S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What Tires With Titanium Package/Manual Combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Tires With Titanium Package/Manual Combo

Hi everyone -- Longtime lurker and current owner of a B7 A4 2.0T, I placed an order for a Sprint Blue S4 Premium Plus with the Titanium Package just before Thanksgiving. The dealer tells me to expect delivery around mid March. Its going to be a tough wait.

In the meantime, I'm curious as to what tires most people are getting with the Titanium Package and a manual transmission combo. Based on prior posts and polls, I see that most 18" wheels come with the new Pirelli P7 Cinturato, and that the 19" wheels come with a variety of tires (Pirelli P-Zero Rosso, Michelin PS2 or the new PS3, Dunlop Sport Maxx, and maybe even Bridgestone Potenzas and Contisport 3s?). I've noticed that virtually all photos of the Titanium Package-equipped S4s I see posted have the P-Zero Rosso tires.

I know that the performance characteristics of this tire are very good, but other aspects (particularly durability and noise) prsent a distinct downside, especially when compared to the likes of the Michelin PS2. What are people's thoughts on this tire (P-Zero Rosso) compared to the other potential tires, especially the Dunlops, which I'm not particularly familiar with?

I'll probably be more or less stuck with whatever the car comes with, but I guess it makes it sort of fun to guess as to what that will be! Thanks.

Bill
Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Last time I was at the dealer I saw a titanium package with the Dunlops on it if I recall correctly.

I have been back to the dealer a few times lately and I have seen at least 7 cars and the tires on them appear to be totally random.

My car came with the Dunlop Sport Maxx and I have been happy with them for about 7 months.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 AM

Mine came with P-Zero Rosso 255/35-ZR-19s. Took them off soon as I got home from the dealer and put my winter wheels on, so only have 60 miles on them so can't offer any comments about them.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine should be in within a couple of weeks, so I'll update with the tire info as well.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine came with the Pirelli P-Zero Rossos as well. 2011 Ibis Ti w/6-speed manual. Of course, I declined the wheel/tire insurance, and promptly blew one out on a pothole! Dealer was the only place that had the replacement tire in stock - $379!! Dammit!

The only complaint I have regarding the Pirellis is, as you mentioned, the road noise. They are pretty loud on most surfaces other than black asphalt. I currently have 2700 miles on the car. I'm in North Texas and our roads are really pretty good, hence the reason I declined the road/tire insurance plus the fact that I've had two BMW 3-series in the past five years and have been able to dodge the tire damage bullet. Hey, I figure I'm still ahead on it all!

When these tires need replacement I'll go with a good all-season tire, probably Contis or Michelins. We get enough wet weather here throughout the year, plus cold temps, to justify going away from the summer rubber.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 6MT w/ Ti pkg arrived a few weeks ago with P-Zeros
Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all. It seems that previously the Dunlops were most common, followed by a period where people were getting Michelins, and now most people are getting the Pirellis. Or it might just be totally random.

None of these is bad tires, but I think that some are better than others. Would love to get a set of the Michelins, but I can certainly "suffer" with the Pirellis (they are a big upgrade from the horrendous Pirelli P6 all-seasons my B7 "S-Line" A4 came with).

Will be eagerly reading reviews of the new Contisportcontact 5 and Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires as potential replacements down the road. Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bill--Got my 2010 S4 in May and it came with Mich PS3! (Well actually, it had Pirellis on it but a showroom model had the PS3 and they swapped them for me since I ordered the 19" wheel package)
Some thoughts on the PS3's. In the dry and warm conditions, these tires are amazing. Quiet but firm and very accurate for lack of a better term. However, in the snow, forget it! Anything over a few mph and you are sliding, skidding, etc.

Trying to find Conti's All season but they are on back order at the Rack. Hope it does not snow much soon.........
Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good news -- got the VIN yesterday. Still looking at a mid-March delivery. Still curious about what people are getting on their Ti/Manual cars.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got Pzero's as well.

Quick Reply: What Tires With Titanium Package/Manual Combo