S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What Don't You Like About The S4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Don't You Like About The S4?

Had my car for a month now, love the engine, S-tronic, suspension, etc. But there are a few minor ergonometric touches that could be better executed. For me:

1). Why is the second cupholder so small? If my wife and I both get in the car with decent sized cups, only one fits. The second seems fairly useless.

2). The cruise control stalk is in an awkward and hidden location. Still hard for me to find without looking down.

3). The first door stop on the driver's side is too far open. I share a crowded suburban garage with my wife's car and I pull far to the left to avoid door dings. I can't open the door far enough to engage the stop without hitting the wall; my previous car had a smaller angle intermediate stop.

4). The door storage pockets are too small. I can't fit either my gas mileage log or a water bottle in them.

Admittedly nit picking. This car is an almost perfect combination of sport and luxury and I enjoy every day in it...

John
Old 07-23-2010, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

1) 2nd cupholder too small (agree)
2) seat heaters are too weak (from wife)
3) exhaust sounds like a sewing machine (fixable)
4) no US chips out for it yet.

Bruce
Old 07-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Love everything about this car! But, no compass in the review-like to know which way I am going. My old A4 had this and I think it comes in Prestige package. Anyway; other than exhaust note ( which as mentioned can be addresed) I cannot think of anything else.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's not here!!!! (Estimated Oct/Nov delivery)
Old 07-23-2010, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

1 & 4) Have you tried setting the water bottle upright/angled forward at the front of the door pocket? I use this all the time and love it & for me it makes up for the small 2nd center drink holder. Silly, but I think it's a really nice little perk to the car.

2) You'll get used to it, or at least I did.

I do think that when you puch NAV the map should pop up first.

One thing that did annoy me was the high beam headlights. I pulled back and they flashed high then went back to normal when I let go. WTF? I FINALLY read the owners manual...push forward for ON and pull BACK for off. Simple and logical but counter intuitive compared to my last car. Just one more little nuance to adjust to but DAMN I love this car.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the navigation which has the compass so I didn't even notice the no-compass on the rear view mirror.

me and my gf HATES the second cupholder.. I know one should drive when in car, but we always buy something from starbucks and drive to a park. So I never drink when I'm in the car, but I do use the cupholder.

I went to Canadian tire to buy an aftermarket cupholder which has a leather wrap, so it doesn't look too cheap or out of place.

I got the car in the summer, so I used the seat heater about 1~2times, but only for the gf.

I didn't notice the first door stop.

I almost never use cruise control.

BUT! my gf is 164cm, and always gets the sun in her eyes even with the sun visor down. So I bought an extendable visor that attaches to it, and now it's fixed!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to have an M3 with SMG and I cannot get used to the gear change direction with the lever. On BMW's you pull back to upshift and push forward to downshift (correct way IMO). On the Audi it's opposite. At least the paddles are same.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MalSer
1 & 4) Have you tried setting the water bottle upright/angled forward at the front of the door pocket? I use this all the time and love it & for me it makes up for the small 2nd center drink holder. Silly, but I think it's a really nice little perk to the car.

Just one more little nuance to adjust to but DAMN I love this car.
I'll try this tomorrow. On our 2 previous cars, there was a slight pop-out at the end of the door pocket closest to the hinge that was specifically designed for a bottle or small cup. It was useful!

I also love the car...

John
Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koobah
I used to have an M3 with SMG and I cannot get used to the gear change direction with the lever. On BMW's you pull back to upshift and push forward to downshift (correct way IMO). On the Audi it's opposite. At least the paddles are same.
Except for shifting the car from park into neutral/reverse and back again, why would you use the gear shift lever on the center console at all? With quick acceleration, the S-Tronic will shift before you can get your hand from the steering wheel to the console anyway. So keep your hands on the steering wheel and use those paddles! :-)
Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

why do you feel you need a compass? seems pretty worthless to me. have had it in a few cars.

Bruce

Quick Reply: What Don't You Like About The S4?