S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What's the safest way to debadge V6T?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the safest way to debadge V6T?

I'm planning on debadging the V6T some time soon and was wondering if anyone knows what is the best way to do so? Or should I just take it to a professional (wouldn't even know where to go though??) to perform the job.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glide floss and a hairdryer.

Super clean the area before starting.

Heat the badges till warm/slightly hot to the touch, use floss the slip behind them working back and forth till they pop off.

Use bug/tar remover or Goo Gone to get the residual off the paint. Wash this area well once more, then wax it to protect.

Done.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soheagle
I'm planning on debadging the V6T some time soon and was wondering if anyone knows what is the best way to do so? Or should I just take it to a professional (wouldn't even know where to go though??) to perform the job.
The safest way to debadge & rebadge your $50-$60,000 car (with apologies to NWS4Guy)?

Take it to the dealership where you bought the car and let them do it! Then, if you have a fender bender - like I did - and the bodyshop needs to replace the badge - like mine did - they'll put the right badge on your car cause it'll show up in your car's history when they look it up!

PS My new supercharged badges are at the dealership waiting for me to pick them up - hopefully tomorrow if I have time!

Last edited by drrick89; 08-18-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said plus WD-40 and a rag. WD-40 helps break down the adhesive so you can get through it a bit easier. Spray the badge, let it soak for 1 minute, hit it with the hair dryer and work your way back and forth. You can use the WD-40 to remove any of the adhesive as well.

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy

Heat the badges till warm/slightly hot to the touch, use floss the slip behind them working back and forth till they pop off.

Use bug/tar remover or Goo Gone to get the residual off the paint. Wash this area well once more, then wax it to protect.

Done.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuGKPz0RcoI

Instead of scratch remover/polish used in the video, use adhesive remover as others have said in the thread.

Did mine and they came out great. I used Satin floss although my intraoral preference is glide Would stick to those two choices.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I used some crest glide dental floss... didn't even heat it up.

They come off easy... then you peel the adhesive off... you can use some bug/tar remover to help if you need to.

Don't make it more complicated that it is.... I mean, sure, you can if you want to, but any small scratch (that honestly I can't even imagine that you'd make) would be cleaned up with the next detail of your car anyhow.

Honestly, once the badges are off, I recommend cleaning the area anyhow... fixing any blemishes while you're at it.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drrick89
The safest way to debadge & rebadge your $50-$60,000 car (with apologies to NWS4Guy)?

Take it to the dealership where you bought the car and let them do it! Then, if you have a fender bender - like I did - and the bodyshop needs to replace the badge - like mine did - they'll put the right badge on your car cause it'll show up in your car's history when they look it up!

PS My new supercharged badges are at the dealership waiting for me to pick them up - hopefully tomorrow if I have time!
Taking your car to the dealer to have them take the badges off is overkill, IMO. You can do both sides in less than 10 minutes at home, and there is no risk in damaging your car or scratching anything if you use dental floss. Maybe your experiences with dealerships have been different than mine, but I have found that nobody cares as much about my car as I do.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
I used some crest glide dental floss... didn't even heat it up.

They come off easy... then you peel the adhesive off... you can use some bug/tar remover to help if you need to.

Don't make it more complicated that it is.... I mean, sure, you can if you want to, but any small scratch (that honestly I can't even imagine that you'd make) would be cleaned up with the next detail of your car anyhow.

Honestly, once the badges are off, I recommend cleaning the area anyhow... fixing any blemishes while you're at it.
I left the car in the sun for an hr and then used the same method as DrVolkl
Old 08-19-2010, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drrick89

Really, it's so easy even a noob like me did it. Keep your service manager free for cool stuff like VAG changes!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy

Done.
My supercharged badges arrived this week...this thread couldn't have arrived an a better time!

Quick Reply: What's the safest way to debadge V6T?