S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Winter or All Season Tires for an S4

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter or All Season Tires for an S4

I recently picked up an ibis white 2010 prestige s-tronic S4, with sports differential (and my wife wanted the red leather interior and carbon fiber inlays). Although I have wanted an S4 since I was 19 years old, it took me 13 more years to be able to afford one. It's my first performance car, I've owned reliable non performance cars up until now (Integra, Civic, TSX).

The car is a daily driver for my wife or me depending on who gets to drive it that day, and the other one of us gets stuck with the civic. We might occasionally utilize the performance nature of this awesome car but we don't take it to the auto-cross track, etc or the drag strip. We live in Milwaukee, WI so we do experience some winter weather. I would say there are definitely less than 10 days per year when you are forced to drive in snow covered roads, probably averages more like 5 bad driving days. Milwaukee averages around 45" per year of snow.

My car came with Dunlop Sport Maxx high performance tires, which from what I can tell will suck in the snow or anything not dry. So my question is am I wasting my time in this car if I put on high performance all season tires when winter comes and just leave them on year around? I am looking at the Conti ExtremeContact DWS.

The alternative is to pick up some Blizzak's, the only winter tire on tirerack.com in 19" size, but then I either have to switch tires each season, or buy another set of rims. Substantial cash can be saved by going down to 18" rims with 40series instead of 35series, but I think the 19" rims really make this car look cool.

Recommendations?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I always run UHPAS tires. I run one set of tires/wheels all year long. Currently running Bridgestone Potenza RE 960AS. Have run the Pirelli Pzero Nero, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Yokahama ADVAN S.4.'s on S4's. All run fine in the snow. I am an avid skier.

I have friends at work that have the Conti DWS and they like them. They are very good in the snow and wet, but not as good as some of the others in dry and cornering. check link.

Bruce

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true
Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

You live in Milwaukee. You just spent $50k on a car you've wanted since you were 19 years old. The S4 is your daily driver. I say don't cheap out and get all seasons. Get dedicated snows on 18" wheels (don't worry about looking cool with 19" wheels in the winter), you can do it for $1,500 or less, I'm sure. Cheap new wheels or used wheels should be available for $150 each, plus snow tires at $200 each.

All seasons on an AWD drive car will get you going, the question is, will you be able to stop?

You can make your own choice, and my situation is a little different. I do go to autocrosses and driver's schools, so I really want a set of summer tires. Therefore, I need another set of wheels for winter. Then again, I live in Philadelphia, not Milwaukee, and I can walk to the train station to get to work when it snows. The problem is that I'm not taking the chance of being out somewhere when it starts to snow, and then crashing my car to save a few hundred bucks on snow tires.

When you sell your car, you can sell your set of wheels and snow tires separately, getting back a bunch of the cash you spent on it. Money well spent if you ask me.

Only "pain" is switching wheels twice a year...get a floor jack, learn to jack the car properly, get a torque wrench and some other simple tools to make the job as painless as possible.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree with Bruce (and Phil)...The all season tires should help a ton and they will do much better in the snow/ice than the summer rubber the S4 comes with.

I've had great luck with the Michelin Pilot A/S and the new A/S plus tires. I really don't think there is much difference in grip, unless you are tracking the car, and they will wear much longer, are cheaper to buy than some summer tires for the S4 and they will get you thru most winters. Great balance.

I drive thru quite a few wicked snow storms a year in Iowa and Nebraska so I'm looking for the ultimate in winter traction. I'm have the 19's as summer tires, but am considering stepping down to the 18's for the 3 or 4 months of harsh winter driving. Once you look at the 18's the winter selection really grows...Michelin, 2 good versions of Bridgestone, Dunlop, etc.

To me it is a question of how much security you are looking for during the winter months.

Last edited by redrocker55; 06-20-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+4, where you live it's worth it to get some 18's for winter with a narrow track that are true winters, and then some nice wheels (maybe 19x8.5) for summer grippy rubber!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you feel you need winter tires to drive in the snow, then you are a wuss IMO.

Bruce
driving in the snow for 38 years
Old 06-20-2010, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
If you feel you need winter tires to drive in the snow, then you are a wuss IMO.

Bruce
Says the guy living in an area which rarely has snow for more than a few days each year. It's a big difference living in a snow belt than choosing to go up into the mountains skiing in winter, but never having to deal with it every day all winter Bruce.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I do spend a fair amount of time in the mountains Neal. Generally not much snow in town, granted. You know how much grief was caused in Seattle area last couple years from snow (Mayor Nichols is toast now due to poor handling of snow stuff.)

Bruce
Old 06-20-2010, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

huh, I sorta didn't think it really snowed in Seattle.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar

Bruce

Quite possibly, the most stupid post ever created on AW.

Say you don't get winters and you crash your S4. Do you think because this guy thinks you're now a tough "non-wuss", like him I suppose, that will make you feel any better about yourself or your fd-up car. Think he'll be cutting you a check for your damage? Or admitting he was completely wrong?

Born and raised in New York, where it snows like a MotherF*ker every goddamn winter. Get the tires. For the peace of mind if for nothing else.

Winters don't mean you wont' get in a accident, but with a luxury car, you deserve every advantage you can get.

Quick Reply: Winter or All Season Tires for an S4