S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: Looking for failure rate of your original water pump based on build date.
Build date on/before 2/10 and my water pump failed
26.19%
Build date on/before 2/10 and my water pump has NOT failed
36.51%
Build date on/after 3/10 and my water pump failed
2.38%
Build date on/after 3/10 and my water pump has NOT failed
34.92%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Water Pump Failure Survey By Build Date (not mileage)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bad news for you. Your survey doesn't seem to consider the possibility of more than one water pump failure per car. I have one of the first B8 S4s produced, build date Mar 09. My first water pump went at 5000 miles in Nov 09. It was replaced with another plastic water pump which failed two days ago (at 9500 miles). I now have to wait 2 weeks for Audi to send one of the new modified (metal) water pumps from Germany. Since there are 3 votes in this poll for failure of the new modified water pump this may not be the end of the story...
Old 11-09-2010, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ACE_
I have bad news for you. Your survey doesn't seem to consider the possibility of more than one water pump failure per car. I have one of the first B8 S4s produced, build date Mar 09. My first water pump went at 5000 miles in Nov 09. It was replaced with another plastic water pump which failed two days ago (at 9500 miles). I now have to wait 2 weeks for Audi to send one of the new modified (metal) water pumps from Germany. Since there are 3 votes in this poll for failure of the new modified water pump this may not be the end of the story...
Yep...you are right. It's difficult to anticipate everything on these polls. If I had a way to change it for you I would. I know that there is at least 1 other person in your situation...new plastic pump also failed.

I think 2 of the votes in option #3 were incorrectly selected. So as I see it we have 21 failures and 40 that have not. That's about a 33% failure rate at this point.

Then the question is...does this sample represent a widespread view of the S4 population? I think it does. We have many walks of life on this forum who drive their vehicles diffently, a wide range of purchase dates, global geography, etc.

If these are failing at a 33% rate then I can understand why many areas have the pumps on back order right now.

Sorry you are had to suffer through 2 failures.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:45 PM
wje
AudiWorld Newcomer

My S4 is sitting at the dealer, waiting for a pump. It's been almost a week. Apparently, Audi parts was closed Thurs - Sun. Pump is now on back-order. I got a call from Audi in full damage-control mode. They're "expediting" a pump, whatever that means, if anything. He did say they don't have enough pumps to fix all the failed ones, and certainly not enough for a full recall. He also said their supplier is running 24-hour shifts trying to catch up.

My dealer said they'd only seen 2 failures until recently. Now they've seen 6 in the last 2 weeks. My magic number was 10K miles, so if the failure is time-dependent there should be a lot more happening soon.

On the plus side, Audi's giving me the Audi service plan for free, which I didn't buy when I got the car. If you get a call from them, just be sure to express your displeasure. Something along the lines of 'I should have gotten that BMW' should do it.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine broke the day before Thanksgiving when I was 450 miles from home .
Hopefully ,they had one in stock but i spoke today with AoA and they have customer associate just assign for the WP issue and they do not have enough pump in hand .
The customer associate told me ,from know when every car go for 15000 miles service ,the WP is replace .
So if you are close to 15000 miles take appointement ASAP .
Good luke to all .
Old 12-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can add me to the list of those who have to change their vote from #2 to #1. October 2010 build with about 7,600 miles. VIN not part of the campaign. Got home from work last night from my short mile and a half commute - everything was fine. Started loading up the car about an hour later to bring my son to hockey practice and there was a puddle on the floor. Called roadside assistance at about 7:10 this morning and was told that the tow truck would be there within the hour - he showed up within 30 minutes. Can't complain about that. Rode to the dealer, was told they have the new water pump in stock and they should be able to get to it today. Also having them check to see if they can do anything about the brake squeal, door seals coming loose, and the LED DRLs not being the same intensity between the left & the right side. Might as well have them check things out while it's there. Only complaint is that by the time I got there, all the Audi loaner cars were gone and I'm stuck with a POS Toyota Corolla. I'll live.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Meant October 2009 build.

