S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

worthwile getting Audi winter wheel package?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plivac
So.. I asked about getting second set of existing 19" 5 tri-spoke wheels with winters and he said $3,000 with tires.... "but, he will get back to me on that".
Question: Why would anyone want 19" winter wheels/tires? No sidewall+ winter potholes = bent wheels and LOTSA $$$ lost....

Get 18" or even 17". The whole setup will be WAY cheaper and WAY more durable.

As an example, 18" VMRs plus Michelin Pilot Alpins would run less than $1500 total.

Just sayin'....
Old 10-11-2010, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Question: Why would anyone want 19" winter wheels/tires? No sidewall+ winter potholes = bent wheels and LOTSA $$$ lost....

Get 18" or even 17". The whole setup will be WAY cheaper and WAY more durable.

As an example, 18" VMRs plus Michelin Pilot Alpins would run less than $1500 total.

Just sayin'....
I live in Manhattan, and do mostly city and occasional highway driving - so I figure 19 inch is OK. Potholes are not bad if you drive slowly - currently have 19" and no problems - occasional pothole here and there....

Also, and this is personal, I don't mind spending extra $1,000 on a wheel combo that I like. That said, I am most likely going to buy from Hartmann since I like their look better than the VMRs and it appears to me that their rims are "tailored" for audi.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Where I live, potholes aren't really an issue. The winter tires are for icy or cold conditions.

Suppose you lived here... decent roads, gets cold in bursts, some snow and ice but not huge amounts, some trips to ski resorts but still on well-maintained roads, expecting La Nina this year, but probably half of the winter will be bare and above freezing... you wouldn't want to sacrifice as much in performance or looks as if you live in, e.g., New Hampshire.

That said, I'm looking towards 18" unless I can find some great 19" upgrades from my stock tri-spokes, because I expect to be able swap the wheels reasonably quickly. (Have air compressor, will swap wheels. )
Old 10-11-2010, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not sure if it's the quality of the roads in MIchigan vs. Toronto, but I've had replicas on my last 3 cars, and never had an issue with this.

That said, I only had each of those cars for 4 years each.

Originally Posted by Songer
Buy cheap rims for winter and you will just be buying new rims again in 2-3 years, and maybe bearings. I bought some of the cheaper BBS wheels years ago and they were eggs in 2 years. I drove to TireRack and had them take a look.. nothing they could do.

Winter or summer, no more cheap rims for me. (No more BBSs for me either). Better rims also sell better if you want something different later.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Now thats what I will be getting for half the price...

18x8 moda MD9 Machined w/Black Accent
for 2010 Audi S4 Sedan Premium Plus
In Stock
$128.00 Total: $512.00

245/40R18 XL Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D Blackwall AO (Audi)
for 2010 Audi S4 Sedan Premium Plus
In Stock
$223.00 Total: $892.00

Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing: FREE

Estimated Total: $1,404.00

Source: tirerack

Now thats what I call a deal...not the 3K audi winter package package...
Old 10-11-2010, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KrustyClown
I'm not sure if it's the quality of the roads in MIchigan vs. Toronto, but I've had replicas on my last 3 cars, and never had an issue with this.

That said, I only had each of those cars for 4 years each.
I'm not saying all replicas are bad, just that some are poorly constructed. I have never had a problem with factory rims so they are a safe bet, but you can get replica wheels that are probably just as strong and cheaper. If you go that route you just have to be careful. Definitely avoid wheels with plain gravity casting and I am also wary of any wheel that goes for less than 200.00/wheel. Even if the wheel stays true, you are still likely to have issues with the finish durability.

If you don't want to worry about durability and resale, factory wheel are a reasonable choice even at their higher price.

Last edited by Songer; 10-11-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MattPec
Unfortunately, with our new centerbore, that is easier said than done unless you want to go with an ugly 2009 A4 wheel (no offense to our A4 brethren).

Maybe this is easier than I'm making out but having a wheel bored sounds like more of a hassle than just going with a less expensive wheel - most packages for VMR, Hartman, or similar priced wheels at TR (Elbrus, Moda, etc) come in at around $1500. Plus you usually get some mounting/balancing with those deals.
I have owned a B8 since May 2009, so I'm aware of the 66.56 PITA centrebore. I hate how they changed. Just like I hate how BlackBerry changed the charger plugs on new phones.

I was referring to 18" S4 wheels, that look like the C6 S6 wheels. Those are pretty solid looking, and everyone sells them and upgrades it seems.

Or you could buy 18" VMR 708 or 710...or something.

Point being buying some dealership wheel package is tantamount to wiping your *** with money...unless you really really really like convenient shopping.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
I was referring to 18" S4 wheels, that look like the C6 S6 wheels.
So do those have the new centerbore or would I be in the same position with those?

Originally Posted by sakimano
Point being buying some dealership wheel package is tantamount to wiping your *** with money...unless you really really really like convenient shopping.
LOL. I couldn't agree more. Though I'm intrigued by that "take-off" option someone else mentioned. Given the number of dealerships within 90 miles of Chicago (about 10), that might be a good option if they're priced well.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

So.... I finally ordered my winter setup (for NYC):

tires - Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II 255/35R19
$1,200 with Road Hazzard

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dClar=Prestige

rims - hartmann Euromesh 3 19"
$1,200 balanced w/ shipping to dealer

http://gallery.hartmannwheels.com/v/...nt/Euromesh_3/

decided with sportier look in the end.....
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can anyone give me any personal performance info on ASA AR9 With Spoke Inserts rims? I may get these for winter use

Quick Reply: worthwile getting Audi winter wheel package?