S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Unexpected features you're discovered during ownership

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
Not sure about the auxiliary heating and cooling, I've never even noticed that choice, but if you set the climate control on auto and select the temp you want, it will definitely heat or cool as necessary without further input.
You can vagcom aux heating and cooling, but the only thing it will do is run the fan on your car when it is turned off, not the heater or A/C. Still useful though when it's 100 degrees and your car is parked outside and you know you'll be coming back to it at a certain time, as you can set a timer to turn it on and at least circulate the air so it's only hot rather than uncomfortable.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

came back from a 3-day trip. while on cruise control, I found out the brake will automatically engage to maintain cruise speed. I noticed it on a downhill when speed kept picking up w/o pressing on accelerator. pretty sure it's not engine brake because rpm didn't rise when I felt the braking.
checked the manual and confirmed. it's called active brake intervention. LOL. guess I am falling behind all these fancy hi tech thingy.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SIDUA
came back from a 3-day trip. while on cruise control, I found out the brake will automatically engage to maintain cruise speed. I noticed it on a downhill when speed kept picking up w/o pressing on accelerator. pretty sure it's not engine brake because rpm didn't rise when I felt the braking.
checked the manual and confirmed. it's called active brake intervention. LOL. guess I am falling behind all these fancy hi tech thingy.
Our BMW X5 does that. Can you turn it off?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Foogie
Our BMW X5 does that. Can you turn it off?
Guess not.
Don't know how many of you find it helpful? or it's just too much of intervention?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A few random replies:
I didn't know about the grocery hooks until now, thanks for that!
The US cars do have hill assist but it isn't automatic - you have to engage the handbrake and it automatically disengages as you drive away.
The SD cards are awesome. The 2010 supports up to a 32GB SDHC card in each slot which can hold a lot of music (newer models may support larger cards).
Also one other feature is that the car gives you a warning/status message when your smart key battery starts to die. So you have plenty of time to replace it before you get stuck using the manual key. In one forum I read that they can be recharged but at least in my 2010 they definitely cannot - you need a new battery. Mine lasted almost 2 years.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

the hill assist is automatic on the 2012. I was recently at a parking garage on a steep incline and let go of the brake and it held it for a few sec before it lets go and then rolls back. I have tried to put on the parking brake and give it gas to see if it lets go automatically and o=it didn't, at least not on 2012's
Old 10-19-2011, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by windyctyaudi
I have tried to put on the parking brake and give it gas to see if it lets go automatically and o=it didn't, at least not on 2012's
That is odd. It works on my 2012. I tested it in the driveway.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

i will have to give it a try again, maybe i have to give it more gas
Old 10-19-2011, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by windyctyaudi
i will have to give it a try again, maybe i have to give it more gas
Have to have seat belt buckled for it to work also.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SIDUA
correctemundo...brakes are applied to maintain speed when cruise is on. )))

Quick Reply: Unexpected features you're discovered during ownership