S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Winter's coming...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ready for winter...

Heading to Leavenworth Sunday for the tree lighting festival and going snowboarding Monday. Should be a blast!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 9Schnell
Ready for winter...

Heading to Leavenworth Sunday for the tree lighting festival and going snowboarding Monday. Should be a blast!
Looks good!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ski racks installed and ready for a Friday ski trip so long as conditions are good. Although I may revert to the pass through until I need all the trunk space as I've noticed the rack creates a fair bit of wind noise and is adding ~ approx 1.5 l/100km to the highway fuel consumption (9.5 to 11.0 or 25mpg without racks to 21mpg with them).

Wheels are Rial DH with Michelin Pilot Alpins, 235/45/R18 as installed last year - wearing well so far. Considering mud flaps through as I think these wheels have a slightly greater offset (ie stick out more) and no end of crap gets sprayed up the sides of the car.
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seablues4
Ski racks installed and ready for a Friday ski trip so long as conditions are good. Although I may revert to the pass through until I need all the trunk space as I've noticed the rack creates a fair bit of wind noise and is adding ~ approx 1.5 l/100km to the highway fuel consumption (9.5 to 11.0 or 25mpg without racks to 21mpg with them).

Wheels are Rial DH with Michelin Pilot Alpins, 235/45/R18 as installed last year - wearing well so far. Considering mud flaps through as I think these wheels have a slightly greater offset (ie stick out more) and no end of crap gets sprayed up the sides of the car.
Sweet. I'm planning on heading up Friday also. One thing I don't like about having the ski racks, besides the increased fuel consumption, is how the retention brackets hold the rubber door seal out just a little bit. On our last rainy day, water was able to enter through the little gap in the rubber seal so that when I opened the door some rainwater dripped down onto the seat.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Sweet. I'm planning on heading up Friday also. One thing I don't like about having the ski racks, besides the increased fuel consumption, is how the retention brackets hold the rubber door seal out just a little bit. On our last rainy day, water was able to enter through the little gap in the rubber seal so that when I opened the door some rainwater dripped down onto the seat.
Yeah, I noticed that it wasn't a perfect line up for the door seals. Guess there'll be no car wash visits for me with the racks installed, although they advise against that in any case.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I like how the door trim has the holes into which the studs on the ski rack brackets insert. It made lining up the racks very easy. Those holes are something that one probably would not notice if he did not use a roof rack. It's a nice touch.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I seem to have been swayed to Dunlop from Bridgestone Blizzaks. Does anyone have experience with the 4d winter sport? A local tire shop has an excellent deal as compared to tire rack, presumably the 4d would be better than the 3d but I hate to assume.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 AM
jgd
Banned

Originally Posted by Pilfer
I seem to have been swayed to Dunlop from Bridgestone Blizzaks. Does anyone have experience with the 4d winter sport? A local tire shop has an excellent deal as compared to tire rack, presumably the 4d would be better than the 3d but I hate to assume.
I have had the 3D for two seasons now and they work great.

Last edited by jgd; 12-04-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by seablues4

I need to purchase the cross bars to attach my ski box to. Where did you purchase your cross bars?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fonseca_Q5
I need to purchase the cross bars to attach my ski box to. Where did you purchase your cross bars?
Get the Yakima Whispbars. They're awesome, easy to set up, and very quiet on the roof.

http://www.rei.com/product/835221/wh...-roof-bar-pair

Quick Reply: Winter's coming...