S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Unexpected features you're discovered during ownership

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

The VAGCOM "Enable Reverse mirror tilt" setting that allows the passenger side mirror to tilt down, when one backs up, to prevent curbing the the tires during parallel parking. Great feature. Of course one needs to twist the side mirror control **** to passenger side to allow it to activate. There so many extra features, that are turned off by default in North America.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 AM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by zulujams
Thanks. You're not the first one to say how good the cards are. I know the info is out there if I look, but life is busy. Do you have a quick recommendation on an SD card? Size, type, etc. I don't use SD for anything and I think there are different form factors?
If you need a card reader, this is a good combo. 16GB + usb adapter for computer attachment for $31.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139088

Don't need sd card reader? This 16GB is $21

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820161396
Old 09-21-2011, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swissdrive
my funniest discovery :
the 3-4 'slits' at the right side of the gear lever is a coin holder (i thought at first it was maybe for the cabin air temp sensor or something like that)
I'd put this one in the 'B8 top design errors'
Not a design flaw. It's designed that way to allow for Right and Left hand drive cars to share the same center console. Cuts down on costs.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Sor, I will check the links out, but first I have to check out what version my MMI is. After more reading, I may be limited to 4GB SD cards and not be able to use the higher sized cards.

Regarding swissdrive's post, I believe the post about the coin slot being a design error was because of confusion of what the heck it was. I had no idea what it was at first either until I looked really closely at it. I'm sure the manual covers its function but I must have skimmed by that feature. I have yet to try it out or find an alternate use for it!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 6mt has hill hold assist - there is an 'auto' button below the electro handbrake switch. When that is on, the handbrake automatically comes on when I stop on a slight gradient and a small green indicator appears on the dash. Do you have this option in the states, or is this just on uk cars?

Originally Posted by Lyman_T
Only way to get a hill holder clutch setup is by buying a Subaru, and then only two models come with it standard, and then only in a standard transmission vehicle.

No other company has a combination that comes close to the success they've had in this area. If you've never driven one, you plainly just can't understand.

If you have to use your e-brake, you don't have hill-holder, you have a coordination issue, lol.

I love my Audi, don't get me wrong, but the wife adores her 2010 Forester with hill-holder, too. I had a Subaru sedan back in 1983 that lasted until 95 or so that had the feature.

Back to topic: I have found that one of my storage trays on the dash requires a real soft touch as opposed to the others to come open....
Old 09-21-2011, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zulujams
Thanks Sor, I will check the links out, but first I have to check out what version my MMI is. After more reading, I may be limited to 4GB SD cards and not be able to use the higher sized cards. ...
'10 A/S4's & A/S5's have the newer readers and are able to handle the higher capacity faster cards.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
'10 A/S4's & A/S5's have the newer readers and are able to handle the higher capacity faster cards.
Good news, thanks. 4GB SD only (not SDHC) cards are hard to find, and 2GB seems like a waste of time. Will give it a shot someday soon.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
Not a design flaw. It's designed that way to allow for Right and Left hand drive cars to share the same center console. Cuts down on costs.
let me rephrase, i didn't mean it's a flaw, it just meant that it's at a rather unusual place. I'd have hidden it somewhere less visible
Old 09-22-2011, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyrnnus
I have only used them in digital cameras before and not a big user.
I went to the store bought an 8GB with a higher transfer rate and usb/ media adapter. Plug and play - was dead simple.

the advise I followed from others was to organize the files in up to 3 levels to make it easier for the MMI to read.
eg:
rock - ACDC - Back in black
classics
retro

you get the idea.

spent $40 for both the SD and adapter and well worth it. took 1.5 hours to organize the 1000 songs but its all good now.
Do you have to export the music from itunes to make this work or is it something you can organize from the itunes interface? I've been running with an old nano that won't work unless it's plugged in but this sounds like it's worth the effort.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Get any SD card up to 32GB (or two if you like) and you'll be good to go.

I've always had my music organized by artist/album/song, so for me it was drag and drop. If you don't, though, numerous programs are available to organize your music for you.

Quick Reply: Unexpected features you're discovered during ownership