S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

USB Drives with AMI

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you interested in attempting to get this done, you need a tool to format the drive larger than 32GB into Fat32 so the MMI recognizes it.

Here is a handy TOOL that I came across which you can download into your Windows machine and get this done.

Here is a Path Analyzer which was written by MartyList. The purpose of this tool is to make it easier to find MP3 files that will not be displayed (or played) by the RNS-E.

Good Luck
Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Jeffc, just spoke to Seagate and they state that the drive should power with a USB 2.0 port. Taking that into consideration, the USB 2 standard port gives out 500mA and 5V of power. I am sure that the MMI port is capable of this, we just need to see if there is any resistor that is hold back the power source through the cable.

Unfortunately my car went into service today so I dont have my cable available, but I will try to call Audi and confirm the output of the USB AMI cable and let you know.

If all is well with the cable then I will move onto the drive to see what is holding back from it being recognized by the system
Old 05-10-2012, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Jeffc, please confirm which cable you have from the pictures below.

The left or the right?
Attached Images   
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

An SSD will not work.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

sendme.

The drive (not an SSD) works on the USB 2 ports on all of my computers, so it doesn't seem like voltage draw would be an issue. Maybe it is the cable. Hadn't thought of that possibility. I have the USB A cable on the right. I'll measure the resistance if you can tell me which pin(s) to measure, and if I don't have to destroy the cable.

The other issue is how to use playlists on the SD card. The Playlist option appears when I select the SD input, but it is grayed out.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jeffc
sendme.

The drive (not an SSD) works on the USB 2 ports on all of my computers, so it doesn't seem like voltage draw would be an issue. Maybe it is the cable. Hadn't thought of that possibility. I have the USB A cable on the right. I'll measure the resistance if you can tell me which pin(s) to measure, and if I don't have to destroy the cable.

The other issue is how to use playlists on the SD card. The Playlist option appears when I select the SD input, but it is grayed out.

Thanks

Jeff
The power pins are 25 & 28, should give you 5V
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2012, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Jeffc, forgot to add the pin out for the Apple Dock Connector.

Here you go: iPod Pin Out
Old 05-10-2012, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
An SSD will not work.
Say what?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jeffc
sendme.

Thanks

Jeff
Sorry for the delayed response on the Playlist question, here are some tools that I have used to create playlist that should be recognized by the MMI system if don't correctly.

Windows - Playlist Creator

Mac OS X - MMiTunes

Please confirm if it works for you or not.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. I'll try it.

Quick Reply: USB Drives with AMI