S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Winter or All Season Tires for an S4

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
The guy behind the counter at Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse drove there in a car with AS on it at best.
That's because he's both broke and stupid.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snowbeer
If I were to get rims for winter, does the construction of the rim matter? I notice tirerack.com has rims that are in the $200 range and then they jump to $600 right away. I assume there is something different between the two groups.
I've always either bought OEM wheels or BBS wheels. However, I think I might try some of the Hartmann replicas for my S4. A lot of people have bought them, and there are few complaints.

http://gallery.hartmannwheels.com/v/...B7_HRS4_-_252/

Downsides to cheaper wheels are generally: higher weight, more prone to bending (if you hit potholes...), and more prone to having issues with finish / clearcoat peeling.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PhilH
That's because he's both broke and stupid.
All he really has to be is one or the other. But the point is, he got there.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I lived in Phily area up untill one year ago and did fine with all season tires on A4 until I bought ski place in Vermont and learned the hard way and then begun swithching out for seasons. I had pretty good results with the Dunlop winter tire. Moved to New Hampshire last year and was glad I had winter set-up for A4. Now I have the S4 with the 19" tires and as noted on previous posts avalability is limited so may switch to 18" for upcomming Winter. Combination of snow and mountains equals winter set-up.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Add me to the list that suggest getting a second set of wheels and real winter tires.

I have been driving in MI for 30 years and am totally sold on snows. Their grip in snow and ice is so much better than with all seasons I now consider them a necessity. Even my wife's van has a set of winter snows, partly because her all seasons often can't get her up our driveway in the winter.

The idea that people in winter climates "know how to drive on snow" so they don't need them is silly. If it snows 2" in Texas, they drive 10mph. If it snows 6" in WI or MI we drive 40mph, so the penalty for a mistake is going to be higher. Not getting stuck and staying out of ditches is nice and all, but the real reason to have snows is to stop. Being able to stop as fast or faster than everyone around you gives you a much needed safety margin, no matter how experienced you are. Why you wouldn't want that when you drive your 50-60k baby I can't fathom. Although, I'll admit the grin I get as I drive by a truck stuck in a ditch on all-season tires is enough to make me feel the winter set was well worth the money.

As for wheels, don't skimp too much. We get a lot of winter/spring pot holes around here, so my first set of winter wheels were eggs after 2 seasons. Those were (poorly constructed) BBSs by the way. You don't need forged wheels, but look for the wheels with advanced casting constuction such as MAT. I have had these for 2 seasons and they are still perfect:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Price

Last edited by Songer; 06-21-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

OK, add me to the Wuss column of people who have winter tires. But I'm a SMART wuss. I have far too little time and space here to story-tell about times I've needed snow tires - not a highway tire that just passed the M+S spec to make it a "snow tire". And yes I live in Minnesota. Volume-wise not in class with upstate NY and most mountain areas, but we get more than our fair share. Milwaukee is really not that far behind.

But we have gotten off track here. Not only are you compromising your winter handing, but the summer too. You WILL notice a difference with pure summer tires over all-seasons. Even if you are not a hard-core autocrosser or street racer. You're going to have at least a little fun with this fabulous ride, aren't you?

Get some 18's for winter. Less width = better cutting through snow and slush. Yeah it's another expense but you can afford it. Tell your wife you're doing it for her safety (and you are).

-Jon
Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JLoft

Get some 18's for winter. Less width = better cutting through snow and slush. Yeah it's another expense but you can afford it. Tell your wife you're doing it for her safety (and you are).

-Jon
What does less width have to do with the tire diameter?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
What does less width have to do with the tire diameter?
The less the width, the easier it is to get through thicker stuff. Wider tire is more rolling resistance and keeps more snow under the tire to slip on. Thinner tire cuts down to where theres more traction, namely the pavement.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JLoft
OK, add me to the Wuss column of people who have winter tires. But I'm a SMART wuss.
++++I guess I'm a SMART wuss also.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You paid good money for an Audi witht he state of the art quattro, why not spend a little more on tires? If we wanted more of a plebian ride, we'd get a Subaru with AWD. You don't put on same shoes in the summer and winter you know. Why not correct shoes for your car?

Quick Reply: Winter or All Season Tires for an S4