S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Where is the Headlight Washer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the Headlight Washer?

I was under the impression that Headlight Washer is standard on S4? So I am surprised to find out it's not there on my Premium Plus.

Is it only available on Prestige model or they removed it for MY2102? (Audi USA website is again helpless...)
Old 03-29-2012, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinHee
I was under the impression that Headlight Washer is standard on S4? So I am surprised to find out it's not there on my Premium Plus.

Is it only available on Prestige model or they removed it for MY2102? (Audi USA website is again helpless...)
There are no headlight washers on US models.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ah got it. Saw a couple of discussions on it (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2817854), turned out to be our friends in the North.

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
There are no headlight washers on US models.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad there is no headlight washer. It only smears up the front end. Who really uses one or needs to wash their headlights anyway.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I'm glad there is no headlight washer. It only smears up the front end. Who really uses one or needs to wash their headlights anyway.
I totally agree. It is a cute gimmick but not of much practical value. I hate having residue on my hood from the washer fluid.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Yep. Have them (Canada) and, same as you cannot wash your car by simply hosing it off, without headlight wipers they really don't do much. They might be useful on a muddy road, but I don't live in Boratstan.

They do keep the washer fluid manufacturers in business, though.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default They're not COMPLETELY useless...

If you remove the OEM nozzles and replace with hose reducers they become great for moving the PITA shuffling pedestrians along faster!
That said, they should have a separate button a la Mercedes. And it should be childproof, ask me how I know! My 8 year old looooved to press that button! Chip off the old block(head)!
Trivial fact; our '96 E320 held WELL OVER TWO GALLONS in the reservoir! It actually had two compartments, one for headlight washer and one for WWF! they were attached in such a way that shared, but the WW got 3/4 of total capacity and the headlight washer could not drain them, but the WW could. Pretty ingenious! And the only way the Benz outdid the A8 (except for ostentatiousness)!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LeoR604
They might be useful on a muddy road, but I don't live in Boratstan.
Hee hee Boratstan! Just "got" that!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

To answer the original question, on the 2004 A8L, you hold the windshield washer on for more than 3 seconds and it'll go ahead and empty the rest of the WWF out the headlight washers for ya. Every time I tried it, it set off the (annoying animated) LOW FLUID icon, and necessitated a trip to NAPA!
Pretty stupid really, but necessary for the German Autobahnsgbodt (road certification law).
Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I like them. Everyone commenting here so far doesn't know what winter is.

Quick Reply: Where is the Headlight Washer?