S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Unexpected features you're discovered during ownership

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by zulujams
My favorite feature may be turning the headlight **** to the parking light setting. This keeps the LEDs on the front even when signaling a turn (no need for a VAG-COM cable for this). I prefer having tailights lit anyway, so this works for me.
Interesting...however I see now that it dims the DLRs when you put on the parking lights.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesPaul
My 6mt has hill hold assist - there is an 'auto' button below the electro handbrake switch. When that is on, the handbrake automatically comes on when I stop on a slight gradient and a small green indicator appears on the dash. Do you have this option in the states, or is this just on uk cars?
Definitely no hill assist in the states, I'd love it since I want to move to Cali
Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gk1
Interesting...however I see now that it dims the DLRs when you put on the parking lights.
Interesting, didn't notice that! I read somewhere that you can adjust the brightness of the front LEDs with a VAG-COM cable. I really need to pick one of those up. I think using the cable is the is the only way to disable the 'after wipe' when cleaning the windshield. That feature is really annoying and will just smear the windshield in salty winter conditions I think.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

That no vag cable is needed for auto-fold mirrors, offside mirror dip when reversing and opening/closing windows+sunroof with the remote (Germany-spec car).
Old 09-23-2011, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Uh oh BobbyJim, you're gonna start trouble with the US car owners over that auto-fold mirror option...it doesn't exist here in the US and another thread went around and around about it lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default TDI tech trickle-down

Originally Posted by audifan22
Definitely no hill assist in the states, I'd love it since I want to move to Cali
From 2006-2010, I owned a Jetta TDI 5MT, and one of the "features" that I really loved about that car, was its amazing torque capacity at idle. Not only the idle-speed capacity, but also the control characteristic of the fuel system, which regulated the idle speed so well that you could load the engine heavily without touching the accelerator, and it would keep steady idle speed.
On hills, you could make use of that by just letting the clutch out to the friction point to hold the car when you release the brake. It worked on the steep downtown-Seattle hills too.
When I had my first Audi - a 2010 A4 2.0T 6MT - I discovered that it was almost as capable at idle, as the TDI. I suspect it's due to the high-pressure FSI fuel system, which seems to have "inherited" some of the TDI fuel system character. As long as you don't engage the clutch too quickly, you can get a substantial amount of torque from the engine without touching the throttle pedal. I quickly got into the habit of using this for hill starts, and it consistently worked very smoothly.
I haven't had the opportunity to try this with the 3.0TFSI, but it would be very interesting if some S4 6MT folks could do so, and report back here.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm a 20-year BMW vet who is considering jumping ship to an S4. I'm now trying to read as many posts as possible to understand what features that I'm accustomed to in BMW may not be available in the Audi.

So is the passanger mirror tilt-down feature available in US-spec cars? I'd be amazed if it wasn't, but I just want to be sure.

Also, fwiw, hill-hold has been a feature on all BMW 6MTs for a number of years now. I love it.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The gas door locks when you lock your car. I couldn't figure out why the gas tank door wouldn't open when I first got my car. I locked it, went in to the gas station to get a drink, came back out to pump gas, and found this out.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
So is the passanger mirror tilt-down feature available in US-spec cars? I'd be amazed if it wasn't, but I just want to be sure.
To get the side mirror to tilt down when backing up, you need to modify the ECU using a VAG COM cable, or get the dealer to change the setting for you. It cannot be enabled/disabled through the MMI interface.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
To get the side mirror to tilt down when backing up, you need to modify the ECU using a VAG COM cable, or get the dealer to change the setting for you. It cannot be enabled/disabled through the MMI interface.
My US 2012 S4 Prestige passenger mirror tilts down when reversing. The mirror adjustment **** must be turned to the passenger side mirror.

Quick Reply: Unexpected features you're discovered during ownership