S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Wheel Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Suggestions?

Hey guys,

Looking for some input on a set of wheels. I always change the wheels on my cars and an am a big believer in the benefits of reductions in unsprung weight. On prior cars I have had BBS CH, BBS LM and Vorsteiner V105 monoblocks.

My preferences are:
18" (for ride quality)
Forged
One Piece/monoblock
Light weight

Right now I am considering the BBS RE

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

I also really like the Nuespeed RS10

http://www.supremepowerparts.com/0/3..._category.html

These forged wheels are only 17.9 lbs which would be fantastic but they are not listed as being available for my car. I'm wondering is their is a center bore or centering ring that would allow them to work on my car.

Overall not seeing as many options as I had hoped. Did Audi change the wheel spec from the B7 to the B8?

Would appreciate any suggestions. Picking wheels drives me nuts. The right wheels totally make the car, the wrong ones make the car look cheap.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 547 Likes on 368 Posts

BBS RGR is very nice and meets your criteria.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhs525
Hey guys,

Looking for some input on a set of wheels. I always change the wheels on my cars and an am a big believer in the benefits of reductions in unsprung weight. On prior cars I have had BBS CH, BBS LM and Vorsteiner V105 monoblocks.

My preferences are:
18" (for ride quality)
Forged
One Piece/monoblock
Light weight

Right now I am considering the BBS RE

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

I also really like the Nuespeed RS10

http://www.supremepowerparts.com/0/3..._category.html

These forged wheels are only 17.9 lbs which would be fantastic but they are not listed as being available for my car. I'm wondering is their is a center bore or centering ring that would allow them to work on my car.

Overall not seeing as many options as I had hoped. Did Audi change the wheel spec from the B7 to the B8?

Would appreciate any suggestions. Picking wheels drives me nuts. The right wheels totally make the car, the wrong ones make the car look cheap.
Yes the center bore changed on the B8's. So most wheels will require hub centeric rings.

Those forged wheels are 57.1mm center bore and 5x100 bolt pattern, ours are 66.56mm and 5x112. So they just won't work.

You might be interested in these (probably the lightest weight for our car)
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel..._18&sort=Brand

Last edited by FatalBert; 08-14-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Those Neuspeeds are 5-100 but I believe the S4 is 5-112. I don't think there's a way to work around bolt spacing differences.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes the center bore changed on the B8's. So most wheels will require hub centeric rings.

Those forged wheels are 57.1mm center bore and 5x100 bolt pattern, ours are 66.56mm and 5x112. So they just won't work.

You might be interested in these (probably the lightest weight for our car)
Thanks, the nuespeed does come in a 5x112 but the center bore is still 57.1MM. I saw a thread were the vendor claimed to machine the center bores when required to make a wheel fit but I have no experience with that so not sure how I feel about it.

Thanks for the OZ suggestion. I have looked at those many times. They are a nice wheel, very light even though they aren't forged. A big saving over a forged wheel.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
BBS RGR is very nice and meets your criteria.
The RGR is a nice wheel. I tried to buy a set for my E46 M3 but they were back ordered for months so I ended up going with BBS LM's (Which I still have and my son is putting on his 328Ci)

For some reason I see the RGR looking better on a BMW vs the S4.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mhs525
The RGR is a nice wheel. I tried to buy a set for my E46 M3 but they were back ordered for months so I ended up going with BBS LM's (Which I still have and my son is putting on his 328Ci)

For some reason I see the RGR looking better on a BMW vs the S4.
Jealous. I could not afford real LM's I had to get reps.
Wish I had 6k to dish out on wheels...
Old 08-22-2011, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
Jealous. I could not afford real LM's I had to get reps.
Wish I had 6k to dish out on wheels...
I do spend a lot on my cars but as I tell people who ask how I can afford to I tell them I don't golf, boat, bowl, gamble, have season tickets to anything and don't take expensive vacations. I like cars and that's what I enjoy.

I'm also well over 40 so I have more money now for these pursuits than I did 15+ years ago when I was new parent...

And the LM's are still gorgeous after 4 plus years (never seen snow though) and I have hit many a pot hole and never had a problem. Can't go wrong with BBS forged wheels.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

LMs are stunning wheels and look great on the B8 IMO. Can't go wrong with any BBS wheels
Old 08-26-2011, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

a After many hours of research and some great help/information from Vivid Racing, that I could not have found on my own, I ordered my wheels today. I am beyond picky so I put a lot of hours into this.

Originally I was leaning toward BBS RE, a classically styled BBS forged wheel. However as I looked into some of the details the OEM wheels are 18x8.5 and the 18" BBS wheels were 8" wide and I didn't want a narrower wheel than stock. Too bad because I have always been very happy with BBS wheels

So after looking and rejecting numerous gorgeous monoblock wheels because very few, if any, make diameter wheels below 19" and I just didn't want to spend that much this time around I ended up buying... drum roll please

Advan RZ in an 18x9. I really fell in love with these wheels and they cost less than the BBS forged wheels and are only 19lbs, also less than any of the BBS models available

Although I ordered Hyper Silver (I like bright wheels) here are some pics of a Dark Gunmetal on a B8 S4. However these wheels are 19" and while they look fantastic the skinny sidewall tires make it obvious to me 18's is the better option for me and the crappy MA roads I drive on, also thrilled with the weight. 19lbs is awesome and should give me a significant reduction in unsprung weight and rotational mass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wheelst...7625275539681/

Thanks to the guys at Vivid who answered my numerous questions, also after searching many many web sights Vivid Racing has more wheels to see/compare than anyone except Tirerack but I believe a much higher quality of selection. It's a great sight for a guy like me who wants to see ALL the options.

Quick Reply: Wheel Suggestions?