S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

We finally have an MTM dyno

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAS5
i believe the link to the Audizine thread in the original post above by NWS4Guy showed 312whp stock...did it not?
Are you talking about the APR one? Forgive me for n ot bending over backward to believe a dyno run that's part of a marketing deck by a company that's got products to sell.

Also from NWS4Guy's link...(http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4b8/msgs/4396.phtml)....shows 284whp.

No offense intended...but with this much variability in the numbers being reported, I'm still highly skeptical of the 380hp claim. Forgive me for not unquestioningly drinking the Cool-Aid.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MickeySaleen
I am new to these forums so I dont know where to find the dyno sheets but I have seen them and Im sure most people on this forum have as well...someone will chime in with a link or two im hoping
ill argue this point with ya, mostly cause im bored and your an idiot

but a car wieghing 2 tons can do sub 5s 0-60 sprints and 1/4 mile rips if its constantly making peak horsepower and torque through most of its rev range

take a look at a dyno plot or audi's plot of hp and tq on this car, and walk away from the keyboard to "think"
Old 06-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tipsyhemi
ill argue this point with ya, mostly cause im bored and your an idiot

but a car wieghing 2 tons can do sub 5s 0-60 sprints and 1/4 mile rips if its constantly making peak horsepower and torque through most of its rev range

take a look at a dyno plot or audi's plot of hp and tq on this car, and walk away from the keyboard to "think"
idiot? go **** yourself man...show me ANY car in history weighing 4000+lbs with under 340chp that runs those times
Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

WN: This dyno data is from the same thread you provided a link to.(it was in a link)

How many stock wheel hp do you see?

edit: and before you call bs on it because it's from a tuner, realize that high stock numbers are directly against the tuner's interest. Why would they lie?

Last edited by LeadToRome; 06-30-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
WN: This dyno run is from the same thread you provided a link to.

How many stock wheel hp do you see?
I see 316awhp which equates to roughly 390chp
Old 06-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WatchNut
Are you talking about the APR one? Forgive me for n ot bending over backward to believe a dyno run that's part of a marketing deck by a company that's got products to sell.
Products to sell? APR hasnt even released any type of tuning for the B8 S4 yet. That dynp graph represents a STOCK S4...if anything, they would post lower stock results to make their products appear to have bigger gains, right?

I dont see your logic here..

And Tipsy, you're an idiot
Old 06-30-2010, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

APR is reputable, however their dyno is a hub dyno - they remove the wheels and the dyno goes on in their place. Removal of the rolling mass and not having the straps to hold the car in place cause these type dyno's to historically red higher than others. Thinking through this, APR would be artificially DEFLATING the stock numbers so that their after run would show even higher gains if they were trying to do some marketing ploy.

At the end of it all the dyno is a tool, you use the same one on the same car (on the same day if possible) to compare the two settings and give an idea of gains or losses. Don't use a best case run on a single dyno and quote it as gospel. That said, even the lowest dyno pulls reversing out a 25% drivetrain loss don't give 333HP that Audi claims, they give more than this. Reverse calculating unproven drivetrain losses is not how to get a real number, but it can get you in the ballpark.

The takeaway is that 333HP is what Audi claims at the crank, and it's not accurate either, it's underrated. How much depends on the car and conditions.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I see 316awhp which equates to roughly 390chp
Read NWS4Guy's post re: hub dyno
Old 06-30-2010, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
That said, even the lowest dyno pulls reversing out a 25% drivetrain loss don't give 333HP that Audi claims, they give more than this. Reverse calculating unproven drivetrain losses is not how to get a real number, but it can get you in the ballpark.

The takeaway is that 333HP is what Audi claims at the crank, and it's not accurate either, it's underrated. How much depends on the car and conditions.
Not disagreeing with any of this. I've already said that I think the 333 is underrated. What I'm disputing is the 380 number that MickeySaleen put out there. 350 to me is believable. 355....ok.
380...no.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

idiot? go **** yourself man...show me ANY car in history weighing 4000+lbs with under 340chp that runs those times
Grow up and stop the ridiculous insults. Then go look at how a flat power curve (both torque and horsepower) through a wide rev range can impact performance numbers.

Name-calling adds nothing to any argument. It just makes you look like a child, even if you're responding to someone else's baiting.

Quick Reply: We finally have an MTM dyno