S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What to comapare the B8 S4 to?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to comapare the B8 S4 to?

I am picking up my 2010 S4 today and am very excited. I am also returing my 2008 335xi today as well. I was wondering if the S4 should be compared to the 335xi or the M3 sedan? I am excited to compare the car to my 335xi, which I belive is better all around, that is why I bought it. However, I don't think it is to the level of the M3 sedan. Which car is a better comparison for the S4, the 335xi or M3 sedan? Is the S4 going to be produced in limited numbers like the M3 or is it going to be a common car like the 335xi, due to its new price point? Just wondering? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mercedes C350, BMW 335i.

M3 and C63 AMG are matched to the RS4/RS5 from a performance and price point.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So what color and options are you getting? Please post pics and impressions...

I also agree with NWS guy, however once you start modding these car I think the performace will be closer to an M3.... however the same is true with the 335 or any FI car.... I am speaking more in terms of acceleration not handling and such..... I also think some buyers have and do consider looking at buying an M3, ISF, C63 when shopping.... at least I did. I truly liked the S4 better than the others and the price was just an added bonus. later Ron
Old 03-12-2010, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Also to answer your second part: Audi said there will only be 7,000 2010 S4's made, 3,000 bound for North America. Not sure if this is accurate or not. I can tell you that I see 335's EVERYWHERE, I literally pass dozens a day to and from work on my 16 mile commute. There are about 30 in the parking deck at my office.

Conversely there is one A5 and one S4 (mine) in my parking deck at work
Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That was exactly what I was getting at. Around here in CT I do a lot of A4's and 328/335's. I do not see many M3's, AMG's, or S4's. I test drove a lot of cars and SUV's and when I got back in my 335 I liked my car better, until the S4. The fit and finish is superior and the power is smoother and all around stronger. I will try and update as the weeks pass comparing the two cars.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Also to answer your second part: Audi said there will only be 7,000 2010 S4's made, 3,000 bound for North America. Not sure if this is accurate or not.
Do you remember where you heard this? Was it a PR release by Audi, part of an article you read, or did you hear it third person?

I'm just curious, as I've recently been doing some digging into the history of the S4. I've been part of the BMW community so long that I feel out of touch with Audis. Just last night I was doing google searches trying to come up with the production volume of the various generations of S4, and I didn't come up with much at all. One forum post said that Audi doesn't report S4 sales separately. Of course, I'm sure they know what their sales expectations are, and also track them internally, but maybe the don't report them to the general public on a regular basis?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Mercedes C350, BMW 335i.

M3 and C63 AMG are matched to the RS4/RS5 from a performance and price point.
+1.

Except that I think a comparison of 4-Matic and X-drive version of the C-class and the 3-series are more appropriate against the S4/S5.

Also, regarding the so-called "limited production", I think "low volume" cars are more appropriate for all of these cars. They will never be truely "limited production" as there is too much profit to be made by the car companies. IMO, the term "Limited Production" only applies, for example, when a company openly states that they will build only 200 cars in total, of a specific model within a specific time frame regardless of the market demand, and actually sticking to their plan. A more recentl example of that will be Ferrari Enzo (400 cars total, from 2002 to 2004) and even more recently, the Toyota LFA (500 cars total, ~20 cars/month between 12/2010 and 12/2012).

PS: With the A6 3.0T, S4, S5 Cabs and soon to be S5 coupes, all sharing the same engine, I don't think you can really apply the term "Limited Production" to any of these cars.

Last edited by Tifosi; 03-12-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PhilH
Do you remember where you heard this? Was it a PR release by Audi, part of an article you read, or did you hear it third person?

I'm just curious, as I've recently been doing some digging into the history of the S4. I've been part of the BMW community so long that I feel out of touch with Audis. Just last night I was doing google searches trying to come up with the production volume of the various generations of S4, and I didn't come up with much at all. One forum post said that Audi doesn't report S4 sales separately. Of course, I'm sure they know what their sales expectations are, and also track them internally, but maybe the don't report them to the general public on a regular basis?
If I recall, I believe it was AoC_RR on here who said it. He is a reputable poster and a sales associate with Audi of Charlotte (hence the AoC name). You could PM him to verify, but I am pretty sure I heard him say this, and it has been repeated often, though perhaps just taken as "gospil" and not verified. I have not seen it in print though.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mdadmd
I was wondering if the S4 should be compared to the 335xi or the M3 sedan? I am excited to compare the car to my 335xi, which I beleive is better all around, that is why I bought it. However, I don't think it is to the level of the M3 sedan. Which car is a better comparison for the S4, the 335xi or M3 sedan?
Performance wise, the S4 is matched up perfectly with the 335i (not sure about xi and don't care about xi anyway since we don't see any around here). Price-wise, the S4 is comparable to the 335i but only if you load up the 335i to match the standard content of the S4 (i.e. a stripped 335i is cheaper). If you are leasing, I would say S4 lease price is closer to the M3 sedan than the 335i.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
Performance wise, the S4 is matched up perfectly with the 335i (not sure about xi and don't care about xi anyway since we don't see any around here). Price-wise, the S4 is comparable to the 335i but only if you load up the 335i to match the standard content of the S4 (i.e. a stripped 335i is cheaper). If you are leasing, I would say S4 lease price is closer to the M3 sedan than the 335i.
Agree on all counts, of course the latter is because BMW grossly inflates their residuals.

Quick Reply: What to comapare the B8 S4 to?