S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Winter tires or All-Seasons for Ski Commute?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree and also worry only about the other drivers - but when some ******** comes sliding through a stop sign and you have to make a "panic" evasive maneuver you might not have the option of driving within your own adhesion limits once in a while
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was surprised how well my Pilot Sport A/S's performed last year in the worst weather Philly has had in decades. I got to work the weekend we had 3 feet. Certainly they were aggressively plowing but the streets were as bad as I've ever seen them and I was feeling pretty confident.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
The reason he said it is that in the Northeast it is common to encounter mixed precip such as freezing rain, heavy wet packing snow with a rain component, sleet, mush, junk and whatever godawful crap you can imagine on the roads all the way from home to the hill. Winter at it's crappiest is pretty much the norm. Nice dry roads and then 50 miles of Caltrans-maintained highway with a 10 mile 2-lane at the end is kind of a different universe. (referring to the OP's loc not yours Bruce).

However as long as it isn't too deep, and you shouldn't be out in the deep in an S4 anyways, I'm not so sure that a good UPHAS won't cut it considering the AWD. However as my entire family was almost killed when I was a kid by getting head-on'd by a fully-loaded lumber truck in Claremont NH I think I'd spring for the snows in NE anyways.I ronically the fact that we had ****ty tires saved our lives, the lack of adhesion allowed us to reverse direction upon impact much more easily than if we had been glued to the road. Go figure.
Exactly, I also have a ski place in VT (purchased years before I moved to NH). I had a bad experience on my way to VT place few years back with all weather tires while the locals were buzzing by me. I then began switching to winters and have felt more confident. Perhaps it is somewhat psycological however I need to switch summer with 19" to 18" for winter anyway so may as well stick with winter set-up.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

For me, the decision to buy a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's and a set of 18" wheels to mount them on was clear. As the Tire Rack video explains in an earlier post with side by side comparisons, the all season tires are good in all conditions but not great in any of them. Since I had already made the decision to run high performance summer tires for a little over half of the year (it sounds like most of us are doing the same thing) I didn't want to compromise the winter performance of my other set of tires. Even though S4's do well with quattro and AS tires the differences in packed snow and icy conditions are dramatic. This difference can clearly be the difference between an accident and a close (or not so close) call. The Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's tied for first place in the Consumer Reports High Performance Winter category and is rated highly at Tire Rack. Based on its dry cornering and braking ratings I am only concerned with the days I will encounter snow and/or ice. One bad day on All Season tires would cost much more than my winter tires and wheels.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll take a look at the Yokohama W drives and the Michelin pa3's.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy the winter tires. If someone is colliding into you throw it into neutral.