S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Winter Tire and Stasis Question for upcoming new S4 2012 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tire and Stasis Question for upcoming new S4 2012 owner

Hi Guys. Long time reader, first time poster. I have a 2012 Ibis Prestige Titanium on order. Hopefully arriving in mid October. I have 2 quick questions. When you guys switch out to winter tires (I live in Massachusetts), what tires are best and do you think it is best to have separate winter wheels as well? Also, I am strongly considering doing some mods and I am leaning towards Stasis because of the warranty. Has anyone had anything done at Hoffman Audi in East Hartford, CT and either way, is it best to break in the car for a certain number of miles before doing any chip or exhaust work? Thanks guys and I have learned a ton from most of your posts. It has kept me going for the last 2 months while I am in waiting.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good question. I had the 20" summer tires on my Q5. I purchased a set of 18" Blizzaks and wheels from Tire Rack. I'm from Western MA. near the VT border and we get a lot of snow. Wouldn't think of running the summers. Will do the same if I get a S4.

Funny you should mention Hoffman I was there this weekend test driving a S4. Currently trying to get a good deal,well I just got the deal I was looking for.

Last edited by RCM09; 07-25-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I run 19" with summer rubber and 18" with Blizzaks in the winter. Like the way the 19's look but actually think the 18's are probably better for daily driving. Blizzaks squirm under load but the car is remarkable in the snow.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if you are going to swap to winter tires, then yes need winter wheels as well. can get new exahust anytime. probably wait for 800 miles or so to get chip.

Bruce
Old 07-25-2011, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not go Stasis for exhaust. Seems to be a consensus that it is the worst sounding of the aftermarket options, and by going aftermarket on exhaust you're not going to affect your warranty.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only reason to wait for chip is if you are worried the engine is going to go BOOM in the first 1K miles. Not likely but very remotely possible. But it would not be caused by the performance upgrade. There are always a bad engine or 2. One was reported on AZ about 6 months ago. I agree about not going with the stasis exhaust. Weaksauce. I would check out AWE and Milltek
Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AdFeldlong
Hi Guys. Long time reader, first time poster. I have a 2012 Ibis Prestige Titanium on order. Hopefully arriving in mid October. I have 2 quick questions. When you guys switch out to winter tires (I live in Massachusetts), what tires are best and do you think it is best to have separate winter wheels as well? Also, I am strongly considering doing some mods and I am leaning towards Stasis because of the warranty. Has anyone had anything done at Hoffman Audi in East Hartford, CT and either way, is it best to break in the car for a certain number of miles before doing any chip or exhaust work? Thanks guys and I have learned a ton from most of your posts. It has kept me going for the last 2 months while I am in waiting.
I have separate winter wheels and tires for my S4. Makes the changeover much faster and less expensive. Usually costs between $40-$60 every time you have to take wheels off rims and then have rebalanced. Makes more sense to buy some wheels. Try www.tireack.com as you can get some decent 18" wheels for $130-$150 a piece. I had Tires Plus Wheels in Hartford match the price from Tirerack if you are in area.

I use Hoffman Audi for service. No problems at all and it is easy to get an appointment. I bought the car in RI from Inskip but have bought cars from Hoffman before and will consider them for my next Audi.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would go with 18" winters on a dedicated rim. I used my stock rims and bought aftermarket 19" for the summer. If your in an area where they clear the snow promptly like mine I suggest a performance winter tire. If your in the deep stuff a lot then you may want to go with a non performance winter tire. I recommend my Wdrive Yokohama's they are excellent and feel similar to the stock Perelli's. They get aassing grade in the deep stuff. However with my area I would buy these again. If was further north I would shop elsewhere. As far as the tune I'd wait 1,600 km or 1,000 miles. I did so on my GTI and she's running like a top with 180,000 km on her. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would also vote for separate winter wheels and tires. I went with Dunlops on 18 inch rims. I had a good experience at Tirerack. The wheels came mounted and balanced.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't even SEEN 19" winter tires in the correct size. Tire Rack doesn't carry them, anyway...

Quick Reply: Winter Tire and Stasis Question for upcoming new S4 2012 owner