S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Which winter tires for SE PA

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which winter tires for SE PA

Greetings,

I will be receiving my S4 mid to late September. Just in time to have a few months of summer tire driving. But want to order a wheel/tire package from Tire Rack. I see they have 4 or so brands of winter tires with all having their pros and cons. I have no issues with doing the swap myself so the amount of time the tires spend on the car will be minimal. In fact I will probably wait till the first snow and change them before I take the car out.

Living in Southeastern Pennsylvania we don't get Buffalo snow but enough to make driving an unplowed road a problem. I have a 4X4 for the heavy stuff but when caught at work during a snow storm would want to be driving my 50K+ car without worrying about crashing it in a turn.

The morning commute would most likely be the "day after" the storm rather than "day of". I would drive my Bronco for "day of" after the driveway gets done.

I hear Blizzaks are the best but very noisy. Dont want to drive the car sounding like a truck. As I can get that driving my truck! Dunlop, Michelin and Pirelli

But those reviews come from people with all types of cars. Anyone here from the same region have a preference with an AWD S4. I am interested in something better than all season performance in snow up to 3-4 inches. Tire size as well as with the S4's there is not a big choice of thinner tires with more sidewall.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by StevehamS4
I am interested in something better than all season performance in snow up to 3-4 inches. Thanks!
Dunlop WinterSport M3s are outstanding all the way around, They handle more like summer/performance tires when the roads are dry than any other winter tire I've experienced, but at the same time go through snow exceptionally well. Not as well as a Blizzak, but the tradeoff for better all-around performance is a perfect fit for the S4 and your situation, IMO.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Rial DH rims with Michelin Alpin are what I run in Winter. Got them as a set from Tirerack. The Rial are German made utilizing the same process as Audi OEM. The DH are hub-centric so easy on/off, maintaining OEM lugs. The Michelin's are very capable, yet quiet. I went with 245x40x18 for the Winter to afford a bit taller sidewall (potholes, etc.).
Old 08-08-2011, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here is what I went with. I am in your area, South Jersey. This setup should get me through almost anything this winter.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=15
Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Snows for good handling

I went with OZ Alleggerita HLT 18x8 anthracite shod with 235/45/18 Michelin PA3. You won't be disappointed with the grip on icy roads or handling on dry.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

My PZero's are nosier than my Blizzaks.
I'd say Blizzaks or Dunlop WinterSport 3D's.
I've had both and no complaints.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in SE PA and have experience driving my B6 S4 in winter. I also have an alternative car to use when the weather is really bad(02 Mountaineer AWD). My advice is not to use the S4 in the winter at all if you have an alternative. The salt and cinders here in the Lehigh Valley are horrendous. I used All seasons on my B6 s4 and will put A/S tires on my B8 when the OEM summer tires wear out. Got around just fine. But dedicated snows are definitely the way to go if you really want to get around in the snow.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

First, thank to for all your suggestions and comments.

Looks like I can't go wrong with all of what Tire Rack offers for the 245/40-18 sizes. I am looking at three wheels they offer. All having large areas between spokes to help reduce snow accumulation and help in clearing packed snow.

Sport Edition A7
Moda EB1
American Racing's Maverick

The Maverick looks like it can survive more pothole abuse with the stronger sections. Not looking for much weight savings as this is a winter wheel package.

Any issues with fit/alignment to anyones knowledge?

Thanks,
Old 08-08-2011, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have 19" Dunlop M3s on order at TR for my hollow spokes.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huey52
Rial DH rims with Michelin Alpin are what I run in Winter. Got them as a set from Tirerack. The Rial are German made utilizing the same process as Audi OEM. The DH are hub-centric so easy on/off, maintaining OEM lugs. The Michelin's are very capable, yet quiet. I went with 245x40x18 for the Winter to afford a bit taller sidewall (potholes, etc.).
I am seriously considering the Rials so the info is much appreciated. To the OP, I recently bought a set of barely used Blizzak LM25's on ebay. I was either going to swap the summers to Pilot A/S for around $1100 but thanks to ebay, I can build a snow set for about the same.

Quick Reply: Which winter tires for SE PA