S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Would you have purchased an S5...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come nobody mentioned the S5 Sportbacks?

S5 Styling with 4 doors ..
Old 08-18-2012, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a 2009 S5 with the V8, loved the looks, loved the engine sound when I did actually hear it. Did not like the rear seats, and absolutely despised the crappy sunroof only tilting open. You can't beat the sleek styling of the coupe though. This time around I went with the S4. Love the convenience of the four doors, love the sunroof opening all the way, and love the responsiveness of the engine. Don't miss the growl of the V8 as I rarely if ever actually heard it. Over all I like the S4 better.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by coolspotz
How come nobody mentioned the S5 Sportbacks?

S5 Styling with 4 doors ..
Probably because they're not sold in the US.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 510B8
It's probably silly to a lot of people, but the non-opening sunroof on the A5/S5 was a deal breaker for me. The V8 at the time had no appeal to me. Now that it has the V6, the S5 is more appealing. However, if I had to make the decision today, my S4 will still win; it's just a matter of preference. I'm impressed when I see the S4s and the S5s on the road.
Yes, forgot about the sunroof only tilting. Believe it or not, that also was a deal breaker for me
Old 08-18-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree with the point on the sunroof (S5) not opening. I suspect this was done to provide the maximum amount of headroom while retaining the design. However I have a panoramic roof in my current DD that I seldom open. This is due to being on the phone a lot and there is to much background noise to carry a conversation.

For me, I have been going back-n-forth between the S4 and S5. Both have their strong points. If the V8 remained in the S5, it would've been a simple decision to order a S4. However the design and rarity, whether A5/S5/RS5, is very appealing.

From time-to-time I would have 3-4 passengers. Would the S5 work, yes. But the S4 would be better. Plus it would save me (roughly) 3.5K USD compared to a similarly equipped S5.

My practical side says order the S4 but my emotional/fun side is screaming S5. Most likely I'll change my mind several times before the dealer places the order with Audi.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lease will come up this year and with the engine change I am tempted to switch to the S5. Rarely use the back seat and the sun roof thing is not an issue for me. However, I do have investment in winter wheels for S4 which I like and I believe I have read bolt pattern no good for the s5
Old 08-18-2012, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by WHTMTNS4
Lease will come up this year and with the engine change I am tempted to switch to the S5. Rarely use the back seat and the sun roof thing is not an issue for me. However, I do have investment in winter wheels for S4 which I like and I believe I have read bolt pattern no good for the s5
WHTMTN, I am jealous of the roads that are near you. Plenty of areas to enjoy a vehicle like the S4/S5. Down in my area it's interstate driving and sometimes gridlock. I've been up there with a group of BMW owners driving on the Kanc, around and up Mt. Washington and Bear Notch (all before the campers are on the road).

I would think the bolt pattern is the same. I believe the rims for MY13 are identical between the S4 and S5. Others on the forum can comment further.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NHman
WHTMTN, I am jealous of the roads that are near you. Plenty of areas to enjoy a vehicle like the S4/S5. Down in my area it's interstate driving and sometimes gridlock. I've been up there with a group of BMW owners driving on the Kanc, around and up Mt. Washington and Bear Notch (all before the campers are on the road).

I would think the bolt pattern is the same. I believe the rims for MY13 are identical between the S4 and S5. Others on the forum can comment further.

Yes the wheel options for the two models are the same.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NHman

Actually live right of the Kanc (Conway side) so it is a daily adventure. Thanks for the feedback
Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Christo123
Yes, forgot about the sunroof only tilting. Believe it or not, that also was a deal breaker for me
That is actually a major design flaw in my opinion as well. Again, I like as much open air driving as possible.

Quick Reply: Would you have purchased an S5...