S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Will I regret not getting the Rear Sport Diff?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I regret not getting the Rear Sport Diff?

Picking up my first Audi tomorrow, a new 2010 S4 IBIS White with the Prestige Package S-Tronic. I didn't get any other options.

Will I regret not getting the Rear Sport Differential? I'll be using this car as my everyday car, I don't anticipate any other driving situations (track, etc ..)

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess if you don't know better you won't regret it... if you've driven one with the sport diff... you'll notice.

the sport diff makes a big difference... but its not like your non-sport diff version is undrivable. You might end up with more understeer... but thats nothing new with quattro.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Kind of a funny question to ask. I guess it all depends on you and what you expect from the car.

Personally, I would have regretted it if I did not order with the Sport Diff, but I plan to do a lot of aggressive driving and hopefully some track days.

My advice is to just enjoy it for what it is!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes. Even in day to day driving in makes a difference, I think. I went for the sport diff instead of the nice leather seats.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I hate to say it, but "yes" you will regret it. It's a pretty inexpensive option that really makes this car shine performance-wise.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be honest, I think it really depends on what you want to do with the car. If you're not an aggressive driver, you won't likely notice the understeer or whatnot that will make you enjoy the car any less. If anything, you'd more likely miss not having the B&O or Nav (I know we couldn't live without them!).

For me, I do tend to drive aggressively at times and really enjoy the more neutral handling the Sports Diff provides, so it was an easy decision to get it.

My $0.02: If you enjoy the car the way it is when you pick it up... who cares if it has Sports Diff or not? If you really think you'll need it or will regret it... then be sure to go for it!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
I hate to say it, but "yes" you will regret it. It's a pretty inexpensive option that really makes this car shine performance-wise.
Unfortunately, I will have to agree with this. The differential is pretty much the defining aspect of the new S4 if you ask me. Sure we've all read reviews where their tester didn't have the diff, but we've also read everything else that says you are really doing yourself a disservice if you don't get it.

That being said, unless you are an avid driver/racing enthusiast/take every corner like you are on the track, you will probably only miss it for a bit.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Something else you might want to consider is resale value. It appears that the prevailing opinion is that the diff is crucial for getting the most out of the car, so it stands to reason that it will be important when the time comes to sell. Personally I don't drive aggressively enough to really worry about the performance aspect but I would not buy one without it.

That said I'm sure it will still drive great without it and unless you really push it you will likely not worry about the diff in terms of your own enjoyment of the vehicle. Either way I'm jealous since it will be a while before I can trade up, diff or not
Old 11-30-2009, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not having it, I'd say odds are you won't know the difference since you won't be able to compare with vs. without. You'll fall in love with the car and look forward to driving it every day. That being said, I have pushed mine through some aggressive curves and have been amazed by the handling. It reminds me of a Boxster S I test drove twice and I have felt the rear diff kick in a few times. Feeling it has inspired me to push the edge a bit more as I grow more confident in my "feel" for the car. I'm glad I got it and have no regrets, but unless you really push your S4 I'd guess you'll likely never really notice a difference once you learn to trust the boundries of your new ride. Just set the ADS to Dynamic and punch it...I bet your smile will override any regrets regarding the rear diff. You'll learn to love your car for what it can do, not what it might be able to do with other options. Just enjoy it for what it is and don't look back!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by maudi09
Picking up my first Audi tomorrow, a new 2010 S4 IBIS White with the Prestige Package S-Tronic. I didn't get any other options.

Will I regret not getting the Rear Sport Differential? I'll be using this car as my everyday car, I don't anticipate any other driving situations (track, etc ..)

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You will not miss the diff as long as you will not drive S4 with it.
Than you will regret not having one. The diff realy makes a diff...nce

Quick Reply: Will I regret not getting the Rear Sport Diff?