it, but that is just an extra step...
Old 12-14-2009, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AvantB8
AoA is damn inaccurate, so I was surprised to find out that my car has red (monochrome) DIS even though AoA says it is "color".
Another surprise was the absence of the Hill Assist that I had on my Bimmer. Sure, you can use the electronic brake for it, but that is just an extra step...
I think you only get a color DIS when you have Nav.

Also, isn't Hill Assist standard? Maybe it's only on the S-Tronic...
Old 12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

"hill assist" exists on all the cars, but it is in conjunction with the electronic e brake. Set that, then once there is enough force to the wheels from the motor the brake will release automatically.

That said, I don't really like it all that much and don't use it for a "hill hold/assist" purpose.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Only way to get a hill holder clutch setup is by buying a Subaru, and then only two models come with it standard, and then only in a standard transmission vehicle.

No other company has a combination that comes close to the success they've had in this area. If you've never driven one, you plainly just can't understand.

If you have to use your e-brake, you don't have hill-holder, you have a coordination issue, lol.

I love my Audi, don't get me wrong, but the wife adores her 2010 Forester with hill-holder, too. I had a Subaru sedan back in 1983 that lasted until 95 or so that had the feature.

Back to topic: I have found that one of my storage trays on the dash requires a real soft touch as opposed to the others to come open....
Old 12-14-2009, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lyman_T
Only way to get a hill holder clutch setup is by buying a Subaru, and then only two models come with it standard, and then only in a standard transmission vehicle.

No other company has a combination that comes close to the success they've had in this area. If you've never driven one, you plainly just can't understand.

If you have to use your e-brake, you don't have hill-holder, you have a coordination issue, lol.

I love my Audi, don't get me wrong, but the wife adores her 2010 Forester with hill-holder, too. I had a Subaru sedan back in 1983 that lasted until 95 or so that had the feature.

Back to topic: I have found that one of my storage trays on the dash requires a real soft touch as opposed to the others to come open....
Not ONLY on the Subis... I had a 2006 325i 6MT and it was a standard feature...
Old 12-14-2009, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McGriddle
I think you only get a color DIS when you have Nav.

Also, isn't Hill Assist standard? Maybe it's only on the S-Tronic...
I believe so...
But if you go on the AoA web site, it says that every S4 model gets it
Old 12-14-2009, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AvantB8
Not ONLY on the Subis... I had a 2006 325i 6MT and it was a standard feature...
Standard on my 2009 BMW 135i as well. At first I thought it was just another over- engineered BS feature that I wouldn't like (such as automatic windshield wipers that never seem to get it right)...

I ended up loving the hill hold feature, it really makes driving more convenient in hilly areas.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll add that I really am liking the electromechanical parking brake. At first I was like wth is with this button I am pressing! I am still grasping for the ebrake everytime i park. Great feature in the end, auto-disengage, great for hilly starts etc.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Why would you have hill assist when you drive a manual?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4CE FED NOGARO
Why would you have hill assist when you drive a manual?
If that is a general question, then there are muppets and beginners who have trouble hill starting, even with a manual.

Quick Reply: Unexpected features you're discovered during ownership