S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Why SD cards?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
I don't get the advantage. I can burn a cd in seconds and have it forever for pennies, never care if I lose it and use it pretty much anywhere. Why use SD cards? I'm not against them, I just don't get the benefits.

There are several advantages, not the least of which is not having to burn 25-30 CDROMs and shuttle them all with the sneakernet to fill up the hard drive jukebox in the car.

The better question is "What advantage does CDROM have over SD cards?"

burning a CD in seconds:
If by "seconds" you mean "about 2 minutes". Low end SD cards can write and read data at many times that speed.

having it forever for pennies:
A 2 Gigabyte SD card will cost you 300 pennies and won't get scratched or skip during playback. Also, you don't need to buy a burner.

never care if you lose it:
It's remarkably hard to lose something that holds so much music that you rarely need to remove it from the console. Also, 3 bucks.

use it pretty much anywhere:
Does your mobile phone have a CD player?
how about your camera?
your HDTV?
your PDA?
your handheld GPS?
your MP3 player?

I bet you all of those devices have at least one type of SD card slot.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Um, yeah, I got it already, I was misinformed about the capacity of SD cards, but thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on my experience , I made a AAC copy of all the songs in itunes I wanted to copy. Hover at least 1/2 were unplayable because I get an error message on the MMI screen saying they are "damaged". Also, if you have windows XP, it will not support SG cards of 4GB and larger.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Also, if you have windows XP, it will not support SG cards of 4GB and larger.
Works fine for SDHC (>4GB) if you apply the patch
Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PoopinClumpin
Works fine for SDHC (>4GB) if you apply the patch
Or you could always, you know, use an O/S that is not a decade old...
Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default SD cards...

In my case, I purchased a SanDisk 8 GB Ultra SD card ($35 CAD at Costco) and loaded it up with music.

I buy original CD's but immediately afterwards, I "rip" them to 192 Kbps (better than CD quality apparently) using Roxio Record Now.

Then, I take the newly-created MP3 files and upload them to:

1. iTunes (which then syncs with Apple TV)and our iPod's.
2. Micro SD card for the B&O Beosound portable player.
3. Micro SD card for my Zumo GPS for my motorcycle
4. Blackberry Micro SD card for listening via my Blackberry.

and now

4. SD card for the Audi S4.

One key advantage I see for the SD card over most CD's is the fact that you can see CD names and song names on the screen. The sound quality is great - especially with the B&O sound system. I have yet to try the iPod connection in the glovebox, however, according to some on the forums, the sound quality is not as good as SD cards. I will see for myself eventually.

Hope this helps.

CanadianNorth
Old 07-08-2010, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

personally, I'm over mp3s. I just don't have the time to collect cds or even use bittorrent to download music then get it onto itunes, sync the music to 5 different devices and so on. I'm hooked on Pandora though... and wondering if I can use Pandora through the S4 I've ordered...
Old 07-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I read in the MMI user manual that you can only have some number of files/songs on the SD card. It sounded like a number that was less than how many would fit on a 32gb drive. Has anyone hit this limit? I think it was either 1000 or 3000... I don 't have the book in front of me.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

m444- you are a digital wuss. SD are fine. Keep a copy on your laptop if you are worried.

Bruce
Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snowbeer
I read in the MMI user manual that you can only have some number of files/songs on the SD card. It sounded like a number that was less than how many would fit on a 32gb drive. Has anyone hit this limit? I think it was either 1000 or 3000... I don 't have the book in front of me.
This isn't a limitation of SD cards, it's a limitation of the FAT32 file system. (Hint: CDROMs are also subject to this) Still, these limitations are per-folder. If you sort your music files into subfolders based on Artist/Album or similar, you will not have any problems filling up a a 32GB SDHC card and using all of it in your Audi.

Quick Reply: Why SD cards?