S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Way uneven tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way uneven tire wear

Today I noticed that my front driver's side tire is nearly shot in the middle so that got me looking at the other 3.

The front passenger is pretty worn but not terrible, the back passenger is about 50% worn but the back the strange part is the rear driver's side tire looks literally brand new. I had them rotated at the 5000 mile service and currently have 12k miles. I have noticed that the car tends to pull to the left a little but I chalked it up to tramlining in the left lane (I spend most of my time there ) due to pitch of the road. One weird thing is I notice some very bad pulling at low speeds below 20 mph (always to the left) that I had just assumed was tramlining but now I'm wondering. I mentioned this to the dealer at my 5k service and they took it out and said it felt fine to them and since then I've just gotten used to it since it really is very subtle on the highway.

Anyone else seen this? Any advice? I checked the tire pressures and they were all only ~3 PSI low.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have SD or ADS? Lots of fast hard turns will direct more torque to the outside rear wheel. In your case more wear on the right rear would indicate left turns. Not sure if it would ever make a difference on tire wear, but it's a thought.

More wear in the middle of a tire usually indicates over pressure.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brandonb
Do you have SD or ADS? Lots of fast hard turns will direct more torque to the outside rear wheel. In your case more wear on the right rear would indicate left turns. Not sure if it would ever make a difference on tire wear, but it's a thought.

I don't have ADS or SD. Truthfully I don't really drive it all that hard very often. I haven't been as diligent as I should on checking tire pressures but I'm pretty sure that if anything they have been a bit low now and then. I've kept them at what the door plate says: 41 psi.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brandonb

So, in other words, this is the symptom of a NASCAR racer?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

41psi is for a fully loaded car. Check your manual but in my s5 it says 36 front and 32 rear. The door psi is for a fully loaded car. If the wear is in the middle of the tire it is from being overinfalted.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
41psi is for a fully loaded car. Check your manual but in my s5 it says 36 front and 32 rear. The door psi is for a fully loaded car. If the wear is in the middle of the tire it is from being overinfalted.
Hmm, good point, I'll check that after work. Still though I've kept all 4 tires the same and the other 3 are nice and even just at different levels. If I were to guess % remaining tread I'd say something like:

Front
10% 40%

Back
85% 60%
Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would get the alignment checked
Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The left front was the first to wear out on my original set of tires after 22,000 miles. It was worn to the point where it had started a slow leak. I have run my tires at the same pressure as shown on the door tag. The Firestone dealer where I had the tires put on was not able to do an Audi alignment. My local Audi dealer charged me $189.95 to do a four wheel aligment which I thought was a little steep. Good luck with your tire issue.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got my car aligned when it only had a few hundred miles. I don't trust any factory alignments for any car. Alignment report in link below.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...8#post24087288

Alignment tech said my alignment was pretty decent from the factory... However, i'm sure every car is different from the factory.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

All signs do seem to point to an alignment issue. $189 does seem pretty steep, hopefully my dealer will be less . I'm torn now though because my plans were to let the summer tires wear out some time this summer and get all seasons for the duration of the lease. Now I have one pretty bad tire but I don't want to drop $300+ for one tire that will be replaced in 6 months. Ugh.

Another crazy thing I just realized is that I had the brake squeal "fixed" ~1000 miles ago in mid January and I checked the tires then to see if they needed rotated and didn't notice this problem (and presumably neither did the dealer). That was a fast trashing of that tire!

Quick Reply: Way uneven tire wear