Originally Posted by anthony9999a
You can add me to the list of those who have to change their vote from #2 to #1. October 2010 build with about 7,600 miles. VIN not part of the campaign. Got home from work last night from my short mile and a half commute - everything was fine. Started loading up the car about an hour later to bring my son to hockey practice and there was a puddle on the floor. Called roadside assistance at about 7:10 this morning and was told that the tow truck would be there within the hour - he showed up within 30 minutes. Can't complain about that. Rode to the dealer, was told they have the new water pump in stock and they should be able to get to it today. Also having them check to see if they can do anything about the brake squeal, door seals coming loose, and the LED DRLs not being the same intensity between the left & the right side. Might as well have them check things out while it's there. Only complaint is that by the time I got there, all the Audi loaner cars were gone and I'm stuck with a POS Toyota Corolla. I'll live.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
So long as it doesn't have a BMW HPFP!

zing!
Don't think it will matter as long it has the BMW engine they are going to be screwed.
I don't think it is just the HPFP, but more of an engine design problem.
The reason is if it is just HPFP, BMW with all their great engineers would have solved this buy year 2 but it is like year 4-5 now and still 2011 with the new turbo still have the same problem. I don't think the N55 was totally redisigned and if it was it tells you BMW has no idea what is causing the HPFP to fail. If it was only just the HPFP quality of the part or design of the HPFP this would not still be failing.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am now an official member of the Waterpump forum. If possible to change our poll reply, you can change me from option #1 (before 2-10 and no fail) to option #2 (built before 2-10 and has failed).

I have a 2010 S4, january 2010 build date, VIN number outside the range to be replaced before failure. Mine failed this morning (sunday) as I was pulling back into my driveway, very cold morning. Sunday failure complicates things significantly with delivery to dealer who is closed, getting a loaner/rental, etc. Audi is handling costs, but logistically not easy.

My pump burst and sprayed a fair bit of coolant all over the engine and down. Would you guys recommend I request/demand an engine cleaning? Also, its going to be sitting in my driveway overnight, should I spray the engine before the coolant dries in there?

Anything else I should do that might help my situation or our plight with Audi of America? I have not made any noise with them pro-actively, but now obviously have a tangible complaint with how they have managed this known reliability issue. Anybody have any luck calling Audi of America to complain? Thanks for any replies.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by T-RAD
I am now an official member of the Waterpump forum. If possible to change our poll reply, you can change me from option #1 (before 2-10 and no fail) to option #2 (built before 2-10 and has failed).

I have a 2010 S4, january 2010 build date, VIN number outside the range to be replaced before failure. Mine failed this morning (sunday) as I was pulling back into my driveway, very cold morning. Sunday failure complicates things significantly with delivery to dealer who is closed, getting a loaner/rental, etc. Audi is handling costs, but logistically not easy.

My pump burst and sprayed a fair bit of coolant all over the engine and down. Would you guys recommend I request/demand an engine cleaning? Also, its going to be sitting in my driveway overnight, should I spray the engine before the coolant dries in there?

Anything else I should do that might help my situation or our plight with Audi of America? I have not made any noise with them pro-actively, but now obviously have a tangible complaint with how they have managed this known reliability issue. Anybody have any luck calling Audi of America to complain? Thanks for any replies.
Sorry it happened. Mine has 11K miles, build 11-09 still showing full. I am scared driving too much the car.
I would suggest contact an Audi dealer with metal H20 pump on stock before towing the car there.
Good luck!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

First waterpump replaced at 10000km, second at 16000... mmm.

Now an oil seperator/splitter ? - After this was replaced now the engine management warning light has been on twice. Hopefully they can sort this out today. Some warning about a flap that controls the power at higher revs...

No wonder I don't like the dealerships...

Quick Reply: Water Pump Failure Survey By Build Date (not mileage)