S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Is it worth it to get the Nav pkg?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it to get the Nav pkg?

It is a $3,200 option over here (HDD Nav sys/dvd player/parking rear sensors&rear cam/speech dialogue sys) and I wonder if it is better than aftermkt? Would it be since it is integrated w/ the car and hence should work better? Or are aftermkts way better?

I don't really care about resale value since I will be keeping the S4 for virtually the life of the car.

What's your view?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got it because of the integrated look. There are definitely cheaper options.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

you gotta get the nav pack as it just looks so good and you cant beat OE functions. if you are spending that amount on a high performance high end car you would be crazy not spend the extra to lad it up with the best equipment. i "found" an s4 avant in sprint blue with the following. IMHO the bare minimum required. if i waited 6 months i would have added heated seats.

19" 5 segment spoke alloys
Milano leather
Audi drive select
quattro sports differential
Bang & Olufsen sound system
Black styling pack
Tech pack high
Old 04-18-2010, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tranquility
It is a $3,200 option over here (HDD Nav sys/dvd player/parking rear sensors&rear cam/speech dialogue sys) and I wonder if it is better than aftermkt? Would it be since it is integrated w/ the car and hence should work better? Or are aftermkts way better?

I don't really care about resale value since I will be keeping the S4 for virtually the life of the car.

What's your view?
Totally up to you. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

Having said that, I would not think of placing my order without it. Here's my reasoning, take it for what it's worth.

1. 3D navigation. I had this feature on my old Pathfinder and it's amazing.

2. Voice command. On this car, totally intuitive and very, very precise. I've played with it on a couple of 3G MMI models, and it rocks. Compared to my Acura, it blows it away. And the Acura has a button for everything, so it's pretty redundant. In the Audi, it's nice to have to go through a couple of layers on the MMI.

3. If you get a leftover 2010, the display between the dials will be color, not monochrome. On 2011's, this is moot, as the color screen there is standard.

4. Nav integrated. No wires, nothing hanging from windshield, less likely to get stolen, easier to hear directions, nav directions pop up on display screen between gauges, etc.

Drawbacks:

1. Expensive compared to a stand alone.
2. Expensive to update.
3. Cannot be used in more than one vehicle.

IMO, the Audi's nav is top of the heap, at this point. But you're the only one who can make that decision.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

It was definitely worth it for me.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Totally up to you. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

Having said that, I would not think of placing my order without it. Here's my reasoning, take it for what it's worth.

1. 3D navigation. I had this feature on my old Pathfinder and it's amazing.

2. Voice command. On this car, totally intuitive and very, very precise. I've played with it on a couple of 3G MMI models, and it rocks. Compared to my Acura, it blows it away. And the Acura has a button for everything, so it's pretty redundant. In the Audi, it's nice to have to go through a couple of layers on the MMI.

3. If you get a leftover 2010, the display between the dials will be color, not monochrome. On 2011's, this is moot, as the color screen there is standard.

4. Nav integrated. No wires, nothing hanging from windshield, less likely to get stolen, easier to hear directions, nav directions pop up on display screen between gauges, etc.

Drawbacks:

1. Expensive compared to a stand alone.
2. Expensive to update.
3. Cannot be used in more than one vehicle.

IMO, the Audi's nav is top of the heap, at this point. But you're the only one who can make that decision.
Just curious how you know point 3... IE any leftover 2010's will be color and not monochrome? I hope your right since I am getting a very late production 10.

OP, It's a personal choice. I debated it, but my logic was I won't be driving the car on any long roadtrips where the NAV would actually add value and I thought the cost was high. I also like the mmi control on the dash so to say and not by the shifter. There is no doubt it is a nice system and has additional features like the voice command and color display. For the $2,500(US) that it cost I was able to add the 19's($900), carbon inlays($500), and B&O($850) at a lower cost. To me all options on this car are a choice thing with the exception of the SD. Just my .02 later Ron
Old 04-18-2010, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by primetime
Just curious how you know point 3... IE any leftover 2010's will be color and not monochrome? I hope your right since I am getting a very late production 10
The OP is from Canada and color DIS's are standard on all S4's - with or without nav. From what I've seen 2010 US base models without nav have a monochrome DIS. Hopefully for you they've made the change before yours arrives (assuming you're in the US)
Old 04-18-2010, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sworksone
The OP is from Canada and color DIS's are standard on all S4's - with or without nav. From what I've seen 2010 US base models without nav have a monochrome DIS. Hopefully for you they've made the change before yours arrives (assuming you're in the US)
Gotcha.... Audi is so weird with their options and such.... didn't know color was standard in Canada either way... Thanks... Hopefully they have made the change like you said... Only time will tell... later Ron
Old 04-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tranquility

What's your view?
I debated it as well. My wife's Mercedes GLK has Nav and I have a portable Garmin unit. We rarely drive long-distances outside of the Maritimes (usually fly) and there's nowhere I go in Halifax (relatively small Canadian city of 400 000) where I really need a map. I have the Garmin for those rare addresses I'm not familiar with. If the Nav option had been more reasonable ie: $1500 I would have thought about it but at $3200 Cdn?? Seriously? I know that it would have gained me the backup camera (my premium Cdn model already has rear parking sensors and seriously... its a sedan, not a large SUV), the fancier looking MMI screen and some minor functionality changes with the B & O stereo but all in all not worth over $3000 in my opinion. I trained for a very long time to be in a position to have earning potential for a car such as the S4 and I don't part with my hard-earned money easily. If I lived in Toronto, Vancouver or a large US city where I was regularly going places I didn't know perhaps it would be different.

On another note: I've had my car 3 weeks now and absolutely love it! Came from a BMW 330i (also a great car), and have no regrets. It's nice to have AWD again. My options? Phantom black, silver-black leather, premium pkg, 6 speed manual, sport differential and B&O. I'm very pleased with the spec and don't regret any of the options or omissions. You really can't go wrong with any spec on this car. Cheers.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sworksone
My bad, I did not notice he was from the Great White North.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it to get the Nav pkg?