S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Where do you get your winter tires done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you get your winter tires done?

Been looking into winter tires, and was just wondering do most of you guys just go to a preferred shop to swap in your winter tires? Or do you go to the dealership?

I've been looking at TireRack, but I'm not familiar with any of the installation shops they can ship to. Do any of you use a chain store like STS Auto Centers or Mavis for your s4 tires?

First time owning a car with dedicated winter tires for me....thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had mine shipped from TireRack directly to a local tire shop in the Chicago Burbs (called Suburban Tire). They were listed on TireRack's site as one of their preferred installers with set rates. I looked at some of their reviews and asked around a bit.

The whole process worked out perfectly. TireRack let you know via email when the tires were shipped and then delivered. The day they were delivered, I got a call from the tire shop letting me know they received my tires and would like to schedule an install appointment.

After the install, they sent me home with my 'dirty' tires in plastic bags. Everything worked out great!

I think the preferred vendors work pretty hard to please you as they want to stay on the preferred list on the TireRack website.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carguyrob
I had mine shipped from TireRack directly to a local tire shop in the Chicago Burbs (called Suburban Tire). They were listed on TireRack's site as one of their preferred installers with set rates. I looked at some of their reviews and asked around a bit.

The whole process worked out perfectly. TireRack let you know via email when the tires were shipped and then delivered. The day they were delivered, I got a call from the tire shop letting me know they received my tires and would like to schedule an install appointment.

After the install, they sent me home with my 'dirty' tires in plastic bags. Everything worked out great!

I think the preferred vendors work pretty hard to please you as they want to stay on the preferred list on the TireRack website.
Thanks...makes me feel better about using TireRack!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I too have used the Tirerack to local installer method and it equally worked out very well.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
I too have used the Tirerack to local installer method and it equally worked out very well.
+1
Old 11-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Same idea. I bought the wheels from Achtuning, and ordered the tires through TireRack and had them shipped to Achtuning. They offer free mounting, balancing, and swap out on the car. Pretty painless.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:48 AM
DOC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2011S4Ti
Same idea. I bought the wheels from Achtuning, and ordered the tires through TireRack and had them shipped to Achtuning. They offer free mounting, balancing, and swap out on the car. Pretty painless.
Same here: ordered wheel/tire combo from VMR. VMR contracts with Tire Rack, who shipped tires to VMR, who mounted and balanced them, and shipped them to me. VMR charges about a $10 premium over what Tire Rack charges direct, so I thought that a pretty good deal. Installed at local Firestone where I know the managers, and they take good care of me and the wheels.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 547 Likes on 368 Posts

I've had one good experience and one bad experience with installers recommended by Tire Rack. The bad experience resulted in two scratched wheels and an interior smeared with grease. I might be forced to go to the dealer next time.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I used Discount Tire. They will match or beat Tire Rack and install the tires.

Bruce
Old 11-17-2010, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have your location listed, but if you're in the DC Metro or Philly areas, give tirevan.com a look.

I saved some sweet mullah and they came to me.

Quick Reply: Where do you get your winter tires done?